This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fruit Causing Bloating?

ReneCox

ReneCox Contributor

I seem to get the most bloated when I eat fruit. Right when I swallow it i feel like I get air trapped in my esophagus and need to burp but I can't. Could it be candida? I am considering going on a fruit free diet but my diet is already so limited. If I cut fruit out all I would be able to eat is chicken, fish, vegetables(mainly carrots), brown rice, and almond milk. That can't be healthy right?? Also, whenever i drink liquor, i feel less bloated...anyone know why?or is it just because I'm getting drunk and becoming less sensitive to feeling? lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I think some fruits give me that full bloating feel...apples and bananas are the big ones. Maybe instead of cutting out the fruit entirely maybe cutting back on it just a bit. What types of fruit are you eating the most of?

johnsoniu Apprentice
I seem to get the most bloated when I eat fruit. Right when I swallow it i feel like I get air trapped in my esophagus and need to burp but I can't. Could it be candida? I am considering going on a fruit free diet but my diet is already so limited. If I cut fruit out all I would be able to eat is chicken, fish, vegetables(mainly carrots), brown rice, and almond milk. That can't be healthy right?? Also, whenever i drink liquor, i feel less bloated...anyone know why?or is it just because I'm getting drunk and becoming less sensitive to feeling? lol

Pertaining to the alcohol, you're actually part right. Alcohol can be a very tricky substance. It will trick your mind and your body into a lot of things that aren't physically occurring. Not feeling bloated could very well be one of them. If the mind is telling the body it wants more alcohol, and the neuro-receptors in your brain can't respond properly( i.e. that you're already bloated and don't need anything more to compound the problem) then you don't feel so bloated. Kind of goes hand in hand with the "I'm ok to drive". You're body is trying to tell the brain something, but because the receptors aren't functioning properly, the brain doesn't receive the message.

sonja69 Rookie

there are several options: i) the fruits you eat cause an allergic reaction (IgE) which sounds plausible since you have the feeling of swelling in your esophagus.

ii) you might be fructose intolerant although the symptoms you describe are unusual. if you are fructoseintolerant you cannot take up the fructose via the GLUT transport system in your small intestinal wall. the fructose will reach the colon and the bacteria there will ferment it to gasses. furthermore, the fructose will act osmotically and water is retained in the colon and also in the small intestines. that way, you will feel/be bloated.

iii) you eat too much fruit or

iv) you combine fruit with starchy foods which is not good due to fermentation in the stomach.

point ii might be temporarily due to your damaged intestinal mucosa.

about the alkohol: mostly, bloating is due to water retention in the body. alkohol dehydrates your body, thus you will loose some water from your body during or after drinking and will feel less bloated. and of course, if you are out and drinking and having fun your thoughts might be destracted and you're not worrying about your symptoms/problems all the time.

I think you should not worry about your diet being healthy or not, since the body gives you signs in form of those symptoms that fruit is not 'healthy' for you. everybody reacts individually and you have to find out, which food/diet is best for you.

good luck& best wishes,

Sonja

Archived