This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is My First Post! Looking For Advice

GraceE

GraceE Rookie

I struggled for a long time with stomach problems, pain, cramps, nausea, gas, alternating C and D, feeling miserable. I was diagnosed with IBS (of course) and put on a low dose anti-depressant (Lexapro). After a few weeks it actually helped. But I still have (and this is kind of embarassing), really bad gas and still some lingering stomach issues. When I say really bad gas, I mean actual gas, way more than a normal person should have, gas pains and it's humiliating because it could literally run someone out of a room. AWFUL! I can't be digesting food normally. I've been reading these mosts for months but have never put one up myself. My dr. brushed off Celiac. He told me I could try going gluten-free but said "it's just really tough to do that diet". And I love my dr. but I'm wondering if with the gas and lingering, albeit mild, stomach problems if it's celiac disease but the major symptoms are being masked by the anti-depressant.

I know these questions of IBS vs Celiac get asked a lot but I'm just not sure what to do. Should I bypass my dr. and go straight to a GI and ask for the blood test? I could just go gluten-free and stop taking the Lexapro but I know without a real diagnosis from a dr. then I probably won't stick to it like I should or get as much support (I'm afraid anyway).

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HawkFire Explorer

Would you stick with it if it made you feel better? A commitment to your health doesn't need approval by a medical doctor. You don't even need to be monitored by a doctor on a gluten free diet. This is medicine at it's best. It is in your control. Try the diet for a month. You cannot cheat and feel the benefits. Commit yourself to two weeks if that is all you believe you can handle. One day at a time. See how you feel.

GraceE Rookie
Would you stick with it if it made you feel better? A commitment to your health doesn't need approval by a medical doctor. You don't even need to be monitored by a doctor on a gluten free diet. This is medicine at it's best. It is in your control. Try the diet for a month. You cannot cheat and feel the benefits. Commit yourself to two weeks if that is all you believe you can handle. One day at a time. See how you feel.

You're right - I should probably just try it and see what happens.

GraceE Rookie

Another thing....if I decide to give it a shot and go gluten-free I'm thinking I should stop taking the anti-depressants so I know what is really helping. Anyone have an opinion about that? Thanks!!

Jestgar Rising Star

That's probably a little trickier. Some people have immediate mood changes when they go gluten-free, others change slowly. If you decide to do this, I'd meet with your doctor and tell him that you're going to do this and ask him to explain the best way to wean yourself off the Lexapro. Don't take no for an answer. If he tells you to keep taking it, get a new doctor.

You may find that gluten isn't affecting your mood and you need to keep taking a chemical adjuster. If that's the case, you want a physician working with you.

JerryK Community Regular
Another thing....if I decide to give it a shot and go gluten-free I'm thinking I should stop taking the anti-depressants so I know what is really helping. Anyone have an opinion about that? Thanks!!

I'm one of those who's noticed a direct connection with gluten and my mood. Basically gluten makes me feel irritable and depressed for several days after I eat it.

Having said that, if you want to try gluten-free, I'd suggest trying gluten-free BEFORE you stop your AD and see if you notice a difference. I'm guessing you will KNOW whether or not you should try to stop the drug.

Whatever you do, do not cold turkey off the AD...gluten-free or not, you will not enjoy it.

Lexapro solution is available. Ask your doctor for it if you decided to wean off. I think one ml equals one mg, or something like that. jerry

GraceE Rookie
I'm one of those who's noticed a direct connection with gluten and my mood. Basically gluten makes me feel irritable and depressed for several days after I eat it.

Having said that, if you want to try gluten-free, I'd suggest trying gluten-free BEFORE you stop your AD and see if you notice a difference. I'm guessing you will KNOW whether or not you should try to stop the drug.

Whatever you do, do not cold turkey off the AD...gluten-free or not, you will not enjoy it.

Lexapro solution is available. Ask your doctor for it if you decided to wean off. I think one ml equals one mg, or something like that. jerry

Thanks for the advice! The only reason I'm on the Lexapro is as an off-label solution to severe IBS. I was not depressed before or noticed any mood problems except being upset, etc. about feeling so awful all the time (my stomach/digestive problems). So I don't anticipate any mood problems when I go off. I started out only on 5 mg and then went to ten so if I do choose to go off I'll probably go back to 5 mg for a week or so then stop altogether. Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Streee Newbie
Thanks for the advice! The only reason I'm on the Lexapro is as an off-label solution to severe IBS. I was not depressed before or noticed any mood problems except being upset, etc. about feeling so awful all the time (my stomach/digestive problems). So I don't anticipate any mood problems when I go off. I started out only on 5 mg and then went to ten so if I do choose to go off I'll probably go back to 5 mg for a week or so then stop altogether. Thanks!!!

You should discuss weaning off of it with your doctor. I am a (not officially) Celiac who takes Lexapro. I take it for depression and anxiety. If you were not having these symptoms before then I think your Dr. may be nice but you should be seeing someone more educated in the realm of both Celiac disease and Depression. I do not see how Lexapro has anything to do with Celiacs other then the symptom of depression and if your were never feeling that its not an issue. Celiac, however, is something you need to look into. I know EXACTLY what you are saying with the gas and the cramps and all. GPs often dismiss these issues as "IBS" which is a term to encompass all non-diagnosed stomach problems. Do not lay with that answer. I went till I was falling on the floor in pain and crying a lot, not to mention the many many visits to the Dr. to ask why I was sick and them playing things down to the "IBS" level. People feel things to a different degree. I spent many hours doing search of my symptoms online. I know the name and definition of many many disease due to this. The one day I discover my symptoms resemble Giardia. I asked to be tested for it. My Dr. ( the one who finally really believed the WAS something really wrong) asked my why I wanted this. I told him about the pale color of my stool and the gas and the pain. He said that the pale color may be white blood cells. He tested me. They were. He then told me about Celiac's. I immediately Googled it. Made sense. then had a blood tests. They also pointed to Celiac. I went to Stanford Celiac clinic. Upper GI later they found issues with my stomach but no sprue signs. I was bounced to a new GI Dr. who tells me that doesn't mean squat and that they cant always find it. Anyhow...I went gluten-free. I still have many GI issue that were still working on but I am like 80% better from not eating gluten. I would shoot for 2 weeks minimum and try to do 4 weeks for fairness. You have to keep a lot in mind. Chap sticks and hand lotions. Mayo jars, peanut butter jars, mustard jars etc are double dipped after touching bread. Counters and grills are not trust worthy. (They grill breads and such on them). Never eat deep fried unless you have prepared it especially gluten-free. Read EVERY label. Avoid HYDROLYZED products as they are often made with wheat in the process. The laws are changing rapidly and gluten is becoming a more well know issue. FDA requires companies now to list the specific allergens on their wrappers. Crumbs stay under nails on stick to skin. Avoid touching gluten. Wash your hands often when around gluten.No kissing beer breath. If you can smell the beer the fluid may still be in the mouth. I recommend Whole foods if you have one in your area. And I have to apologize for the length of this reply and that your mission will become so hard. You will forget. You will lax on paying attention to things and you will be "poisoned". You will get better at it. And if you see improvement after a month or so, you will be faced with a life time of being the weirdo who reads all of the labels and take an hour to do simple shopping. The one who once again has to explain about gluten to the waitress so you can ask to speak to the chef and ask them to work something out with you in regards to the gluten. This is a hard one to do. Mexican food is often gluten-free.

Anyhow, I wish you luck in your search for the answer and I would love to hear how it turns out for you.

-Streee

GraceE Rookie
You should discuss weaning off of it with your doctor. I am a (not officially) Celiac who takes Lexapro. I take it for depression and anxiety. If you were not having these symptoms before then I think your Dr. may be nice but you should be seeing someone more educated in the realm of both Celiac disease and Depression. I do not see how Lexapro has anything to do with Celiacs other then the symptom of depression and if your were never feeling that its not an issue. Celiac, however, is something you need to look into. I know EXACTLY what you are saying with the gas and the cramps and all. GPs often dismiss these issues as "IBS" which is a term to encompass all non-diagnosed stomach problems. Do not lay with that answer. I went till I was falling on the floor in pain and crying a lot, not to mention the many many visits to the Dr. to ask why I was sick and them playing things down to the "IBS" level. People feel things to a different degree. I spent many hours doing search of my symptoms online. I know the name and definition of many many disease due to this. The one day I discover my symptoms resemble Giardia. I asked to be tested for it. My Dr. ( the one who finally really believed the WAS something really wrong) asked my why I wanted this. I told him about the pale color of my stool and the gas and the pain. He said that the pale color may be white blood cells. He tested me. They were. He then told me about Celiac's. I immediately Googled it. Made sense. then had a blood tests. They also pointed to Celiac. I went to Stanford Celiac clinic. Upper GI later they found issues with my stomach but no sprue signs. I was bounced to a new GI Dr. who tells me that doesn't mean squat and that they cant always find it. Anyhow...I went gluten-free. I still have many GI issue that were still working on but I am like 80% better from not eating gluten. I would shoot for 2 weeks minimum and try to do 4 weeks for fairness. You have to keep a lot in mind. Chap sticks and hand lotions. Mayo jars, peanut butter jars, mustard jars etc are double dipped after touching bread. Counters and grills are not trust worthy. (They grill breads and such on them). Never eat deep fried unless you have prepared it especially gluten-free. Read EVERY label. Avoid HYDROLYZED products as they are often made with wheat in the process. The laws are changing rapidly and gluten is becoming a more well know issue. FDA requires companies now to list the specific allergens on their wrappers. Crumbs stay under nails on stick to skin. Avoid touching gluten. Wash your hands often when around gluten.No kissing beer breath. If you can smell the beer the fluid may still be in the mouth. I recommend Whole foods if you have one in your area. And I have to apologize for the length of this reply and that your mission will become so hard. You will forget. You will lax on paying attention to things and you will be "poisoned". You will get better at it. And if you see improvement after a month or so, you will be faced with a life time of being the weirdo who reads all of the labels and take an hour to do simple shopping. The one who once again has to explain about gluten to the waitress so you can ask to speak to the chef and ask them to work something out with you in regards to the gluten. This is a hard one to do. Mexican food is often gluten-free.

Anyhow, I wish you luck in your search for the answer and I would love to hear how it turns out for you.

-Streee

GraceE Rookie

Thank you so much for the information and advice! I really think I'm going crazy or maybe I'm a hypochondriac. :) Reason I say that is that my symptoms have actually been better for the past couple of weeks. It's been YEARS since I have had stomach problems this minimal. So now I'm wondering if maybe whatever it was it just gone. Maybe it was IBS? I still have this underlying suspicion that it's a gluten intolerance. While I'm not having all the major problems I was having, my poops still float and I still go about 3 or 4 times a days. But really, even the frequency has died down a bit over the past week. So now I'm more confused than ever! I actually decided this weekend that regardless, I would just go gluten-free. But what's so frustrating is that everyone I've told wonders why I don't just go find a new dr (I dont' like mine) and get tested before I try the diet. They all just say that it seems like so much trouble and without a "real" diagnosis, they don't think I'll stick with it. That's starting to make me MAD. Even my mom who is a nurse (and my best friend!) seemed a little unsupportive. I know this diet is tough at first and I need support which is why I guess I would also like to have a definite diagnosis. I've thought about doing the Enterolab or one of the other home lab tests but I know that drs. don't take it seriously and I'm afriad that others won't either. I really should not worry so much about what others think, right?

So bottom line...any suggestions on whether I should go gluten-free for 4 weeks and see how I do (given my lightened symptoms the past 2 weeks), or just find a new dr. and start that whole process again. Sorry to ramble, this is just a really confusing thing for me right now!

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

My doc didn't seem to think I was on the right track when I asked for the blood test, but I asked her to just Humor me and let me take the test. She did, and I came back with antibodies. I don't understand why doctors give such a hard time with it... it's a simple blood test!

I'd get tested, bug your doc again or get a new one.

gfp Enthusiast

If you go gluten-free it can be an intial roller coaster...

Once you stabilise then you might start feeling a whole lot better in many ways you hadn't even thought...

At that time if you want a diagnosis you will need to eat gluten again....

If you feel as good as I did it will be the last thng you wanna do.... so I would suggest getitng tested before you get to a point where the thought of eating gluten for a few months isn't such a horror story and will set you back...

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thank you so much for the information and advice! I really think I'm going crazy or maybe I'm a hypochondriac. :) Reason I say that is that my symptoms have actually been better for the past couple of weeks. It's been YEARS since I have had stomach problems this minimal. So now I'm wondering if maybe whatever it was it just gone. Maybe it was IBS? I still have this underlying suspicion that it's a gluten intolerance. While I'm not having all the major problems I was having, my poops still float and I still go about 3 or 4 times a days. But really, even the frequency has died down a bit over the past week. So now I'm more confused than ever! I actually decided this weekend that regardless, I would just go gluten-free. But what's so frustrating is that everyone I've told wonders why I don't just go find a new dr (I dont' like mine) and get tested before I try the diet. They all just say that it seems like so much trouble and without a "real" diagnosis, they don't think I'll stick with it. That's starting to make me MAD. Even my mom who is a nurse (and my best friend!) seemed a little unsupportive. I know this diet is tough at first and I need support which is why I guess I would also like to have a definite diagnosis. I've thought about doing the Enterolab or one of the other home lab tests but I know that drs. don't take it seriously and I'm afriad that others won't either. I really should not worry so much about what others think, right?

So bottom line...any suggestions on whether I should go gluten-free for 4 weeks and see how I do (given my lightened symptoms the past 2 weeks), or just find a new dr. and start that whole process again. Sorry to ramble, this is just a really confusing thing for me right now!

Dear Grace,

I have been stuck on anti-depressants for years. Docs told me I was just depressed, with IBS and Fibromyalgia. This was despite having Thyroid Disease, Ovarian Cysts, and debilitation stomach issues, and and my gallbladder having to be removed at 20. :( Doctors are primarily stupid. Mine told me several years ago that I could not have gallbladder disease because nothing showed in the tests. I told him, I did research on those tests, and found out they were only about 33 percent accurate at best. He admitted it was true. So, once I pestered him enough, he finally let me see a surgeon. I ended up being a candidate for surgery, as I had previously had a gallstone the doctor I had before him missed. She accused me of being nuts! She forced me to go to counseling and take anti-depressants. <_< I had my gallbladder out, and not a moment too soon! The surgeon told me at my ten day post-op check-up that it was severely inflamed and irritated, and nearly ruptured! :o Always listen to your intuition. It never steers you wrong!

The anti-depressant I would not go cold turkey on. People have committed suicide because of being abruptly taken off of them. These things are worse than crack. They have rehab for painkillers, but not those anti-depressants.

I had negative blood work for Celiac several years ago. I found out from my doc that is not accurate. My biopsy supposedly showed nothing years ago. However, the doctors probably did not even know what they were looking for considering the guy that was head of Gastroenterology and Hepatology missed my bad gallbladder. My current doctor is also a holistic physician. She said she has had a handful of patients like me where blood work and other tests showed nothing, but they were Celiac. So, I tried the diet. It was worth the trouble. Just PM me if you need a list of foods. It will be no trouble.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

ReneCox Contributor

Just because your stomach has been feeling better the past few weeks does not make you a hypochondriac nor does it prove you do not have celiac. celiac symptoms can come and go with varying degrees. I strongly recommend you go forward with the diet. Don't care what others think..your health and wellbeing are way more important:) I also recommend avoiding dairy at first as well as it can cause gas and bloating in celiacs.

mellajane Explorer

I was sick since 7 and am now 30.....Stomach problems my whole life.I am a very happy go lucky type person so you can imagine the shock and dissapointment when Dr.s say you have anxiety and make myself sick. Yes the diet is hard but it is the only thing that has worked in three years.I feel better and do not get sick unless I eat wheat. In research I found that the wheat allergy is more stomach like symptoms. Gluten tends to be more of a IBS symptoms. I get very sick with nausae and vomitting for at least 3 days it is awful.I have hot and cold sweats like crazy..... I am Italian and food is my passion 4years ago I had a catering business. Needless to say my life changed for the better. I will stil pursue my passion in food with wheat and gluten free products...Shoot honey you need food ideas let me know..

I struggled for a long time with stomach problems, pain, cramps, nausea, gas, alternating C and D, feeling miserable. I was diagnosed with IBS (of course) and put on a low dose anti-depressant (Lexapro). After a few weeks it actually helped. But I still have (and this is kind of embarassing), really bad gas and still some lingering stomach issues. When I say really bad gas, I mean actual gas, way more than a normal person should have, gas pains and it's humiliating because it could literally run someone out of a room. AWFUL! I can't be digesting food normally. I've been reading these mosts for months but have never put one up myself. My dr. brushed off Celiac. He told me I could try going gluten-free but said "it's just really tough to do that diet". And I love my dr. but I'm wondering if with the gas and lingering, albeit mild, stomach problems if it's celiac disease but the major symptoms are being masked by the anti-depressant.

I know these questions of IBS vs Celiac get asked a lot but I'm just not sure what to do. Should I bypass my dr. and go straight to a GI and ask for the blood test? I could just go gluten-free and stop taking the Lexapro but I know without a real diagnosis from a dr. then I probably won't stick to it like I should or get as much support (I'm afraid anyway).

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

I'd suggest asking your doctor to do the TTG test (+ total serum IgA) and also ask for a referral to a GI specialist. You are still having GI symptoms- so you could have celiac disease or it might be something else- seeing a GI would make sense.

Since you are eating gluten now, it would be much better to get the blood work done BEFORE initiating any dietary changes. You could tell your doctor that you plan to try the diet and you'd like to have the blood test done first.

I don't feel any different since I've started the diet, but I was positively diagnosed with celiac disease before I went gluten-free so I know I have the disease and that I can't eat gluten again.

pnltbox27 Contributor

ive been on the diet for a little over 3 weeks and i can honestly tell you i haven"t felt this good in at least 20 years, i too had the same symptoms horrible gas and the big D all the time , never had solid stool. my wife and co-workers actualy made me go to gi doc, i absolutly suggest you go and get tested. you owe it to your self .my blood test came back positive then had upper and lower scope a few weeks later. all positive test. it took me at least a 3 weeks to come to grips and start the diet, but like i said, never felt better.i still get gas every now and again ,but nothing like before. i think its because im still learning the diet and i probably gluten myself. good luck i hope you give it a try

tarnalberry Community Regular

Besides the negative side effects from stopping antidepressants cold turkey, it will make it harder to figure out what causes any results if you make more than one change at a time. Change one variable at a time in your experiment, and it will be a more reliable and worthwhile experiment.

larry mac Enthusiast

Grace,

Many similarities to my experience. My advice:

Go back to 5mg Lexipro. Try to take it every day at about the same time. I doubt it has anything to do with your intestinal problems.

Try to find your own gastroenterologist. Your doctor will refer you to a doctor in his business group. They may or may not be worth a flip. I went that route, wasted 1

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Grace,

If you would just like to try the diet, I can get you started. I had negative bloodwork and biopsy as I mentioned. They were apparently wrong. My doctor is not relying heavily on them due to lack of accuracy. She realizes there are exceptions. I assume you are in the U.S., so here is a safe list of product to get you going:

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

Hormel Chili

Hormel Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)

Hormel Beef Au Jus Entree

Hormel Pork Au Jus Entree

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)

Plumrose Bacon

PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)

Beverages:

Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)

Diet Rite

Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)

Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)

Arizona Teas

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice

Some Household Items that are safe include:

Cascade Dishwashing Detergent

All Laundry Detergent

Wisk Laundry Detergent

Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)

SoftSoap Hand Soaps

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Colgate Toothpastes

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Crest WhiteStrips

Colgate Simply White

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. If you are in Canada, some foods have varying ingredients and my not be safe there that are on this list. As a result, I have taken the liberty of searching on Google for a list of Canadian safe items. Go to Open Original Shared Link

GraceE Rookie
Dear Grace,

If you would just like to try the diet, I can get you started. I had negative bloodwork and biopsy as I mentioned. They were apparently wrong. My doctor is not relying heavily on them due to lack of accuracy. She realizes there are exceptions. I assume you are in the U.S., so here is a safe list of product to get you going:

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

Hormel Chili

Hormel Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)

Hormel Beef Au Jus Entree

Hormel Pork Au Jus Entree

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)

Plumrose Bacon

PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)

Beverages:

Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)

Diet Rite

Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)

Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)

Arizona Teas

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice

Some Household Items that are safe include:

Cascade Dishwashing Detergent

All Laundry Detergent

Wisk Laundry Detergent

Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)

SoftSoap Hand Soaps

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Colgate Toothpastes

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Crest WhiteStrips

Colgate Simply White

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. If you are in Canada, some foods have varying ingredients and my not be safe there that are on this list. As a result, I have taken the liberty of searching on Google for a list of Canadian safe items. Go to Open Original Shared Link

Noglugirl -

Thank you soooo much for this!!! It is immensely helpful! Thanks to all that have responded to my post. I feel much better and feel like I can make better decisions around all of this. I also have a posting out there about my daughter. Not only am I concerned about myself but i'm concerned about her. She's always had GI issues. Most recently...constant "my tummy hurts" complaints, always had a slightly swollen belly, constantly constipated. Her pediatrician says it goes like this....eating habits (typical toddler snacks, etc.) equals constipation equals bloating and tummy aches. BUT the kid eats very healthy - lots of fruit, etc. So I'm either going to just start us both on the diet or get us both in to be tested. I live in the same town in NC where Dr. Ivor Hill practices, some of you may be familiar with his research around celiac, specifically in pediatrics. I also just found out that my boss' wife and daughter both have celiac! So now I have some resources here as well.

Anyway, thank you, thank you noglugirl for this list - what a tremendous help (and relief)!

Archived