24 replies to this topic

#16 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

I was told here in Pittsburgh that they don't use your blood if you have any autoimmune disorders.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

Bring your own snack though, for afterwards.

Dear m,

That is a very good suggestion. They have juice of course which is gluten-free I would suppose (although can one ever use that word again), but they usually have crackers, cookies, things such as that. So what would you bring? Maybe a muffin, some gluten-free poker chips? Fruit?

Ashley,

Giving blood is great. I always found it to be quite therapeutic. Your doing something good and helping overcome fears at the same time (Hope it's not just me that's more than a little anxious every time). Your putting complete trust in a total stranger, albeit a professional (hopefully). I've given many times during blood drives, but also for a program whereby one signs up for a recipricating supply based on family need. Like blood insurance for your family. Keep up the good work.

best regards, lm

p.s., Demain le coeur se rappelle!

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#18 miles2go

miles2go

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

>Dear lm,

crackers, cookies, things such as that. So what would you bring? Maybe a muffin, some gluten-free poker chips? Fruit?

>Hi, I know this quote isn't going to work right...
I would bring a ginormous gluten-free cheeseburger and smile big while the grease dripped down to my elbows. :)
That and all of the above.

Bests backatcha,
Margaret

Demain, le monde!

#19 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

Yes, I'll have to remember that snack. I saw some of the snacks the Red Cross were given away. My friend spotted a piece of some resturant's bread roll. She was going about how gross it was and I was thinking blankly "I'd kill for that bread if I could eat it."

LC- That feel of doing something good is what I aim for. :) I couldn't donate at this semester's blood drive (Still 16. Gotta be 17). I can understand getting nervous, though. The doctors have had my blood draw a billion times and it just makes me uneasy when you have to have a stranger take your blood.

Sorry! English is the only language I speak, so, I have no clue what you are saying. The phrase in my signature is from this pretty poem by Paul Verlaine I found translated in a book. I thought it was pretty neat so I just added it on in my signature.

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

#20 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

I was told here in Pittsburgh that they don't use your blood if you have any autoimmune disorders.

Interesting. This is one of the several places I've read that it's ok--

http://www.celiaccen...rg/faq.asp#give
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#21 Run_4_Jesus

Run_4_Jesus

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Ashely -
I'm in the same boat as you. I can't give blood until next year because you have to be 17. The blood drive at our school is on March 14th and I'll be 17 on April 3rd so I just barely missed it. Luckily I weigh enough, I'm like 115 or something.
I've been diagnosed with Celiac my whole life. I was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia.
I'm a long distance runner for my school's cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track teams and I try my hardest not to let Celiac, hypoglycemia, or anything else slow me down!

I LOVE Jesus with my whole heart and am committed to serving Him for life!

#22 miles2go

miles2go

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Yes, I'll have to remember that snack. I saw some of the snacks the Red Cross were given away. My friend spotted a piece of some resturant's bread roll. She was going about how gross it was and I was thinking blankly "I'd kill for that bread if I could eat it."

LC- That feel of doing something good is what I aim for. :) I couldn't donate at this semester's blood drive (Still 16. Gotta be 17). I can understand getting nervous, though. The doctors have had my blood draw a billion times and it just makes me uneasy when you have to have a stranger take your blood.

Sorry! English is the only language I speak, so, I have no clue what you are saying. The phrase in my signature is from this pretty poem by Paul Verlaine I found translated in a book. I thought it was pretty neat so I just added it on in my signature.

-Ash

Hi Ash,
If I'm remembering correctly, you can give blood at your local Red Cross anytime, whether or not they're having a blood drive, but I'm not a donor, so I could be wrong. Remember that snack whether you're giving or not; I've been on a cheeseburger kick these last few weeks and it is all about the goodness. I can't recall if you can eat dairy or not, but a hamburger would do in a pinch, too, I figure. Sorry about all the French, I thought and probably lm, too, that you were fluent, because it is a beautiful quote in your sig. I'm guessing that you know that your quote reads "It rains upon my heart", lm's reads "Tomorrow, the heart will remember me" (or "I'll remember my heart" or a variation thereof) and mine reads "Tomorrow, the world". I guess I was just feeling big when I wrote it. 'Twas the cheeseburger thoughts, I swear. ;)
Sorry you have to research this so much. You should be able to just show up and donate blood, methinks.
Margaret

#23 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

.....I thought and probably lm, too, that you were fluent, because it is a beautiful quote in your sig. I'm guessing that you know that your quote reads "It rains upon my heart", lm's reads "Tomorrow, the heart will remember"... and mine reads "Tomorrow, the world".

Hi Margaret & Ashley,

You, Margaret, are the only one that speaks French. I thought Ashleys signature was intriguing, did a quick google on it. Discovered the poet Paul Verlaine. Googled "translator", went to:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Translated her "Il pleure dans mon coeur" into ""It cries in my heart". Felt compelled to compose my own French saying using said translator, and Viola, here we are.

I always figure someone puts something mysterious in their sig, someone should respond to it.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#24 miles2go

miles2go

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

Mais oui, je parle le langue, kind of.
Je pense qu'Ashley est un guy.
Bet you don't need babelfish for that. ;)
Ash, correct me if I'm wrong...

#25 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

Mais oui, je parle le langue, kind of.
Je pense qu'Ashley est un guy.
Bet you don't need babelfish for that. ;)
Ash, correct me if I'm wrong...

Now this is getting interesting. Margaret, you sure are fun! lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: