This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Progresso Soups

jaycee30

jaycee30 Apprentice

Hi all,

Before I knew that I was gluten intolerant, I depended on Progresso soups in a can for quick meals/snacks. They always listed whether or not the soup contained egg product, so I loved how easy it was to pick up a can or two to have around.

I emailed them (Betty Crocker) asking about gluten. They always list if the soup containers wheat ingredients but I wanted to see about hidden sources, etc.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Progresso regarding gluten in Progresso products.

It is our primary goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or other sources of gluten, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ruth Enthusiast

Wow! This is great news.... I haven't even investigated this since going gluten-free in March of 2003. I always used to use progresso as a quick lunch.

Thanks,

This good news comes just in time for cold weather!

gf4life Enthusiast

There are 5 Progresso soups that my daughter and I occasionally eat for lunch.

They are:

Progresso Traditional Chicken Rice with Vegetables (good)

Progresso Traditional Chicken and Wild Rice (good)

Progresso Vegetable Classics Lentil (our favorite)

Progresso Vegetable Classics Split Pea (a little on the runny side, but tastes good)

Progresso Vegetable Classics Garden Vegetable (New, we have it but haven't tried it yet)

There are more Progresso Soups that are gluten-free, but these are also dairy free. I like being able to have some hot soup and one can is enough for my daughter and I. My boys won't eat soup! :rolleyes: I am looking forward to the weather cooling down and then I will start making some homemade. But it is nice to have some cans on hand...

God bless,

Mariann

lovegrov Collaborator

I like their cream of mushroom and Manhattan clam chowder (read the label to make sure they haven't changed recently; I haven't had them in a while). They now have two versions of their New England clam chowder. One is gluten-free and one isn't, so read carefully.

richard

• 4 years later...
006 Apprentice
I like their cream of mushroom and Manhattan clam chowder (read the label to make sure they haven't changed recently; I haven't had them in a while). They now have two versions of their New England clam chowder. One is gluten-free and one isn't, so read carefully.

richard

I spoke to Progresso directly about their clam chowder. They have two flavors: Rich & Hearty (gluten-free) and Traditional, which I assume is the one you are warning us about. The labels give no warnings in accordance to their response above in this topic. Also, if you're concerned about the pollock, the fish is in it's natural state, not processed. Please tell us how you know this to be contaminated with Gluten.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

That post was from 5 years ago, a lot can change in that time, reformulations occur frequently!

mamaw Community Regular

chicken corn chowder, chicken & vegetable, french onion are also gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator
I spoke to Progresso directly about their clam chowder. They have two flavors: Rich & Hearty (gluten-free) and Traditional, which I assume is the one you are warning us about. The labels give no warnings in accordance to their response above in this topic. Also, if you're concerned about the pollock, the fish is in it's natural state, not processed. Please tell us how you know this to be contaminated with Gluten.

Post was five years ago. At the time, one of them CLEARLY had wheat or barley listed -- I don't remember which. If there's no wheat or barley listed now, they've change the recipe during the past 5 years.

richard

• 3 years later...
WILDcard0677 Newbie

I just called Progresso today. The woman on the phone checked their gluten policy and said that the only products they ensure to be gluten free are labeled as such, either on the front of the can or in small, white, bold print on the back: Open Original Shared Link

As for soups not labeled as gluten-free, she said Progesso does not hide gluten in any of its ingredients (e.g. the Modified Food Starch is safe; if it had wheat, it would say Modified Wheat Starch). However, she did add that, unless the product is labeled as gluten free, Progresso cannot guarantee that the product hasn't been contaminated through the sourcing or manufacturing process.

I hope this helps everyone!

CommonTater Contributor

I buy the clam chowder and it states it's gluten free, the light isn't and we buy are Traditional Chicken Cheese Enchilada Flavor,

I also like the cream of mushroom for cooking.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived