5 replies to this topic

#1 mandasmom

mandasmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

Does anyone eat Dannon light and fit yogurt smoothies? The ingredients look okay to me, they taste yummy and I havent reacted to them at all. The Dannon website has a sort of "CYA" kinda of attittude about the product...just wondering!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cchhrriiss

cchhrriiss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

I called Dannon, and they said, only their plain yogurt was gluten free. I stick with Yoplait!

#3 Cynbd

Cynbd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

Does anyone eat Dannon light and fit yogurt smoothies? The ingredients look okay to me, they taste yummy and I havent reacted to them at all. The Dannon website has a sort of "CYA" kinda of attittude about the product...just wondering!!

I contacted them in December about their Activia -- and here is their response:

Dannon yogurt products are characterized as either gluten safe or not gluten safe.
Our Dannon Plain Lowfat, Plain Nonfat and Plain Natural are all gluten safe. Plain DanActive (formerly called Original DanActive) is also gluten safe.

All other Dannon yogurts and yogurt drinks cannot be designated as gluten safe because the natural flavor systems used might have ingredients added to stabilize the flavor that may be derived from gluten sources. These products are not specifically formulated to contain gluten (except for the Light & Fit Crave Control yogurt noted below) but we cannot guarantee that the alcohol portion of the natural flavor system is always derived from corn and not from wheat, oats, rye and barley. We recommend you consult your allergist on the incidence of gluten proteins in ethanol derived from grains.

Additionally, we now produce Light & Fit Crave Control yogurt, a product which contains wheat. In fact you will find that we have labeled both the overwrap and foil of these products with the following: "Contains milk and wheat."
Cindy

Gluten Free since November 2006
Lactose Intolerant since 1980
100% Lactose Free since May 2006
Caffeine Free since August 2007
Hashimoto's Disease

#4 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Dear mandasmom,
I know that only Dannon's plain yogurts are safe. No others are. That explains why I always got so sick from them! Yoplait is safe for the most part, because they clearly label gluten if it is present. My favorite is the Whips in Coffee Latte! Also, they are kosher as far as I know!
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#5 cfore

cfore

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

:angry: DANNON YOGURT IS NOT GLUTEN-FREE!!!!!!!! Just a subtle warning. This is one of those cases where reading the label isn't enough. The natural flavors clause in their case often includes gluten containing "stabilizers" in their fruit on the bottom varieties. Please note ONLY THE LOW-FAT and WHOLE MILK PLAIN ARE GLUTEN-FREE. Subtle...I know, but effective. Unfortunately I was gluten'ed half to death while on vacation. I wasn't sure what is was, so I increased my yogurt and fruit consumption. WHAM...worsening symptoms. After contacting Dannon, they indicated only the plain varities are "gluten-safe". Ouch! Took me a week to recover fully.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you haven't already, get the CSA book. We lovingly call it the big-book-of-everything in our house. A real lifesaver (and NO, I don't have any affiliation with the CSA).

Cfore MD

#6 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Dear mandasmom,
I know that only Dannon's plain yogurts are safe. No others are. That explains why I always got so sick from them! Yoplait is safe for the most part, because they clearly label gluten if it is present. My favorite is the Whips in Coffee Latte! Also, they are kosher as far as I know!
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl

That's good to know!! I thought only Brown Cow was gluten-free and that brand is hard to find in my area. Before going gluten-free, I loved the Yoplait whips!! Yippee!! I can have some yogurt now!!

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: