Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Modified Food Starch

10 posts in this topic

is modified food starch ok? it has to say wheat after it or somewhere on the label if it is made from wheat correct? Just begining the whole non-gluten thing. Also if anyone had any favorate bread/pasta brands that would be great, the bread I bought yesterday is gross

thanks

Joanne:

The 2006 Food Allergen Labeling Law is a great help to Celiacs! Products must list any sources of the 8 main food allergens, one of which is wheat. So, if it says modified food starch, and does not list wheat, it does not contain wheat. Very often, it is corn (but, corn is not an 8 main allergen, so its not required to be listed, although it sometimes is).

Further, there are many companies that state that they will clearly list any source of gluten (i.e., won't "hide" it in natural/artificial flavors, but would list it) You can find that list here: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry259232 Posts #1, 2, and 9 on this thread are particularly helpful.

Taken together, with the food labeling law, and these companies (always check the back of the product to see who manufactures it. This list contains MANY, MANY main food companies. Many are large corporations that own a variety of brands) will greatly ease your life and make food shopping much easier.

One of the overall favorites on this board is Tinkyada pasta. It is rice based and I love it! I have served it to guests, family members, people who don't know that I have celiac disease have eaten this pasta (at football tailgates!) and they don't know the difference. You can find it online, in health food stores, in some major grocery stores, etc. Many stores will carry it if you request it. It comes in all the 'normal' shapes and sizes. We couldn't live in my house without Tinkyada! www.tinkyada.com has more information on it.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Best of luck!

The 2006 Food Allergen Labeling Law is a great law, but as of yet is not truly enforced, so be very careful. I have found many products that still do not list the allergens. Some of the products that were packaged previous to the law going into effect are still on the shelf and there are still some products that aren't following the rules yet. Even ice cream, which doesn't have a long shelf life, I am finding no allergen lists on some. Cottage cheese also, I have found many with no allergen lists on them and I will not take a chance on modified food starch in these cases.

Laws are wonderful, yet only as good as the enforcement of them. It takes a long time to get these laws enforced.

Remember that packages are not required to have allergen "lists," they are simply required to clearly list the allergen in some manner. So if an ice cream has milk and tree nuts, for instance, it does NOT have to say "Contains: milk, tree nuts." Listing the milk and nuts in the ingredients is sufficient to satisfy the law. If anybody is just looking for the allergen "list," you need to go back to reading the whole ingredient list as well.

If anybody sees something like ice cream that doesn't appear in some way to list one of the top 8 allergens -- an allergen that's very obviously in the product -- you should be reporting that manufacturer. I guess there are still some products out there that might have been packaged before the law went into effect, but ice cream certainly is not one of them. The FDA doesn't have but so many people policing zillions of things. Flooding them with vague suspicions isn't a good odea,

As to modified food starch, I personally believe we are pretty safe there now, especially if it's a product that was without question packaged after the law went into effect or if I see the product in question lists one of the other 8 allergens. Frankly, even before the law I almost never found MFS made from wheat and right now I can't think of a single product that lists wheat as the source of MFS. I'm sure there must be some, but I haven't seen them.

richard

Thanks everyone, I am gluten free for day number 2 :) so I am sure I will have more questions. Luckily I am a dietitian so I know the basics of gluten free, but even for me somethings are confusing!

Thanks everyone, I am gluten free for day number 2 :) so I am sure I will have more questions. Luckily I am a dietitian so I know the basics of gluten free, but even for me somethings are confusing!

Hi Joanne and welcome :rolleyes:

My favorite store bought bread is Kinnickinnick. You can get it at your local health food store and I've seen it at our local chain supermarket. There are a TON of great recipes for homemade breads, but I haven't gotten around to trying any yet.

Don't let the first loaf of bread you bought get you down, the first loaf I bought I swear weighed 4 lbs and tasted like.. well you know B)

Ask lots of questions here, many knowledgable people eager to help with anything.

I apologize, I was under the impression they had to list the allergens separately--certainly makes it easier.

I think we've worked our way through every gluten-free bread made! My daughter grudgingly accepted some, turned her nose up at others, but so far, her "favoritest" is Kinnikinnick's bread mix. It's incredibly easy to make. My daughter is 10 and is making a loaf a week for herself...with a little supervision, of course! It seems to have a more "normal" texture - not quite as gritty and also seems to hold together better. Even the non-gluten members of my family like it and that's a hard-sell! I'm an avid Kinnikinnick fan...can you tell? they have great customer service too...I usually order everything on-line from them. (their cinnamon rolls and donuts are something I keep on hand in the freezer for those awkward moments when my daughter needs something special)

You should try the Gluten Free Flax bread on recipezaar's website. It's by a member here "Lorka" and it is AWESOME.

I've been gluten free for almost 9 months and have tried TONS of stuff...it is the closest taste and texturewise that comes close to real bread! :D

This is another personal subject--I think we have to decide for ourselves if we trust modified food starch. I do not and I will not trust it without an allergen list listed at the bottom of the ingredients. I was taught in the beginning to not eat modified food starch and unless I know for sure it is not made from wheat, either by past experience with the product or another celiac has actually eaten it without a reaction, then I do not touch it. It's that simple for me.