Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pie Crumb Topping

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know a recipe for a Crumb Topping for a pie that has big, crumbly crumbs using the flour mix? No oats please. All of the recipes I've got don't come out right - they get hard.

I know that it's just about the right proportion of flour, sugar and margerine (or butter).

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I've used the Gluten Free Pantry crisp and crumble mix - it's delicious.

This is what I use on my fruit crisps. It also is good on pies--

1/2 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1 tsp. cinnamon.

Combine with pastry cutter until crumbly, spread over pie and bake. :)

This is what I use on my fruit crisps. It also is good on pies--

1/2 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1 tsp. cinnamon.

Combine with pastry cutter until crumbly, spread over pie and bake. :)

So you use just the rice flour - not the flour mix of rice flour, corn starch and tapioca flour?

So you use just the rice flour - not the flour mix of rice flour, corn starch and tapioca flour?

Yes, for this I just use the rice flour. I'm sure a mix would work just as well though.

I'm not sure why but even though I measure exactly it seems as though there is too much margerine - it isn't crumbly, it's almost doughy.

I'm not sure why but even though I measure exactly it seems as though there is too much margerine - it isn't crumbly, it's almost doughy.

Gosh, I don't know. It should be crumbly, but not dry at all. If you think it's too doughy, you could try adding in a couple tablespoons each of the flour and sugar. Then blend quickly--you don't want to over-work it because it will blend together too much.

Maybe it's the type of margarine?

Two things can lead to a doughy crumb topping...over working the crumb mixture or the margarine/butter not cold enough. I use butter falvored crisco. I keep it refrigerated until the second before I use it. Try this and see if it helps.

Good luck

Does anyone know a recipe for a Crumb Topping for a pie that has big, crumbly crumbs using the flour mix? No oats please. All of the recipes I've got don't come out right - they get hard.

I know that it's just about the right proportion of flour, sugar and margerine (or butter).

Thanks!

Try this one:

1/4 cup rice flour

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts

1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2-1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Combine ingredients in a bowl: stir well. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Whenever I make a pie, I save my scraps. I crumble them up with my fingers into small pea size pieces; and then freeze in a tupperware container. I just keep adding to it whenever I make a pie. Then when I need a crumb topping for something, I just grab a handful of my crumbs and toss them with a little brown sugar (& cinnamon if desired) and walla! I have a great crumb crust to sprinkle on a pie or crisp. This works really great.

Kay