32 replies to this topic

#16 NWLAX36Mom

NWLAX36Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

What do you think are the best sources of fiber on a gluten-free diet?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

Dear Slackermommy,
I have been gluten free for the same time as you. I was losing a little weight in the beginning, but now seem to not be able to lose any. It could be the yeast contributing to that. However, I am hungry all the time, and cannot go low-carb. My hypoglycemia does not respond well to it. I get dizzy and sweaty and all kinds of stuff. It was terrible. My lower abdomen is really bloated.
I am thinking other food intolerances are a possibility for me. I do not hardly eat dairy. I can only handle it in extremely small amounts on occaision.

Dear NWLAX36mommy,
I have always been athletic, too. I have a somewhat muscular frame. I used to eat a lot of cereal before my diagnosis. I think our bodies are all different to a point. I know certain foods make others bulkier. It depends on the exercise, too. I am pear-shaped, and found out rollerblading, ecliptical trainers, stairclimbing, and similar things will bulk me up, not slim me down. I had been doing those and could not figure out why I could not lose any in my trouble spots.

Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#18 princeoli

princeoli

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

I have just started the Gluten free diet due to acid reflux and I am losing weight. In the past I have always had success with weight loss following a high Alkaline low acid diet. I have always hated counting calories and carbs so this diet is great. I eat as much as i want on it. It works and I always feel healthier on it. You can lose a pound a day. They say if your body has an alkaline level of 7 that not even cancer could survive. Here are some good links to a guide to go by. It tells you which foods are high acid and low acid. All household chemicals and medications are high acid. Check shampoos and soaps etc. I use kiss my face soap and natures gate shampoo I buy at vitacost.com. I also have a shower filter. The chlorine in the water lowers your alkaline ph levels. Your body hates high acid and builds fat cells around your organs to protect them. From experience the quickest way to raise your alakaline to 7 (healthy) is to take epsom salt baths(alkaline of 12) 3 days a week. I used to eat something acid and go up about 3 to 4 pounds right after eating it not realizing it was a high acid. Now I have a high alkaline food or drink after eating (low to moderate acids)and this does not happen.

Lemon, watermelon, sea salt
Rice flour, millet flour, tapioca starch and flour, buckwheat, potato, arrowroot(regular corn is man invented and a high acid sweet corn is natural and an alkaline)
chicken
turkey
lots of fruits and veggies
Ragu organic spaghetti sauce
Polaner all fruit jam and homemade tapioca pudding
homemade mayonaise and salad dressing or buy at health food store
Haagen Daz ice cream low acid for dessert
Splenda for sweetner lowest acid sweetner(stevia sweetner alkaline)
Coffee Put a cal/mag vitamin in coffee filter to neutralize acid
I switched to Borax, oxy clean and seventh generation dish soap everyone in my house lost 5 to 10 pounds without dieting.

Candida Diet Foods to Raise PH in The Body(scroll down the page to foods)
http://www.yeastinfe...kalinediet.html

Lose 20 lbs easily raising your alkaline ph levels
http://mysite.verizo...lipe2/id26.html
He says to put baking soda in all your beverages to alkaline them. I use lemon or lime. I heard baking soda is not safe to digest frequently.

CUREZONE.com
http://www.curezone.com

#19 francelajoie

francelajoie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

Here are some high fiber food ideas.

http://www.mayoclini...r-foods/NU00582

Lentils are great with rice. Add some shredded carrots and little soy sauce. Can be a good lunch if you have leftovers.
France

#20 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

I have just started the Gluten free diet due to acid reflux and I am losing weight. In the past I have always had success with weight loss following a high Alkaline low acid diet. I have always hated counting calories and carbs so this diet is great. I eat as much as i want on it. It works and I always feel healthier on it. You can lose a pound a day. They say if your body has an alkaline level of 7 that not even cancer could survive.

Here are some good links to a guide to go by. It tells you which foods are high acid and low acid. All household chemicals and medications are high acid. Check shampoos and soaps etc. I use kiss my face soap and natures gate shampoo I buy at vitacost.com. I also have a shower filter. The chlorine in the water lowers your alkaline ph levels.

Lemon, watermelon, sea salt
Rice flour
chicken
turkey
lots of fruits and veggies
Haagen Daz ice cream low acid for dessert
Splenda for sweetner lowest acid sweetner

Candida Diet Foods to Raise PH in The Body(scroll down the page to foods)
http://www.yeastinfe...kalinediet.html

Lose 20 lbs easily raising your alkaline ph levels
http://mysite.verizo...lipe2/id26.html

Dear princeoli,
I am so glad you posted this! I am suffering from Candida something awful! This could really help! I have had to drink tap water for days now due to our water filter breaking. Payday is not until tomorrow. :( I do not like how I feel drinking tap water. I know it is full of toxins and bad for me.
Alkalinization looks like it could really help me. Thank you for the info! I have those web addresses in my favorites now!

Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#21 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

So for myself, I've realized it MOSTLY comes down to your food intake, and I realized that I can't lose weight when eating a lot of sugar, carbs in general, dairy, even a lot of fruit. When I first went gluten free I started eating and "testing" all the gluten free goodies out there, which I soon noticed frequently had SUGAR as the first, main ingredient. These things are incredibly high carb, high sugar. While eating all this stuff, I continued to have a very upset digestive system. I think I didn't handle the various starchy flours or all the sugar. And I realized that I wasn't eating that way before celiac....I knew I couldn't eat all that sugar stuff without gaining weight....so why was I eating it now?

This is me right now. I have been gluten-free since July. At first it was great and I lost weight which was good. I had been struggling with overweight issues all my life. Then I started to try out all these gluten-free foods and recipes I was finding. Now I find that my HypoGlycemia is back with a vengance, and I have GAINED 5kg in the last month !!!!!!!! Obviously I have to drastically change my diet and eat more meat and veges, but .... 'what' ? What are some good lunch ideas ? I am dairy free too at the moment. I am sooo hungry after meals now. Eating a gluten-free slice of cake makes me feel good ! I need someone to YELL at me and tell me to eat a boiled egg or nuts as a snack and not gluten-free cake :lol: I may even have Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome and be high risk for Diabetes. Help !!! :blink:

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#22 DrDave

DrDave

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

I know that it's been a long time since anyone has said anything in this discussion, so I don't know if anyone will see it. But, why are you people having your gall bladder removed? Your gall bladder and liver have been working overtime to filter out the large food particles and toxic substances, that your leaky gut (all celiac patients have it) has put into your bloodstream. Once you are on gluten free diet, your gall bladder, liver, kidneys, pancreas and everything else, will start working better. It may take a few weeks. Don't remove your organs, people. How do you expect to make bile, in order to digest properly? This is the problem I have with mainstream medicine. Their answer is to remove something. That's garbage. Once you have gotten over the initial stage of your gluten free diet (3-6 weeks), you should notice that your stools should return to normal color (beige, fatty stools are caused by the lack of bile released into your system, because of toxic overload). The fatty part is caused by the fat not being digested properly. After your stools return to normal color and texture, you are healing. After a few more weeks, I suggest doing a colon cleanse, and then a gall bladder and liver cleanse. You can follow up with a kidney cleanse, if you have had any issues there. After this procedure, your gall bladder will probably be working just fine. I have a suggestion that I make to all people with a health challenge. It's YOUR body. Do some research, instead of just following the doctor's suggestions. Learn about your body. It can heal itself in MIRACULOUS ways.

#23 AshleyS

AshleyS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

In the last 2 weeks i have been eating gluten-free homemade breads and cookies along with fruits, veggies and nuts- and I feel like I have gained a bit. Which is irritating. I know it is the 'breads and desserts,' but I didn't eat them for so long. It feels llike a sudden weight gain also.
I don't know what to do

#24 keysey

keysey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

I've been on a gluten free diet now for 7 months, initially I started to lose pants sizes because I lost all the bloating from eating gluten. Now though, it seems like I'm starting to put on weight even though I'm continuing on a gluten free diet. Is this possible and normal? I had my gallbladder out in December could that have something to do with it? I'm 20 years old 5'4" and at 120 since going gluten free, but now I'm at 125 in the last few weeks and people are starting to notice my weight gain. I'm really scared about this weight gain and possibly putting on more weight. Do you have any suggestions?

Hey I'm 17 ..18 in a few days.. and to the above posters i'm the complete opposite i cant gain weight its a huge pain in the arse .. i was diagnosed with this when i was in grade 4 so 9 yrs ago roughly... yeah any ideas how i can gain weight i follow my diet rather well i occasionally stray from what i should eat when i go out with friends other than that im good with it ..

#25 sharkmom

sharkmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:03 AM

I dont think it matters what type of diet you follow. It is simply calories in vs. calories out. Over the years, I have lost weight eating high carb foods, high fat, etc. as long as I kept my total under 1200 a day, I lost weight. Keeping a food diary helps me stay on track.

#26 keysey

keysey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:35 AM

ahhh yeah cheers mate ill give that ago

#27 Rworthy

Rworthy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

I have not been diagnosed with Celiac disease, but have noticed that my problems which go back to childhood could be related to a gluten intolerance. I have been exercising religiously since April. I went back to a gluten free diet last week, not replacing wheat/gluten products with gluten free subsitutes, but getting rid of them completely. Last week I noticed I finally started to lose weight, a pound here, 2 pounds there. On Saturday I had a few vodka tonics (4 total), but other than that, did not cheat on my diet at all. (Every day averages about 1400 calories). I got on the scale Monday morning, and it said I had GAINED 7 pounds...from Friday. I am extremely discouraged to think that I was on a weight loss track, and now I'm back to my start weight after virtually starving myself and exercising like crazy, on this gluten free diet. I don't know what's going on, I've consulted several forums and everyone says don't worry it will come back down - it could be water weight, etc. I don't believe them. I walked an extra mile yesterday, for a total of 75 minutes in the heat. I weighed myself this morning and only came down 1 pound. Is this gluten free diet making me gain weight? How am I supposed to stay on track for losing weight (I need to lose about 30 to get out of the "obese" category and move into "overweight") if I don't even mess up, and am doing everything right, only to gain an enormous amount of weight literally overnight? I'm seeing a lot of posts here that say you were underweight because of the Celiac disease...is anyone OVERweight due to Celiac? I am feeling better because of eliminating gluten, but I am SUPER hungry, and even though I don't have any energy to exercise, I push myself WAY overboard because I want to see my hard work pay off. Is there something I can do to lose the weight I've already lost before starting this diet, and then lose more to get on track?

Super disappointed and confused!

#28 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

i've gained about 7 pounds since going gluten-free 4 months ago and although I'm far from overweight, I'm very scared about gaining more and more weight. I'm trying to eat less calories with this new diet because before I could eat whatever I wanted and still was losing weight. I'm trying to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but they just don't fill me up and I am constantly craving carbs and sweets. I've just started going dairy free because I have not felt much better since going on the gluten-free diet 4 months ago and think that maybe my intestines won't heal until I stop dairy for awhile. I'm tired ALL the time. It's so frustrating. I'm just so afraid of gaining more weight. And I exercise frequently (4-6 times a week on average).

#29 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

i've gained about 7 pounds since going gluten-free 4 months ago and although I'm far from overweight, I'm very scared about gaining more and more weight. I'm trying to eat less calories with this new diet because before I could eat whatever I wanted and still was losing weight. I'm trying to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but they just don't fill me up and I am constantly craving carbs and sweets. I've just started going dairy free because I have not felt much better since going on the gluten-free diet 4 months ago and think that maybe my intestines won't heal until I stop dairy for awhile. I'm tired ALL the time. It's so frustrating. I'm just so afraid of gaining more weight. And I exercise frequently (4-6 times a week on average).

It is interesting I must be the only one here who lost weight on the gluten free diet. Before starting the diet I was around 140lbs now I am about 127lbs and it is funny how when I met some old friends who knew me years ago they congratulated me for gaining some weight and I was like who gained weight? :o

I used to be skinny most of my life and I dont know if it was due to malabsorption but I melted when I went gluten. I even got scared when I reached 126-127lbs because I didn't want to keep losing but it it is stable for the last 6 months.

I think the reason why I lost so much weight was for me all the sugar was coming with the gluten. I am not someone who drinks pop and I dont add sugar to hot drinks. I also eat not too fat and with almost no restaurant food and no processed food, I am in control of the fat and sugar.

Maybe I precipitated my weight lost with two other things:
-by introducing coconut oil and using it for about 2 months
-with depression I had after being 6 months gluten free. I had 0 appetite.

Now, I am better and not depressed anymore so I eat well and sometimes I overeat ut for some reason, my gluten free over eating has limits I can't go on like when I was craving pizza or pastries. Generally like 80% of the time, I eat whole foods a lot of brown rice (mostly in bread sorgho chickpeas tapioca) I fry more food than ever before and since I find my food pretty boring (I am sick and tired of rice!) I do get some pastry and I indulge in home fried food. For now, I feel like nothing is making me gain weight. I wonder if I dont eat too much proteins or at least a lot more than before going gluten-free. Also, wonder if it is not an issue of hormones...maybe there is some imbalance and I have more testosterone lol I really hope not but I find my body has never been so lean except when I was a skinny teen.

Just one more thing: just before gluten started hiting me hard and feeling pain about 1.5 year ago, I was on gluten like some people are on drug and I was eating lots of calories in just pastry and ice-creams.
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#30 Lisa79

Lisa79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

I have been gluten-free since I was diagnosed with celiac disease nearly 18 months, in have gained 18kg in the last 12 months :( I was very thin when I was first diagnosed so the first 5kg I happily accepted, I am not extremely overweight, I do look and feel healthier but the weight is just not stopping. The last couple of weeks I have been very careful eating well exercising (riding/walking) at least 4 times p/week, bought my own juicer and been juicing all sorts of fruits and veg daily, and I gained another 0.5kg... I know in those first few months I overcompensated with chocolate and other gluten-free yummy food, maybe just to replace what I couldnt have and a bit of feeling sorry for myself coming to terms with the celiac disease, but 18kg is alot to gain in 12 months, and I have changed my eating to healthier foods.

I do find I have a bigger appetite now. I have other food intolerances too, which does also cause bloating and constipation, I avoid dairy, nightshades, soy, eggs, but I must admit to slip up with these things occasionally, my diet is pretty restrictive but I manage to keep gaining weight.

I am seeing a homeopath which has done wonders so far with my intolerances, I can slip up and dont feel much of the effect, I have heaps more energy and my anxiety is undercontrol.

Now I just want to lose a few kg and keep my weight at a healthy weight that I am happy with.

I also had my gallbladder out about 3-4 years ago, interesting to see how many had gallbladder issues. I think anyone with Gallbladder issues should be tested for celiac disease.

Lisa :)

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.
DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005
DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009
DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: