Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac Disease And Other Food Intolerances

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I was found to be Celiac through the Enterolab testing. It didn't show up in the celiac blood panel. Other Enterolab results showed casein intolerance. I just got back the egg, yeast and soy and it showed mild reaction to egg and a high reaction to soy. I just don't know what to think right now as it seems there are so many foods I will have to take out of my diet. Could there possibly be a mistake? Once one stops eaten gluten is it possible the other food intolerances might go away?

Ads by Google:

HI

ACTUALLY I THINK THAT YOU'RE LUCKY TO HAVE FOUND THIS OUT ALL AT ONCE..AS I THINK YOU'LL HEAL FASTER.

I WISH I HAD CUT DAIRY, SOY, CASEIN ALONG WITH GLUTEN WHEN I FIRST STARTED.

TESTED WITH THE LAB AFTER 20 MONTHS gluten-free AND THESE SHOWED UP.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS AND WE'LL HELP ALL WE CAN

JUDY

I think Enterolab only tells you if you are gluten intolerant. Did they do the gene testing as well, find it positive, and say you are celiac?

I had positive results to everything (I see you don't mention yeast -- I'm jealous :lol: )

I emailed Enterolab and asked what the margin of error was, since the yeast score was so low. (The egg one was low too. But that's because I've tried to avoid eggs for years since they often caused gastric distress.) I didn't get an answer to that one.

The answer they gave me would indicate that the other intolerances are permanent. If you don't eat the foods the antibodies go down. But if you start eating them again, they go up. I've heard people say that after 6 months or a year they have been able to eat things they couldn't tolerate before. But I don't remember anyone saying this who had had the Enterolab testing.

The only research I've found relates to yeast. It found that some celiacs stopped creating the antiyeast antibodies after a time on a gluten-free diet. The abstract didn't mention them avoiding yeast.

I'm planning on staying away from everything long enough to cure the malabsorption and for the antibodies to clear out of my system. I might then try to introduce back the yeast and then the soy. Cutting out the soy is difficult since I'm vegetarian. Eating at home isn't that big a problem, but lacking soy cuts out a lot of what I can eat in a restaurant. So many Asian dishes, for instance, have soy sauce in them. A couple times restaurants have made adjustments for me, but the results have been rather tasteless.

I don't know I'm giving you any answers. Just trying to tell you that you are not alone. For what that's worth :lol:

You might want to cut out both egg and soy for a while. Not with the paranoia required for gluten, but be very careful. After you've been gluten-free for a while start adding back small amounts of egg. If you feel bad when you eat it, then you can't eat it. Some people find they can tolerate a little, or just whites, or just yolks.

Then do the same with soy. My opinion is: if you are producing antibodies, but it doesn't make you feel bad, then limit that particular food, but don't stress about it.

You might want to cut out both egg and soy for a while. Not with the paranoia required for gluten, but be very careful. After you've been gluten-free for a while start adding back small amounts of egg. If you feel bad when you eat it, then you can't eat it. Some people find they can tolerate a little, or just whites, or just yolks.

Then do the same with soy. My opinion is: if you are producing antibodies, but it doesn't make you feel bad, then limit that particular food, but don't stress about it.

I agree with this. Cut it out entirely in the beginning, then challenge it after a few months to see if you react. I did this with dairy, my score was 30, and I have no problem whatsoever with dairy. It doesn't bother me at all. I can't really explain why my score was so high ... but there is no test that is perfect.

I had a negative celiac blood test, negative biopsy and positive Enterolab. I am very sensitive to gluten and need to avoid it as seriously as a celiac.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/SingaporeCeliacs/
    • Today was the big day when I went to the GI and this is the first time I have felt heard and taken care of.  I told him about the two celiac blood tests  (in my first post) normal, he said that often happens, even with people who do have celiac and he needed to see the report and pictures from my endoscope.    I had filled out the appropriate Kaiser paperwork for Sutter to send all my medical records, but they ended up sending a disc with records to me, which Sutter said they could not use.  We also talked about gluten sensitivity v. celiac, and he said a lot of people are sensitive to gluten even if they don't have celiac. He said that my symptoms sound like classic IBS, which can be caused by any number of things.  He asked if I would try the FODMAP diet, which limits certain foods and requires no gluten. He said my symptoms sound like classic IBS, which he said can be caused by any number of things, including gluten sensitivity.  He has asked if I would try the FODMAP diet, which has restricted foods as well as no gluten because most gluten products have wheat in them.  So, since I am planning on going gluten free anyway, and I don't want another endoscope or blood tests if absolutely necessary, I am going to try the FODMAP diet and see what happens. I filled a consent form at the GI office today to have all my records sent to him so he can view the endoscope pathology report and photos.  I have an appointment with a Registered Dietician on September 30, and follow up appointment the GI in 4 months. 
    • gluten-free andee, according to an article on celiac.com  that talks about this subject see this link http://www.celiac.com/articles/24406/1/Celiac-Diease-and-Other-Autoimmune-Diseases-Equals-Low-Inflammatory-Diet/Page1.html Quoting the author "In the author's personal experience, a gluten-free diet has many limitations. The reactivity between alpha gliadin and corn, millet, oats, rice and dairy has been denounced as invalid by gastroenterologists and celiac disease researchers. While at a medical school in Missouri, biopsies did not show improvement in villous atropy until all alpha gliadin sources and corn, millet, rice and oats were removed from the diet."  Note this research is two years old but hilites the problem with non-gluten rice protein that you are having. It is the alpha gliadin sources that it causing the cross reactivity you are experiencing when you eat rice protein's. She says quoting "Celiac disease has gotten the most attention in antibody research, but the current data on cross-reactivity of antibodies is allowing a better understanding of gluten sensitivity. Antigen reactivity to alpha-gliadin can trigger immune attacks on many individuals beyond those with positive DQ 2, DQ 8 and TTG test results. She goes on to say "A low inflammatory diet customized to each person through testing for cross-reactivity or elimination diet protocols is needed to restore a state of health and well-being."  which sounds exactly like what you are doing. If you are still having problems after elminating rice a 30 day elimination of all the alpha gliadin proteins might be in order.  Corn is a common reactivity problem I hear with a gluten allergy from my friends as well as the obvious lactose problems that can be common among celiacs.  But rarely do you hear Rice allergy's brought up in context of a gluten allergy. I am glad you are making progress on finding your triggers. Read the whole article for yourself to see if there are nuggets of truth I did not highlight in my response. I hope this is helpful. Good luck on your journey to health. Posterboy,
    • One other thing - you might be able to tolerate some dairy if it's only the FODMAPs problem. I discovered that many cheese such as cheddar have effectively no lactose. And my wife sometimes makes 24 hour yoghurt, which also has effectively no lactose. Those have been fine for my tummy.
    • Celiacs got better gluten-free. Post-war, grains became available again and the same patients got sick again. 1952 the Gluten-Free Diet is officially ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Chelsealarita