This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hungry And Upset

georgie

georgie Enthusiast

I have run out of food to eat ! I went into town to see what the local shop had - and it wasn't much. Not even a gluten-free muesli bar. Its a holiday so fruit and veg shop was shut. My hubbie ate the last of the cold meat without telling me. In desperation I bought a shop cooked chicken , ate a piece driving home, and then realised that it probably had gluten on the seasoning.

I have planned a trip tomorrow to the city ( 200 miles away) to buy food. But now I am so scared that I will be too sick to drive. I am just feeling so down about all this. I go to the city about 1 x month but instead of shopping for fun - its just food now. Its all over the city - exhausting for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Georgie, I know how frustrating it is when your family eats the last of your food, when there is so much they can eat. At least I can usually find food to buy day and night, as we have one grocery store near by that is open 24 hours a day.

Is it possible for you to order some of your non-perishable gluten-free food online, so at least you don't have to run all over to find what you want? There is no way I'd have the energy to first drive 200 miles, and then run all over finding my food, and drive home without the danger of falling asleep behind the wheel from exhaustion. And I know you can't walk any better than I can. It must be awfully hard.

I hope the seasoning on the chicken didn't contain gluten.

georgie Enthusiast

There is an online shop and I have done an order but I guess I ran out of food before doing the order. It takes 3 days by post. And there are items in the city tthat the online shop does not have.

I was looking forward to this day tomorrow shopping with Mum. But now I will be terrified of falling asleep and getting home safely. I guess its just the reality of being Celiac FOREVER that is hitting home now. And having to buy food in quantities to last a month or 2. Our pantry can't cope !Being dairy free now is the last straw ! I am even wondering if I reacted to nightshades from last nights meal ...home made potato chips. Or if I am reacting to the dairy 2 days ago. Or ..what!

No - just had the skin and some meat of the chicken. But as soon as I thought about it ( dark brown glaze) I realised it was probably soy sauce. And had been handled in a non gluten-free way with a bread seasoning. So ..... that was a waste of $9!

Ruth52 Newbie

Hi Georgie,

I know it can be a challenge to buy food that is gluten free, and it becomes even harder when you are so far from a large shopping centre.

I noticed you are from Australia (so am I). I buy my flours online from wheatfreeworld and bake food that I can keep in the freezer. They have recipes for both sweet and savoury food.

If you like fish a good standby is a tin of tuna or salmon - mix it up with rice and a salad.

But my instant fix-all is to make a bowl of chocolate icing - that will cure anything!

Hope you feel better soon.

Ruth

miles2go Contributor

Geez, Georgie, that is quite a mess. I am so sorry, I wish I could FedEx some food to you as I've always been one who is prepared for the holocaust. Depression baby parents and all...

Tomorrow is probably not a holiday, right? Can you get hold of some fruit, veggies and maybe some eggs before your big shopping trip? We are having the daylight savings time shift early here and I was a little freaked about lunch tomorrow. I roasted some squash from last fall, crocked up some beans and am having celery and carrot sticks, some brown rice from last week and a green salad along with some grapes. Basically scraping the fridge.

I hope you eat before you travel the 200 miles and if it's within your pocketbook, stock up some, for days like this!

Big hug,

Margaret

georgie Enthusiast
But my instant fix-all is to make a bowl of chocolate icing - that will cure anything!

:lol: :lol: I will have to remember that!

I am not a big tuna fan - I used to have a favourite one but it was a flavoured type and has Gluten. But I can search for others and think about this.

Its obvious I have to get back into the kitchen :blink: and start cooking ! Being Dairy Free makes it harder - I like quiches .....groan ... I hate cooking ....

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Georgie--I can't remember if you have a problem with soy--if you do, be careful with tuna. I always buy tuna in water and that water usually is a broth made with soy. Here in New York, I have only found Bumble Bee Tuna in foil pouches to be free of soy. Sounds like you may not try the tuna anyways. ;) I always have my ricecakes at hand with my peanut butter--not sure I could survive without my peanut butter!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I second that vote for Chocolate Icing!!!!!

I cook a lot & then freeze meals in glass containers with plastic lids, then I can take one with me or take out of freezer take off lid, place glass plate on top & heat in the microwave.

A quick dish is to saute onions, garlic, celery, & what ever veggie you have & then to stir in cooked rice. If you want you can add cooked chop meat to this. Then I take a baked sweet potato (they freeze well) mash it up with a little brown sugar put in bottom of freezer bowl, put rice mixture on top, label with masking tape & a sharpie & pop into the freezer.

Yes, it is all easier when you cook yourself!! ;)

georgie Enthusiast

Back from my day and a much happier person tonight ! I found the gluten-free bakery and have gluten-free pasties, sausage rolls, lamingtons, cup cakes, choc cake, choc peppermint slice, tacos, corn chips and lollies !!!!!!! And have found that they ship ! All hand made on the premises by a qualified cook. Also stocked up on nuts and other healthy goodies. Ahhh ....

Archived