This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is The Endoscopy Like?

Killarney

Killarney Apprentice

I have an appt for my endoscopy (biopsy) on Tuesday.

What is it like? Are you awake? It says I will be given medication to make me "sleepy and relaxed"... but that means I'm awake right? Do you feel anything going on during it?

Afterwards... do you feel any discomfort? When will I be "back to normal?"

Thanks. Kind of nervous.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

The stuff they give you sedates you but doesn't knock you out as hard as if you were having surgery. I think you are awake enough to respond to commands. Make sure you get something like Versed, which acts as an amnesiac. I had Versed and I can't tell you how awake I was because I don't remember a darn thing.

You won't actually be out of it that long, but you should plan to take the day off from whatever you do because most people remain groggy for a good part of the day. I had no discomfort afterward; the most discomfort I felt was them putting the IV in. If you have it in the morning, you should be back to normal sometime in the afternoon unless you just don't handle sedation well.

richard

jaimek Enthusiast

It was very easy for me. I was put under and was completely asleep. They spray your throat with some stuff and then that was the last thing I remembered. I woke up and felt fine, a little groggy but that's it. I was up and ready to go in about 1/2 hour. No pain or discomfort at all afterwards. You will be fine. No worries :D

gf4life Enthusiast

Technically you are awake, but you will be so out of it that you won't really be aware of what is going on and most people don't remember it once they come out of the medicated state.

It shouldn't hurt, and usually the only people who have problems are those with a very bad gag reflex. Some people experience a bit of a sore throat afterwards, but I've had two endoscopic exams and never had a sore throat.

You might be sleepy for a while afterwards, but should be able to eat as soon as you completely wake up. And you should be able to eat any foods that you could tolerate before the exam.

Some people also experience some gas and bloating, due to the air that was used to inflate your intestines to get better pictures. This should go away by the next day and then you should be back to normal.

Occasionally a person has a bad reaction to the medication (like vomiting afterwards), but I think it is pretty rare.

You should be fine. :)

God bless,

Mariann

hthorvald Rookie

I agree. It was pretty painless and I can't remember a thing. The worst part for me was the nervousness I experiencec in anticipation of the procedure. Everyone told me it was going to be a piece of cake, but was concerned anyway. And you know what? They were right. It was a piece of (gluten-free) cake!

I've not known anyone who has vomited afterwards. I couldn't eat anything 8 hours before the procedure, or drink anything 2 hours before, so my stomach was very empty. And, I felt fine afterwards. I slept in recovery and then took it easy when I got home. I ate a light meal and had no after effects, except for burping.

You'll do fine. If I can do it, trust me - I'm a high strung, nervous type, anyone can.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck with the results, too.

Take care,

H.

hapi2bgf Contributor

For as awful as the idea of an endoscopy is, the actual procedure is easy. I was out and remember nothing. Bring someone with you as you will not remember much or be able to form any real questions immediately after the prodecure.

If you are really nervous/anxious going into the procedure, ask the nurse or doctor for something to relax you. They will either give you something to relax you or just put you out then.

You will feel out of it for the day, but it was nothign worse than a serious case of medicine head for me. We went gluten-free food shopping and out to lunch right after.

Good luck.

lyndszai Apprentice

Hey if I were you I wouldnt worry about it I just got my biopsy done yesterday I was completely out though.When I woke up I had a sore throat and its still sore today but they told me that could happen .I think you'll do fine just like the others said but I wont jump right back into things I would take it easy for the first couple of hours.If you dont like ivs you can ask them for this cream that numbs you hand they might give it to you.

Good luck lets us know how it goes

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

endos aren't a big deal.......i've had two; one within the past two weeks. The first time i had no symptoms, second time some cramping from the gas that got in me during the procedure and some vomiting from the anysthesia.......that was a longer and more invasive biopsy.....anyway, if you don't like needles, they also have some gas thing to get you "giggly".....I did the first endo. without it....I used to dislike needles but frankly, i've been pricked so many times for bloodwork that I don't care anymore.......they gave me a mask even though i didn't want it the second time -- it was a really weird sensation and i'd rather just taek the needle......i'd expand on the procedure, but i've got many tests to study for and tons of hw....

-C

plantime Contributor

I had an endo on Sep 15. I remember getting an iv with Benadryl, then mylacon drops to prevent gas, then a combination of versed and demarol. The next thing I remembered was waking up in the recovery room with my husband smiling at me. I did not get a sore throat. Mine was done a 3:30 pm, so I came home and slept the evening away. I was up for a few hours during the night, but slept all morning the next day. It was a very easy procedure for me.

cynicaltomorrow Contributor

My endoscopy wasn't nearly as bad as my colonoscopy. The stuff they sprayed my throat with kind of started to wear off as the procedure neared. But, as soon as they put the amnesiac/painkiller in my IV.. I was pretty much out. I remember gagging a little when he was trying to get me to swallow the tube. I know I was "awake" a little bit after that, but I don't remember what happened. The next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room. Everything's kind of fuzzy. I remember tying my shoes and insisting on walking myself out of the hospital (not using a wheelchair). My mom said it was pretty funny to watch. I kind of remember the car ride home. Then, I went to sleep. The only time my throat felt funny was when I yawned or something. I didn't feel too up for anything for a day or two. I think it could've been a combination of the biopsy and then eating gluten foods, since that was before diagnosis. Good luck!

Archived