10 replies to this topic

#1 tampcop472

tampcop472

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

I have been on the gluten free diet my entire life and now I am trying to plan my wedding. I am trying to find a gluten free wedding cake, this seems difficult. I live in tampa Florida, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DoriGates

DoriGates

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:13 AM

Congrats....I am also planning my wedding. Flying to Florida for it. I am planning on making my own cake and having a friend of mine decorate it. There will be another wedding cake for the other guests. I have been trying different cake mixes to see which one works better. The baker where I live was willing to bake a cake for me with gluten free ingredients. But it was really expensive to do a whole cake, so he suggested a smaller cake for me and a regular cake for the others. But now that we are going to Florida, I'll either have my friend look for a baker willing to use my flour or make it my self.

#3 Tritty

Tritty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

How exciting! I saw recently in a magazine where a baker made miniature wedding cakes and put them in the center of the table as a decoration. Then they had a very small, but elegant cake for the bridal party.
You could have regular miniature ones for the guest - and yours could be gluten-free on a table all by itself...No one would be the wiser :) And I would think you could find a person who does it out of their home or whatever to make you a small one to your specification (and with less cc - if you're the ONLY project they're working on...).
Good luck and congrats!!
Tritty (my childhood nickname....)
Age 31, Mommy of 3
Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07
gluten-free since 1/16/07
Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.
Two oldest kids - fine so far :)
My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

#4 DoriGates

DoriGates

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

I almost forgot about CC!!!! I asked the baker, he stated since it would be a small cake he would be willing to use new baking sheets for the cake. Now, I'll have to look for a baker in Ft Lauderdale. More than likely I will make my own small cake.

I love the idea of having smaller cakes at the table, that would be perfect!!!!

I would call all the bakers in Tampa and see who is willing to help you out. You will be surprised how many people are willing to help accomadate you.

#5 Tritty

Tritty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

I guess you could really even do the opposite - put a small cake to decorate your table that's just for you -
and a regular cake for everyone else.
Tritty (my childhood nickname....)
Age 31, Mommy of 3
Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07
gluten-free since 1/16/07
Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.
Two oldest kids - fine so far :)
My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

#6 GFinVA

GFinVA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

I know of a baker is Baltimore that bakes strictly gluten-free cakes, cookies, muffins, etc. Check out www.glutenfreedesserts.com. I've also heard of people who have a baker make the top tier of a cake gluten-free and the bottom tiers with regular flour. Good luck!

#7 PeggyV

PeggyV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

What a great idea - a smaller gluten-free cake. My daughter is getting married in Italy we both are gluten-free. I wonder how we can find out if a baker will do one there....
"The only thing constant in life is change"
Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change
Gluten free since 10/06

#8 johnsoniu

johnsoniu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

Congrats to all those with upcoming nuptials! Hope you find a good gluten-free cake option.

Of course, you could always call that guy on the Food Network, "Ace of Cakes". Let's see just how good he is B)
John

positive blood tests 2/07
positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

#9 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

Gluten-Free Pantry makes an excellent Angelfood Cake Mix. It is really amazing. I served it at a family dinner and everybody loved it. So it passes the non-celiac test.

The secret to getting the height of any angelfood cake is to NEVER use a nonstick pan. Sometimes you have to go to a few stores to hunt one down.

I would say that you'd probably need a stand mixer though because you need that kind of power to get the batter whipped properly. It's kind of like making a merengue.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#10 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:24 AM

I made my own wedding cake w/ Annalise Robert's carrot cake recipe. Took about 8 recipes total to make a 3-tiered cake. We decorated it w/ fresh flowers and it was beautiful and delicious!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#11 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

I have been on the gluten free diet my entire life and now I am trying to plan my wedding. I am trying to find a gluten free wedding cake, this seems difficult. I live in tampa Florida, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kim

Dear tampcop472 and DoriGates,
Hey guys! I am not engaged or anything, but decided to check this out for you! Check out the cakes at this place! I hunted up a gluten free wedding cakes site on Google. The cakes here are beautiful! Go to http://www.wildflowe...dding cakes.htm and see them all! You will want to eat the page! Best Wishes for your nuptuals!
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: