Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Broth?

6 posts in this topic

I've read a couple times elsewhere on this board that companies add broth to raw chicken and, from these posts, it's my understanding that this broth is NOT gluten-free? I'm very confused. Could anyone clear this up for me?

Ads by Google:

Well, it's not that the broth is not gluten-free, it's that we may not know if it's gluten-free. Broth certainly can contain modified food starch, or natural flavors - two suspect ingredients. When I was in Ft. Wayne last week and hit the grocery store, they chicken (I think it was Purdee? I don't know... I dont' see it in CA a lot) said right on the package: "enhanced with up to 15% injected broth solution". It might be gluten-free, but I wasn't able to call the company.

I've always reacted to the broth that they put in chicken, pork, etc. I found a store in Denver that sells meat without the broth or any additives and haven't had a problem with it.

Nadia

The local warehouse store sells Tyson's bagged frozen boneless chicken breasts which have broth added. When I called the company I was told that the chicken broth is gluten-free. I made the lady explain and she said they just boiled chicken and chicken parts in water and that was the broth which is added to the meat. I eat the chicken regularly and never have a problem.

According to the USDA, if a company includes wheat or barley in a broth or "flavor" in raw meat, they must clearly list the wheat or barley. Despite all the warnings we always get about this, I have yet to find wheat added to a raw or fresh poultry or pork.

There are, however, chemicals that might disagree with some people.

richard

Thank you for your answers! It's boggling sometimes to figure this all out.