19 replies to this topic

#16 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:39 AM

You may be finding that the dried fruit, and even veggies (depending on the vegetable), are increasing your blood sugar initially, causing your insulin to spike. Getting plenty of fat and protein with those smaller meals is important to keep your insulin from spiking (as it releases sugars into the blood stream slower, so your body won't need as much insulin to deal with what's in the blood stream). Also, daily exercise is apparently very important for preventing pre-diabetes from turning in to diabetes. (I read a fascinating study noting that exercise actually changed cell's responsiveness to insulin.) So things like orange juice are important when experiencing a very low blood sugar event, but keeping blood sugar steady requires a more balanced set of foods.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:30 PM

Plantime,

The herb I am on is gynema sylvestre. It supposedly does the same thing as metformin/glucophage that docs put diabetics on. The reason my doc put me on it is because i have polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you have that, then you are also most likely insulin resistant. They are putting women with pos on these insulin drugs, and it is getting rid of the cysts on their ovaries...and it regulates their cycles. I am finding that if I'm on the herb, I can eat more sugar, but if I'm not, then just eating a high protein diet, no refined sugars, and very little carbs does just as well. So I will probably go with the diet/exercise route instead of the drug. The reason I thought maybe I was full blown diabetic is because I have gastroparesis, which many times is associated with diabetes. I am positive I have blood sugar issues, but I don't have a lot of the symptoms of diabetes.

Judy,

If you consider 32 young, then I guess I AM young. :D I do have a doctor, but I can't just pick up and go to him whenever I want.....he's six hours away. I have tried many doctors where I live, and NONE of them would help me. Don't even get me started on that! :angry: So I go to my previous doctor. He has not tested me for diabetes, but would if I wanted him to. I have family where he is, and whenever I'm over, I get an appointment with him. We also do phone consultations if I need him pronto. But they are more expensive as the insurance doesn't cover it. Yes, I do have insurance. My husband has a great job and the insurance is great, so no problems there. My grandma does have a meter....but she's also six (really seven) hours away. The reason I am on the herb is obviously explained up above. I try to figure these things out on my own because I have HAD to do it that way. I don't want to go into all my physical probs and how sick I was (who needs to hear another sob story....besides, it's incredibly LONG). But trust me....I would get to the doctor if I thought I was diabetic and it was out of control. I would like a meter, because I am wondering if my bs goes high, then low, then high, etc. I feel like I am at two ends of the spectrum a lot....so I was curious if I was right. However!! I AM getting it under control with diet. I am eating every two hours, limiting refined sugar (almost none) and very little carbs. So far it is working, but I haven't been doing it for long. I think when I had that episode yesterday, my blood sugar was very low, plus I ate some cooler ranch Doritos. And I DO think I reacted to them. Bummer!! So I think it was a combination of things.

Thanks for your concern and advice.

Brenda
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

#18 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:41 PM

Brenda and Dessa and all others who are concerned:

There are 2 web sites that I have found which answered some of my questions

www.diabetic.com

http://diabetes.about.com
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#19 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the help! This topic was a very timely one for me! I will see if my whole foods store has that herb, maybe it will help me. I prefer to keep control by modifying my diet, but sometimes I need help!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#20 red345

red345

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:55 AM

Hi! Though I do not have Celiac, I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 26 yrs. I'm 27 yrs old, and due to sound control I continue to have no complications from the disease to speak of, so that shows that a dedicated effort to controlling the disease can bring with it little in the way of long term complications. Honestly, the Celiac diet and Diabetes diet is not all that different. Pancakes, Pasta, Pizza, and many breads are the four foods that have spelled doom for me through the years as far as sugar control. These four foods are what cause a strong escalation in my blood sugars, so I have always stayed away from most breads. That simple measure has brought with it outstanding control for me. Because you are already on a diet that restricts these types of foods, I would imagine you will all be just fine so long as you make the effort to keep those sugars within normal range.

I actually just received back my A1C taken on Monday, and I had a 4.8. That is well within the normal range for Diabetics, and is actually the lowest A1C I have had in a couple of years. The aim for Type 1 (And most Type 2's) is to be 6.0 or under, so I'm sitting pretty good. I was put on an insulin pump five years ago, and the machine pretty much operates things on its own now. Whatever I plan to eat, I just simply measure the carbs 20 minutes before eating, give what I must, and rarely do my sugars ever go above 150 in the whole process.

Diabetic education has become so different in today's world, too. I will admit that I'm a big junkfood eater, actually, lol. I always get my 8 fruits and veges in per day, which is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. From there however, I have at least 2 "Treats" per day-be that a combination of a candy bar, ice cream, etc.

However, that is one of the more unique "Advantages" (If that is even possible) to having Type 1 over Type 2. If you are a Type 2, you most likely will be on oral medication. If that is the case, unfortunately, you do not have access to fast acting insulin like I would with the pump, so you really must watch out for the junk foods under that scenario.

We all know Type 2 Diabetics. I must know of 5-10 that are 60 or older, those who have had the disease for five years or more. I can only think of one of those that have had any sort of complication from the disease, one that was quickly cured with laser surgery (Eyes). All of them have managed their disease very well, I think. They weren't perfect by any means, but they've managed just fine. As long as you make a dedicated effort to control the disease as much as you can you will do just fine.

Having spent my whole life with the disease, I can tell you pretty accurately what the symptoms are-

Low sugar levels (Hypoglycemia-which can of course be a condition of its own-you can have Hypo w/o being affected with higher sugars)-confusion, fainting, sweating (Don't panic-could be your hormone levels, too, if in menopause), sudden disorientation. Here's the big one-numbness or tingling in the mouth or lips that is relieved by eating something containing fast acting carbs)

High sugars-tiredness, fatigue, moodiness, thirst.

If you plan on getting checked for the disease but you aren't going to invest in a blood testing meter right away, I would recommend buying a container of Ketostix made by Bayer. Anyone can purchase these over the counter at Osco or Walgreen's for $5 or less.

There really are only two immediate concerns involving diabetes if you suspect you may have it, but have not been tested-1)Having a "Reaction"-where your blood sugars drop down too low. Major, major longshot with anyone in here. If you are reading this and understanding things ok, don't worry-you're not having one, and it likely would never happen in your case right now.

The larger concern would be Ketoacidosis. This is the one immediate complication most dangerous for diabetics. I have only had it three times in my entire life. This is the opposite end, where your sugars are too high. I won't go into great detail and alarm everyone, so I would just recommend to you that if you have any of the conditions listed above, you should go out and buy a package of these and test your urine. You expose the strip to urine, and within 10 seconds you know whether or not you have this condition. If you're negative, you don't have a whole lot to worry about until your next office visit to discuss your concerns with your doctor. If your test comes back positive, however, to the emergency room you go. It's as simple as that.

Ketoacidosis is the most dangerous immediate condition a diabetic can experience. It's not something that just comes about on its own. Diabetics on medication have virtually no chance of ever getting this anymore unless they go days without testing their sugars etc. However, this does remain the most immediate, major concern for those that are not aware they are not yet diabetic. If you feel run down and thirsty, just go buy these and test yourself to make sure everything is ok. If it's negative, this is not a concern for you.

Judy, here's another oppurtunity for me to attack the medical profession-A Keto strip costs a nickel. Two blood testing strips would set the ole' clinic back $1. For ANYONE 50 or older, why is this not part of an annual check up? Given the escalating # of diabetics we are finding today, how terribly difficult would it be to prick someone's finger twice in a day, than have them urinate on a little stick? $1 or less in medical expenses to rule out each senior for having the most growing disease in America.

Short story than I'm done-The normal range for diabetics is now 70-120, basically. The tighter control you have, the harder it is to be able to detect when you are low sugared. Last summer I was watching TV when I felt a dab of sweat on my forehead. I wasn't confused, I wasn't faint, I wasn't tired, disoriented, anything to speak of. Because I felt that sweat, however, I decided I better check my sugars. After two consecutive checks, my monitor read "Low," which means I was under 15 according to my monitor's specifications, I believe.

Thankfully, I was sitting in my livingroom. Had I been behind the wheel, however, I can't even bare the thought of it. This example not only validates the belief that tighter control='s better tolerance of lower sugars, but also that one must ALWAYS check their sugar levels before ever getting into an automobile, REGARDLESS of how "Perfect" you feel at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: