This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Msg?

pugluver31902

pugluver31902 Explorer

I know that MSG can give you headaches and stuff, but is it gluten free? I see a lot of people on here say they dont eat it. Is it bc it is not gluten free, or bc they just cant tolerate it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ursa Major Collaborator

People don't eat it, because it generally isn't a safe substance to use, and most people are intolerant to it. But it is gluten-free.

HawkFire Explorer

MSG, autolyzed anything, hydrolyzed anything and Yeast extract... to name a few of the many disguises MSG is wearing these days, is a neurotoxin. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will. It is also refered to as an excitotoxin because that's way of telling you what it does to the neurons in your brain. It excites them to .. death. You're killing brain cells every time you consume MSG in whatever costume it's in be it "yeast extract" or Hydrolyzed soy protein".

go to truthinlabeling.org There you will find a list of the many disguises that food manufacturers are putting MSG in.

Please do not eat MSG. I call it a crime against humanity, mass poisoning, chemical warfare. If you've found this information, don't ignore it. Tell the people you care about or you will be caring for them in their 40s as they slip away with alzheimers.

missy'smom Collaborator

Also be aware that MSG is gluten-free in this country but may not be in others. So, be cautious when purchasing products made in other countries. The Truimph dining card for Japanese cuisine lists it as unsafe for Celiacs.

pugluver31902 Explorer

Thanks for all the information guys. I will definitly be looking into it.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Do a google search for MSG and you'll find lots of info. There are advocacy sites both against and for. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

HawkFire Explorer
Do a google search for MSG and you'll find lots of info. There are advocacy sites both against and for. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

No one disputes the fact that MSG is a neurotoxin or that it "excites your neurons to death". That's a fact. The dispute is over whether or not this reality does enough damage to your brain to be considered bad for you. Just open your eyes and look around at the medical news reports in the U.S. Our citizens are the sickest in the "developed world". Our rates of alzhiemers is staggering. Our rates of all diseases rivals the third world countries. Our newborns die at a rate ranked third most in the world. We are poisoning ourselves with blind ambivilance for the sake of convenience. And placating our guilt by accepting the "studies" done by those who stand to profit. I'm a health advocate. I don't get paid. I'm telling you that the truth is not in some shady, grey area. MSG is bad for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pugluver31902 Explorer

What kinds of foods is MSG most often found in?

Tim-n-VA Contributor
No one disputes the fact that MSG is a neurotoxin or that it "excites your neurons to death". That's a fact. The dispute is over whether or not this reality does enough damage to your brain to be considered bad for you. Just open your eyes and look around at the medical news reports in the U.S. Our citizens are the sickest in the "developed world". Our rates of alzhiemers is staggering. Our rates of all diseases rivals the third world countries. Our newborns die at a rate ranked third most in the world. We are poisoning ourselves with blind ambivilance for the sake of convenience. And placating our guilt by accepting the "studies" done by those who stand to profit. I'm a health advocate. I don't get paid. I'm telling you that the truth is not in some shady, grey area. MSG is bad for you.

I don't know what the answer is but it took me less than 30 seconds to find a website, from the FDA, that disputes the "facts" cited. Still, my point in this thread is not to argue for MSG but to argue for not blindly accepting "facts" posted in a message board.

The link is Open Original Shared Link

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I don't know what the answer is but it took me less than 30 seconds to find a website, from the FDA, that disputes the "facts" cited. Still, my point in this thread is not to argue for MSG but to argue for not blindly accepting "facts" posted in a message board.

The link is Open Original Shared Link

Umm...this site is from the FDA. I wouldnt exactly call this "unbiased".

They certainly arent gonna gonna say the truth.....which is that MSG is extremely harmful.

The studies which have been done do show that MSG is harmful and damges the brain. The evidence is out there....I've done alot of research on the subject. I wouldnt stop at a 30 second search....pulling up a site which is put up by the FDA....dig deeper and you will find that what HawkFire says about MSG is true.

I dont "blindly" accept anything in life...it is a fact that MSG and Aspartame are both Neurotoxins. If you feel its safe to feed yourself neurotoxins on a daily basis...thats you're business....I dont have a problem it.

I agree with HawkFire....the truth is not in some grey shady area....its plain as day. Some people choose to ignore it and others are interested in the things that they previously were not aware of.

Noone has to blindly accept anything.....if you are truelly interested you could do alot more than a 30 second search to get a more clear picture of what MSG actually does to your cells.

No one disputes the fact that MSG is a neurotoxin or that it "excites your neurons to death".

It is no secret and as stated....it is not diputed that both MSG and Aspartame are neurotoxins.

Why not do a quick search on neurotoxins?? I dont think you will find that they are safe for consumption.

Also....if the FDA truelly believes that MSG is perfectly safe...then why not label it clearly. Why do all of these food manufactures go through the hassle of processing it into other ingredients to fool consumers and to avoid having the words "Monosodium Glutamate" listed in the ingredients?? There is no end to the list of ingredients containing "hidden" MSG. I see no need for deception when there is nothing to hide. <_<

pugluver31902 Explorer

Doesnt China have some of the smartest healthiest people alive? I thought MSG was mostly in Chinese food. Is it just in America? I searched all my lables tonight and I didnt see anything that said MSG, hydrolyzed soy protein, or yeast extract. What is it usually in?

Kaycee Collaborator

Msg can be in rice crackers, corn crackers, crisps, hams, bacons. It is a lot of processed food.

Cathy

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Thank you Rachel - you post supports the point I wanted to make.

There are advocacy groups saying that MSG is harmful. There are posts that "no one" disputes these facts. The 30 seconds was only to illustrate how wrong that assertion was - not to suggest only looking for 30 seconds. My earlier post in this thread had already made that point. Of course, any counter-point is dismissed as "they certainly aren't going to tell the truth".

Don't listen to me, don't listen to Rachel, don't listen to Hawkfire and don't listen to the first thing you read on a website - this one or any other.

happygirl Collaborator
Also be aware that MSG is gluten-free in this country but may not be in others. So, be cautious when purchasing products made in other countries. The Truimph dining card for Japanese cuisine lists it as unsafe for Celiacs.

For any product sold in a store (i.e., a grocery store), the food labeling laws are applicable to all products, no matter where they are made. So MSG would be safe in a product found at a store, but not necessarily a restaurant.

bluejeangirl Contributor
Doesnt China have some of the smartest healthiest people alive? I thought MSG was mostly in Chinese food. Is it just in America? I searched all my lables tonight and I didnt see anything that said MSG, hydrolyzed soy protein, or yeast extract. What is it usually in?

I don't know if China has smarter and healthier people then other countries but if they do it might be something as simple as eating less saturated fats or they walk more or get more fibrous vegetables .... who knows but I don't thing its because they eat MSG.

Some people aren't as sensitive to MSG as others. If your celiac or gluten intolerant your gut is already compromised and you'll run the risk of being sensitive to it.

Some of the foods high is MSG are highly flavored snack foods like Doritos that have powdered flavorings on them. All canned soups. Alot of sausages and lunch meats. Canned gravies and broths. Restaurant meals with sauces or seasonings. Even some ice creams and coffee creamers. Alot of boxed/ prepared type foods or canned foods like ravioli, macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper. Tuna fish in broth. T.V. dinners of all kinds. Pizza. Frozen vegetable with flavor packets. Breaded fish or chicken thats frozen.

You get to know it by trial and error. I'll get an immediate reaction to it. Just this morning I had yogurt and felt funny and sure enough it was in that to.

I might cheat on a few of my intolerances but never on gluten and MSG. Its not worth it to me.

Gail

UR Groovy Explorer

removed

UR Groovy Explorer

Sincerest Apologies

I'm actually going to remove the post. It was pretty heated. I just went back and somehow missed that it was just a quick search, etc. etc.

I now realize that that wasn't the end of any search (FDA Site) for information, however, what I said stands. Those government websites are really not the best place to get 'the truth'.

So, sorry, didn't mean to judge anybody's perspective. This particular subject really gets me though. In the future, I'll try to exercise a little more control.

HawkFire Explorer

It is best to know that every time you consume MSG *(truthinlabeling.com to find the various names MSG hides behind) you kill brain cells that cannot be replaced. It is a neurotoxin. It matters.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
There are posts that "no one" disputes these facts. The 30 seconds was only to illustrate how wrong that assertion was - not to suggest only looking for 30 seconds.

Actually, if you reread the posts they state that noone disputes that MSG is a neurotoxin. Your 30 second search did not disprove this fact.

Here is an incomplete list of some examples of neurotoxins

1) Heavy metals: such as mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminium.

2) Biotoxins: such as tetanus toxin, botulinum toxin (botox), ascaridin (from intestinal parasites), unspecified toxins from streptococci, staphylococci, lyme disease, clamydia, tuberculosis, fungal toxins and toxins produced by viruses. Biotoxins are minute molecules (200-1000 kilodaltons) containing nitrogen and sulfur. They belong to a group of chemical messengers which microorganisms use to control the host

gfp Enthusiast

Another thing we agree on....but the reason for the US being so sick is probably far more complex than MSG... or even just processed food....

However... lots of things are toxins.. and frankly there is little you can eat that isn't in some way...

As an example look at the Soy advocacy sites... and spookily its a huge commerical crop in the US.... and the FDA are fence sitting because of the effect on the farmers and economy...

But I also think it is a little grey area... alcohol is also a neurotoxin... or at least its breakdown products are...

In France all alcohol ads carry "Consume in moderation" ...

Personally I try and avoid soy and MSG... but not like I avoid gluten... I won't buy a packet containing it but I'll occasisionally eat soy shoots or use a little soy sauce... Its one of those things I think we are all better without... but also the body can cope with a little. We loose brain cells every day... but eating something regualrly you know destroys them just seems stupid to me... so I do like they say with alcohol and consume in moderation... which is as close to non as I can easily get without cutting out what I can eat too severely....

Hmmm perhaps a better explanation... say I hadn't eaten for 2 days... I still would not eat gluten but if I got the opportunity for some food containing soy or MSG I'd probably eat it because not eating for 2 days isn't healthy either...

Tim-n-VA Contributor

And from that website I cited above:

"No evidence exists to suggest that dietary MSG causes brain lesions or damages nerve cells in humans."

And again, all I'm saying is that these "facts" that are being thrown out are not globally accepted.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
And again, all I'm saying is that these "facts" that are being thrown out are not globally accepted.

The only "fact" I'm throwing out is that MSG is a neurotoxin. It is what it is.

As far as anything else....I've done my homework and come to my own conclusions.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here's a scary one for you:

There is a product called Marmite. It is actually a waste product of industrial brewing, and was once discarded. However, someone eventually decided to offer this to the unsuspecting public as a "food". Marmite has 1750mg of MSG per 100g. That's a higher concentration than any other manufactured product on the planet, except a jar of MSG from the Ajinomoto MSG factory.

The scariest part is that MSG is NOT on the list of ingredients! Even if the stuff was safe, how could anyone justify its omission from the list?

When I buy a package of plain frozen peas for example, the ingredients list "Peas". Obvious yes, but none the less an accurate description of the contents. If you want to assert that MSG is safe, and you are willing to consume it, that is your decision. But if it isn't properly disclosed on the label, the consumer is not being given the information with which to make that decision. Believe anything you desire about any ingredient, but don't hide the ingredient from the consumer. That fact alone draws suspicion, don't you think?

Mango04 Enthusiast

I find this really interesting:

In 1969, apparently concerned with the bad reports regarding "monosodium glutamate," the glutamate industry formed a nonprofit organization to defend the safety of MSG, the International Glutamate Technical Committee. Later, in 1977, they increased their efforts with the development of a nonprofit subsidiary, The Glutamate Association, primarily operating as a public relations arm of the glutamate industry. In about 1990, the glutamate industry turned to the International Food Information Council (IFIC), another nonprofit industry-funded organization, to be their spokesman and to promote the safety of MSG along with the other products that they represent.

Open Original Shared Link

I'm not even going to say anything else about it. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

About China, I've been told from people who have been there that they only use organic farming methods and they eat whole foods, as opposed to the processed foods we eat here. When you consider that the average American diet consists of mostly processed foods, and most processed foods contain MSG, I don't think we can safely say Americans eat less MSG than Chinese people do.

bluejeangirl Contributor
Here's a scary one for you:

There is a product called Marmite. It is actually a waste product of industrial brewing, and was once discarded. However, someone eventually decided to offer this to the unsuspecting public as a "food". Marmite has 1750mg of MSG per 100g. That's a higher concentration than any other manufactured product on the planet, except a jar of MSG from the Ajinomoto MSG factory.

The scariest part is that MSG is NOT on the list of ingredients! Even if the stuff was safe, how could anyone justify its omission from the list?

When I buy a package of plain frozen peas for example, the ingredients list "Peas". Obvious yes, but none the less an accurate description of the contents. If you want to assert that MSG is safe, and you are willing to consume it, that is your decision. But if it isn't properly disclosed on the label, the consumer is not being given the information with which to make that decision. Believe anything you desire about any ingredient, but don't hide the ingredient from the consumer. That fact alone draws suspicion, don't you think?

This what angers me also RiceGuy. For instance, and I learned this from Rachel, they spray a chemical called Auxigro on vegetables as a pesticide that has L-glutamic acid in it. Its right in the vegetable and you can't wash it off cuz it remains in the plant itself. There just seems to be alot of cover-up. I don't like it.

I just want to know where I'm safe and not safe with buying my food.

Archived