19 replies to this topic

#1 BRCoats

BRCoats

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:13 PM

Are there any celiacs out there that also have diabetes? Is it common for these two diseases accompany each other?

Also, if you do have diabetes, do you find that when your blood sugar is high, you are very sleepy with an upset stomach?
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

BRCoat,

Yes, yes, and yes!

I was just diagnosed with the big D a few weeks ago. I was totally shocked
and at first went into denial. After a few days" I picked myself up and
brushed myself off, and started all over again". I told myself and my supportive
husband that this was not going to get me down. I learned the gluten-free diet and got
better in about 9mos. Now I have to learn another diet and incorporate it
with the gluten-free diet. I test myself at least 7-8 times a day to learn how different
carbs can affect the blood sugar. The gluten-free rice foods really make it go sky high
and then I get sleepy and also have upset stomach.

Do you count carbs? Are you on meds? I will see the Dr. this week, I think
he will put me on something to decrease the insulin resistance but I "bottom
out in the afternoon " and that scares me. Please let me know about your
situation maybe we can help each other.
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#3 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

Judy04,

I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes. But I'm positive I have blood sugar issues. My doc put me on an herb that is suppose to do the same thing as glucaphage/metformin. These are the insulin resistant drugs that docs put diabetics on (my grandma is on it). Anyway, the herb does the same thing. I've noticed a good difference in the way my tummy acts when I'm on it. Not as much burning, and my blood sugar feels way more under control. But....whenever I feel like the blood sugar gets bad, I get really sleepy, tired, and grumpy. I have gastroparesis, which is evidently found in some diabetics. So I think there is a link....I just haven't quite figured it out yet. I've not been tested for the diabetes...partly because I know that if I fast and then drink that sugary drink, I'm going to get violently ill! :unsure: The sleepiness is worst in the morning - when I obviously haven't eaten anything in many hours. The sleepy yucky feeling doesn't go away until I eat lunch and then sleep for just a few minutes. I can't sleep too long, or else my stomach feels even worse. Weird, I know. I'm so sick of being sick and tired and not being able to sleep it off. After four years of it, it gets old. :angry:

Ok...enough ranting.

I currently do not count carbs. But I'm off (ok...almost completely off) of processed sugar, and I keep my breads, rice, potato chips at a very tight minimum.

What do you think? Should i get tested?

Brenda
~Brenda

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

#4 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:33 AM

I was having a few symptoms (lightheaded, headaches, thirsty, slow to heal, etc.) and my doc tested me about a week ago and my results came back pre-diabetic which means my numbers are higher than normal but not quite high enough for actual diabetes. I was at risk anyway since my father developed Type II a few years ago, I just thought I had a few more years to go before it hit me.

I ate all the carbs I could over the weekend for today, I see the Diabetic Dietitian and I know the first thing she will take away is sugar, the next is carbs.

This is all after I fully embraced my gluten-free problems this summer...now this but I am feeling a little better about this. I eat a lot of meat anyway, I will just need to regulate my brown rice pasta and my rice/pecan gluten-free bread with jelly made without high fructose corn syrup and my cashew nut butter sandwhiches. Oh, and my potatoes! :huh:

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#5 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:54 PM

Brenda,

I think you should definitely be tested. Do you have a meter?
Try to test in am (fasting), then 2 hours after eating and at bedtime.
Keep a record for your doctor. I am experimenting and I have found
that rice flour and grapes really make my BS go up. Having celiac disease and
diabetes can cause a lot of complications so the sooner you bring them under control the better your health will be. Good luck!
judy

#6 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:41 PM

Judy,

How do you get a meter? Doesn't the doc have to prescribe that??
~Brenda

#7 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:50 PM

Brenda.

Meters are expensive, especially the strips. If you have insurance they will
pay for the strips and maybe part of the meter, it just depends.
You can buy them without a script but the strips cost about 80 a piece.
If you don't have insurance go to a discount store such as Sam's
Club. I have a one touch ultra, i don't test on my arm, fingers are more accurate.
hope this helps.
judy

#8 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:39 PM

But I wouldn't think the insurance would pay for that if you didn't have a prescription from the doc. ??

You know what happened to me today? I was washing my dishes, and I started getting really bad intestinal cramps, then my ovaries started hurting really bad, then I started shaking, then I felt like I was going to pass out, then I thought I was going to throw up, and it ended with me sitting on the toilet with my head in a trash can, breathing very slowly to try and get it to go away. Yes, it went away....but I'm discouraged. I haven't had anything like that happen in forever. I've felt so much better lately. I don't know what happened, but maybe it was low blood sugar??? It was not an uncommon time of the day to have wacky blood sugar. Maybe I need to pay closer attention. I tend to just live with the yucky sick feelings I have....maybe not such a good idea when it's blood sugar related. :(

Discouraged but not giving up,

Brenda
P.S. Like how expensive are we talking? Can you buy them over the net anywhere? (I have access to a Sam's, but it's a little bit of a drive)
~Brenda

#9 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:06 PM

Brenda,

My fist bit of advice to you is get to a good doctor and have a fasting
blood sugar done and perhaps an AC1 (?) which tells you an average
blood sugar over a 3month period. Diabetes is nothing to self diagnose,
it is a very serious disease. It can be self controlled but only supervised by an MD,
or a very good physician's assistant.

A doctor can and will prescribe the meter and strips and perhaps send you
to a qualified dietitian. Do you have health insurance? If you don't
how about a clinic? You must get help and stop guessing about what might be wrong. I'm sure there are web sites that sell these materials, I just didn't think
of doing that. There are also organizations which will help you with the costs,
especially insulin and needles. Please for your own sake find out what you are dealing with. I'm very worried about you. You sound very young, do you have family or friends who could help you? When my blood sugar is low I feel kind
of dizzy or whoozy. I always carry around little boxes of raisins and a can of Coke,
not diet, in case I need it. Never,ever,drive a car if you feel that way. You should always test before driving or exercising.

I don't think your spell today was all from low blood sugar alone, perhaps you
got some Gluten, I know I did today, still trying to figure that out.

Another thing. why are you on a herb to lower blood sugar when you don't
really know what you have. If you take Metformin or any other pill you
should be monitoring yourself. Does your Grandmother have a meter?
What kind of Dr. have you been seeing? Is he an MD?

Please. please get to a qualified Dr and find out what is wrong. I will keep
you in my thoughts and prayers.

BTW. my meter cost 60.00 which the insurance did not pay, they do pay
for the strips. You need a prescription. The meter came with a rebate so
I should get some money back.
judy

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:37 PM

BRCoats, What herb did your doctor put you on? I have been diagnosed as "prediabetic", and my body is starting to resist insulin, but my doctor won't give me anything to help me with it (except the American Heart Association's heart-healthy diet). I tried to get help from another doc, but she wouldn't touch it because I did not have a referral. My insurance runs out Sep 30, so I need to find an herbal solution instead of a prescription one. My problem is normal blood sugar, but high insulin levels right now. I am having a devil of a time losing weight, my muscles get fatigued as if they are starving for energy, and I get light-headed and headachy. I was told these are all symptoms of "prediabetes" and to keep orange juice or candy on hand at all times, and to make sure that I eat smaller meals fairly often. I am glad this topic is here, since I now have to combine food allergies, celiac disease, and prediabetes into an eating plan. I couldn't get in to see a dietician without a referral, my doc didn't think it was necessary. I am currently looking for a different family practioner!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:01 PM

Pleasepleaseplease reply! I have enabled email notification, so I won't miss any response to this topic!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#12 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:18 PM

Dessa,

I have recently been diagnosed with "D" and am trying to learn everything
I can. I was curious about your high insulin levels, how did you find this out?
I can suggest a way to lose weight that is working for me. If you are having a meal with meat and vegetables, don't eat any rice or potatoes. If you "must"
have rice or potatoes then eat them with vegetables, no meat. Keep meals 3-4 hours apart and eat fruit after 3 hours of eating meals. This is working for me,
I have lost 20 lbs. Of course avoid processed food, which is kind of second nature
with celiac disease. It's not fun having both of these diseases but there is a way to do it.
Also if you have a meter, test often, after fasting in am and 2hours after meals.
Some foods have a higher glycemic index and will raise your blood sugar faster
like rice, grapes, watermelon. Good luck.
judy

#13 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:53 PM

My doctor was trying to prove that nothing was wrong with my gall bladder, so she ordered almost every blood test on the sheet. FSH, Estradiol, and Insulin were three of the major ones she looked at, along with Lipids and liver enzymes. I have been using the Weight Watchers plan, and losing 1/2 pound a week, so I thought I was doing very well. Doc told me it wasn't fast enough. She oughta try modifying her diet to accomodate three food-related problems! I don't have a meter, she said it "was not necessary." I am thinking of going and just buying one anyway. I know that I will have to pay full price for it myself, but I think it will be worth the expenditure. My mom and sister both have adult-onset diabetes, so the genetic thing is there for me. You mentioned a glycemic index. What is that? If I google it, will there be something on it? If it can help me to know which foods to eat when, and it what combination, eating would be much easier!
Dessa

#14 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:48 AM

Plantime, you may find that adjusting how many carbs your taking in will help with the insulin levels. A high carb diet is known to exacerbate the symptoms of blood sugar issues moreso than a moderate carb/protein/fat diet. Maybe you're already doing that... :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#15 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:18 AM

No, I haven't cut carbs. I mostly switched from eating candy and ice cream every day to eating fruits and veggies for snacks, cutting all of the fat off my meat, and using just a little butter instead of a lot. I know that fruit affects blood sugars and such, but do vegetables, too? I did cut out most of the breads and pastas because of celiac, I only eat it 3-4 times a month instead of every day. Since my doctor won't help me, I will just have to keep on researching this. Thank God for cpu's and message boards!
Dessa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: