This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg.....

JerryK

JerryK Community Regular

So this Jerry dude goes shopping yesterday evening. He decides to look in the health food section (which incidentally smells really nasty, like a pharmacy) to see if he can find Gluten Free bread.

Having learned about Spelt and "flourless" Sprouted Wheat bread, I smugly pass them by. They look nice, but I've learned my lesson.

I see these wierd stacks of what looks like freeze dried tofu. Really nasty looking stuff. I go over to see exactly what this stuff is... It is Gluten-Soy-Yeast & Dairy free "bread"! Now I don't want to offend anyone, but you could build a house with this stuff. I for one don't need a sandwich that bad. I mean I might buy some of that if I want to reinforce my driveway or something...but actually EAT it, I don't think so. Might as well be eating a brick. Say it's better than this...please ;)

Hope everyone is having a great day..j

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Jerry,

I can agree, most bread is not suitable for eating. I get the Grainless Baker sandwich bread...rarely. It is good, but I just seem to not want a sandwich that bad anymore. I have been making wraps with the Mission Corn Wraps in sandwiches place. They seem to be working pretty good for now.

Hope your next shopping trip is better.

JerryK Community Regular

You could use it for target shooting maybe...or replacement shingles on your roof:)

Michi8 Contributor
So this Jerry dude goes shopping yesterday evening. He decides to look in the health food section (which incidentally smells really nasty, like a pharmacy) to see if he can find Gluten Free bread.

Having learned about Spelt and "flourless" Sprouted Wheat bread, I smugly pass them by. They look nice, but I've learned my lesson.

I see these wierd stacks of what looks like freeze dried tofu. Really nasty looking stuff. I go over to see exactly what this stuff is... It is Gluten-Soy-Yeast & Dairy free "bread"! Now I don't want to offend anyone, but you could build a house with this stuff. I for one don't need a sandwich that bad. I mean I might buy some of that if I want to reinforce my driveway or something...but actually EAT it, I don't think so. Might as well be eating a brick. Say it's better than this...please ;)

I wouldn't be trying that bread either. :) Kinnikinnick makes really good breads that are worth trying. Their english muffins are especially good, and I really like their pizza crusts.

Michelle

jerseyangel Proficient

Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? Their Gluten Free Bakeshop Sandwich Bread is pretty good.

I use The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread. Yes, it's a mix, but it's super easy! Smells great while it's baking, and has a nice taste. I've also made rolls and pizza crust with it.

JerryK Community Regular
Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? Their Gluten Free Bakeshop Sandwich Bread is pretty good.

I use The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread. Yes, it's a mix, but it's super easy! Smells great while it's baking, and has a nice taste. I've also made rolls and pizza crust with it.

Close to my work is a "New Seasons" store, which I'm told has a nice selection of gluten-free free stuff. I'll try there...Anyone familiar with New Seasons?

gfp Enthusiast

In general i find it all disspointing ... I just don't eat it usually...

VERY rarely I get some and I usually toast it etc.

Problem is once you open it it gets even harder ... you might not have thought it possible but they are planning on using it on the next shuttle mission to replace the defective tiles!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Unfortunately, Jerry, if I want a piece of bread I'm stuck with that garbage! I can't have gluten, of course, but I can't have yeast either because of the antibiotics I'm on (long-term). I buy the one by Kinnikinnick.

It's funny because several days a week hubby makes me an egg sandwich. He makes himself one, too. He doesn't have to eat gluten-free or yeast-free, but uses the same bread he makes my sandwich with!! Now, he can't toast the regular bread, but if I were him, I would at least use the bread with yeast!!

I prefer the Van's gluten-free waffles with a fried egg on top to the yeast free bread. They have no yeast either and are certainly easier to chew ... since I have braces, easy to chew is important!!

Guhlia Rising Star

Jerry, some of the Kinnikinnick breads are wonderful. They're pricey, but well worth it if you're craving bread. Make sure to freeze them upon receipt and then toast slices when needed. Mission corn tortillas are good to make wrap sandwiches with. That's what we used to do. Also, if you find a good pancake recipe, you can use the pancakes as bread. It sounds kind of gross, but it's surprisingly tasty. You may want to make the pancakes a little thinner than normal if using them for bread. Then, just pop them in the microwave before topping. It's actually really good.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions of actual edible brands of gluten-free bread as I'm in the UK (but trust me there are some)

...but can I just say..your post made me laugh so hard :lol::lol::lol:

CMCM Rising Star

Kinnickinnick breads (the white ones) are tolerable. Many health food stores either have them or can get them for you. You have to keep them frozen and defrost when needed. I mostly use them as toast. Since they are fairly worthless nutritionally, I don't really have them much...mainly for breakfast if I have a poached egg on toast or something. Their english muffins are actually quite good...keep those frozen too.

My mom was diagnosed 40 years ago, and at that time there were ZERO breads. She got in the habit of making waffles with her rice mix, then freezing them and using them as bread.

Most of the gluten-free breads you see around (aside from the Kinnickinnick ones) weigh as much as a brick and are truly horrible. They crumble, disintegrate and fall apart, to say nothing of a lousy taste.

I've never made my own gluten-free bread, but many around here have talked about good recipes....there's even a bread maker or two now that have gluten-free bread cycles.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I am rather spoiled. I have a gluten-free bakery near me... and every Thursday I head out to pick up absolutely delicious loaves of sour-dough to last the week. Other than that... I don't eat bread, the other gluten-free stuff is yuck-o! Though, I do agree that Kinikinnick is decent, I really like their English muffins, even though they look and feel nothing like an english muffin. =)

johnsoniu Apprentice
In general i find it all disspointing ... I just don't eat it usually...

VERY rarely I get some and I usually toast it etc.

Problem is once you open it it gets even harder ... you might not have thought it possible but they are planning on using it on the next shuttle mission to replace the defective tiles!

Now that's funny right there :lol::lol:

Kinickinnick gets my vote, best I've had so far. Although I find you still have to toast the hell out of it. I need a toaster like the amplifier they had in the Spinal Tap movie. You know, the one that goes to 11 instead of 10 B)

JerryK Community Regular
they are planning on using it on the next shuttle mission to replace the defective tiles!

Good one! You might be on to something. I think it's safe to assume the Space Shuttle Tiles are gluten-free ;)

miles2go Contributor

Hi Jerry, you're not going to like my answer, but I may have some salvation for you at the end of this post. I ran out and bought Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread just as soon as knew that I'd have to go gluten-free. I had a bread machine and although it was a little confusing at first, it became relatively easy over time. Now I don't even use the bread machine (mostly because I've lost the beater somewhere in my kitchen), but the gluten-free doughs are more the consistency of cake batter and don't need kneading. I make all kinds of stuff and it tastes great, even sourdoughs. I gave a taste to my chef friend and he said something like, that's better than the stuff we bake here. The key is in reserving some baking time, freezing and then toasting or microwaving afterwards. Even if you don't end up with toast. I would never ever buy those disgusting looking loaves that you're talking about. I have found that I really don't like Jillian's or Kinnikinnick at all, probably because I'm spoiled, but Glutino makes a truly righteous bagel and flax seed bread. So if you see those in the freezer department, go for it.

Margaret

L.A. Contributor

Hey Jerry: I agree, the freak aisle (health food) as my kids call it is pretty scary :unsure: I went through many brands of gluten-free bread before I found one I lovemade by STERK Bakery...sadly though, only in Canada. Happy hunting. L.A.

babygirl1234 Rookie
Hey Jerry: I agree, the freak aisle (health food) as my kids call it is pretty scary :unsure: I went through many brands of gluten-free bread before I found one I lovemade by STERK Bakery...sadly though, only in Canada. Happy hunting. L.A.

i agree some of the gluten-free breads are nasty, one bread even crables when you toast it

DebbieInCanada Rookie
Hi Jerry, you're not going to like my answer, but I may have some salvation for you at the end of this post. I ran out and bought Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread ...

Margaret

I'm sure that I read in another thread the Jerry LOVES to bake :ph34r: . I think he said it brings out his softer, creative side... Hey - it's better than eating shuttle tiles!!

Debbie

sherylj Rookie
I am rather spoiled. I have a gluten-free bakery near me... and every Thursday I head out to pick up absolutely delicious loaves of sour-dough to last the week. Other than that... I don't eat bread, the other gluten-free stuff is yuck-o! Though, I do agree that Kinikinnick is decent, I really like their English muffins, even though they look and feel nothing like an english muffin. =)

Where is this gluten-free bakery in midwest???

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've had the ener-g bricks - after heating up the bread - with some of my more flavorful sandwhiches. They're not as bad as they look after heating, but, yeah, not real bread either.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

the breads are mostly crap....BUT - - the Whole Foods white sandwich bread, if gently toasted with butter and honey......OMG - - - not bad at all - - - - :)

and what a bargain, at NINE DOLLARS AND TWENTY SIX CENTS A LOAF :angry:

confused Community Regular
the breads are mostly crap....BUT - - the Whole Foods white sandwich bread, if gently toasted with butter and honey......OMG - - - not bad at all - - - - :)

and what a bargain, at NINE DOLLARS AND TWENTY SIX CENTS A LOAF :angry:

omg 9:26 an loaf. i think i will have to drive to the city for that bargain lol. I hope one day gluten free prices will drop, it is highway robbbery what they make us pay for stuff that is not that great lol

paula

JerryK Community Regular
I'm sure that I read in another thread the Jerry LOVES to bake :ph34r: . I think he said it brings out his softer, creative side... Hey - it's better than eating shuttle tiles!!

Debbie

Yes this summer, I've decided to forgo lawn and house maintenance in lieu of baking. I mean my wife always says I

johnsoniu Apprentice
I have to admit the gluten-free raisin tiles I bought yesterday were much better smeared to near soaking with trans-fats. Quite palatable actually.

I won't starve, I will complain, but I won't starve. j

Yep, me too.

I may end up overweight, diabetic, with high cholesterol and clogged arteries, but I'll be Gluten Free! B)

And probably broke, this stuff is really expensive

laurelfla Enthusiast

Ener-g bricks were the first bread i bought and i cried because i figured all the breads were like that! :) but they're not. they're somewhat better. the only way to me to feel happy about eating bread again is to make it myself, which is very time-consuming... so i make it every couple of weeks or so and always mix up two batches of the dry ingredients to speed up the process the next time.

but if Jerry doesn't want to bake... Kinnikinnick (sp? i don't think i will ever learn to spell it) makes a sunflower flax seed bread that is kind of nice.

i got through the first bag of Ener-g by loading it up with pepperoni and cheese and grilling it in a mound of butter... then the second bag went in my hurricane preparedness kit, since it was good until about 2030. ;)

Archived