This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bored With Food!

LoveBeingATwin

NoGluGirl Contributor

I am in the Midwest, and I have not gotten to read the labels yet. When I go out there, I will let people know! I do not remember where the person who told me that lived. This is apparently a regional thing. You would think they would want to make it easier for us!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beelzebubble Contributor

i tend to eat really simply during the day. i get most of my excitement out of dinner. but here are some ideas for each meal of the day...

brekkie

make fried rice-a couple of eggs, leftover rice, frozen peas and corn, sesame oil, wheat free soy sauce, dash of hot sauce if you like, onions, red peppers, garlic, ham, bacon, or mild sausages (kielbasa works well too)---

-cut the meat into tiny pieces and sautee in a small amount of oil,

-saute the veggies in the oil that you sauteed the meat in, onions and peppers first,

-in a seperate pan, scramble the eggs.

-use the oil that you sauteed the veggies and meat in to begin frying the rice that you gently break apart, add the garlic to the rice and fry for about 3 minutes.

-prepare your flavoring mix, mix about 3 tbsp soy sauce with 1 tbsp sesame oil in a cup-add a dash of hot sauce and about a tbsp of water.

-now add the veggies and eggs to the rice. mix well. once it is mixed, pour the sauce over everything and mix well again -until all of the rice is coated. let the rice simmer until it has absorbed all of the liquid. serve. (oh, and pineapple makes a good veggie too)

make french toast-my only tip is...microwave your bread before dipping it in your egg mixture-just until the bread is soft and warm-it soaks up more egg this way

make a smoothie-this is my usual breakfast-if you do, i suggest picking up some agave nectar at a whole foods type store-it is great for sweetening smoothies and doesn't affect your blood sugar

here are some combos to put in the blender and blend away...

-raspberries, blueberries, two whole peeled tangerines, dash of salt, agave nectar to sweeten

-young coconut-water and flesh, bag of frozen pineapple, juice of half a lime, 1 tbsp vanilla, dash of salt, agave nectar to sweeten

-same as above, just add a banana and 1/2 half a bag of frozen mango in place of half of the pineapple

-1 tbsp almond butter, 1 and 1/2 cup water, 2 bananas, 1 cup frozen cherries, cocoa to taste (or carob, or raw cacao), agave to sweeten, dash of salt

-1/2 bag pineapple, 1/2 bag frozen rasberries-put them in the blender for about half an hour and just let them defrost, now blend away

eat whatever you want for breakfast, who says you need to eat breakfast foods?

lunch

interesting sandwiches

blt made with pancetta for bacon, basil for lettuce, and melted brie

-fry the pancetta as you would bacon, toast your bread and then spread a hefty chunk of brie on one piece of bread. melt it. now assemble your sandwich, pancetta, tomato, basil and brie coated bread. i know you don't do dairy, but this was soooooo good that i had to include it for everyone else.

avocado, tomato, cilantro and lettuce sandwich. squeeze a little lime or lemon on the avocado, and a dash of salt. it is really good.

buy some collard greens-they make fantastic tortilla substitutes, when raw they are really sturdy and have a nice peppery flavor. here are some things i do with them:

dice up your favorite raw veggies...i do red pepper, carrots, small amount of green onion, and thawed frozen corn, you could also use snap peas, raw mushrooms, cucumber, anything you would put in a salad really. now, make (or buy) some guacamole. you can even use a food processor if you have one. just make sure you process the chunky ingredients first, add your avocado, salt, and lime juice last. plop a couple of good sized spoonfulls of guac on your collard leaf and spread out. now add your diced veggies. roll up and eat.

have fajitas and tacos in them

make sandwiches in them

dinner

i can't stress this enough--explore the world of ethnic foods. ask anyone who comes to my house for dinner, no one eats better than us. and no one would think it was gluten free if you didn't tell them.

check out thai, indian, mexican, caribbean, latin american, chinese, and mediterranean cookbooks from your library. there are lots of adaptable recipes in these cultures, and lots that you can just make as is.

the trick to gluten free eating, is to look at it like an experiment. you may have to twiddle with a recipe, substitute one thing for another, but eventually you will hit on the right thing, and you may even like it better than the original.

here's my normal day:

smoothie for breakfast

fruit and nuts for lunch or a salad

apple for a snack

and then salad with some yummy dish for dinner

here's what i've had this last week

-black bean and corn soup with cilantro

-thai green curry with tofu

-chicken soup with asian veggies, ginger, garlic, and cilantro-served over rice noodles

-chicken marinated in a sauce of agave nectar, oj, lemon juice, dill, salt, apple cider vinegar

with garlic mashed potatoes and salad

-gluten free sausage and onion pasta sauce (this one is easy-saute onion and sausages and dump a tomato sauce you like over it, add basil and a dash of cayenne-serve)

-tabouleh made with quinoa and olives, goat cheese, and mochi

-shrimp stir fried in a sauce of oj, curry powder, garlic, onions, cilantro, and a tsp sugar served with salad

there you go, my novel on gluten free cooking. hope this helps. feel free to pm me if you like

Archived