5 replies to this topic

#1 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

Is it normal to get a reaction to dairy 2 days after ? I have been dairy free now for about 3 weeks. I had some on Saturday and today have bad stomach and gut cramps and D. I also had potato chips last night and am not sure if its a new nightshade intolerance, or Dairy.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

It could take up to two days for a reaction yes. Usually you have minor reactions before hand. Something like sneezing, stuffy nose etc.

Could also be cc with the potato chips.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

No runny nose or sneezing - just abdominal cramps and D. The potato chips were home made from potato and cooked at home in oil that is guaranteed gluten-free. Nothing else in my diet has changed - except for the dairy 2 days ago. I just wondered if cramping was a symptom ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Yes, I've had reactions two days later. A day later. Sometimes three days later. For me, dairy causes mainly stomach problems.

#5 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

That's what I am feeling now. It feels like someone has punched me in the stomach. Have the tired foggy achey all over feeling too.

#6 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:20 AM

That's what I am feeling now. It feels like someone has punched me in the stomach. Have the tired foggy achey all over feeling too.

Dear georgie,
Dairy intolerance can make you feel as bad as if you were glutened! My doctor told me about that. She said casein is bad about that. Reactions can be delayed. They can take up to 3 days after ingestion for symptoms to appear! I tend to have a delayed gluten reaction. It can take me up to 12 hours to react to it.
My mother does not tolerate dairy well. She can get diarrhea and stomach cramps from it.
Gas is common with it as well. Bloating normally accompanies this. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: