This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Gassy

deedub

deedub Rookie

hi,

first poster here. I'm not sure yet what my gastro condition is. I went to the doc yesterday and am scheduled for the blood test panel. from what i'm reading on this forum, my symptoms don't seem to point to a gluten intolerance. this past year, it seems that I am more often a little bloated and or flatulent to the point where it is affecting my life. I do not really have any other celiac symptoms, just the gas and bloating with a cycle of good stretches and bad stretches. since I have just learned of gluten intolerance, my awareness level has been perked with what I eat and if i feel any side effects of food/ gluten. today i had a cold cut sandwich on bread with a little sausage, some pretzels and water for lunch. about an hour later, I have the gurgle like feeling in my intestines and a slightly warm feeling in the abdome/ no pain and fowl smelling gas. does this sound like gluten related or another malabsorption issue and/or bacteria issue ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

johnsoniu Apprentice

Hello and welcome

Fowl smelling gas is a red light for mal-absorption problems. The bloating is a classic celiac symptom also. Not everyone has really bad digestive problems as their first sign, in fact many don't.

My doctor said I had probably had active celiacs for quite sometime before my gastro problems became I so bad I sought help. By that time I was absorbing nothing and my nutrient defeciencies put me in the hospital. All that time, I too had had good stretches along with bad stretches.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but something to keep in mind or even mention to your doctor if you think he's a quack. Hope you get things figured out and feeling better soon.

FeedIndy Contributor

Those were two of my main symptoms-right along with chronic fatigue. I have been a million times better on the gluten free diet, though without a proper diagnosis I was still questioning and clinging to the idea that maybe it wasn't celiac. In the first 5 days, I lost 5 pounds and looked visibly thinner in the stomach.

Then, on Saturday, I was baking a cake for my sister (non-gluten free) and licked the spoon without thinking! I blew up like a balloon within days and have been gassy and exhausted. It was my doc that suggested I try the diet even though my blood tests came back negative. Now I'm 100% on board with gluten free and once I report the results to my doctor, she will confirm.

deedub Rookie

my weight has been steady for as long as I can remeber. no fatigue. my gassiness is not consistent as sometimes after a meal, I'm like a ticking bomb of gas. Other times, I can eat the same meal and be fine ??

Archived