Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Looking For Support Group In Lynchbug, Va.

16 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Well life to a major turn here, and we no longer live in a big bustling city (Nashville) we now live in Lynchburg, Virginia. There are no Wholefoods, no Trader Joes, No Wild oats.. and I have not found Celiac group here yet. Hoping the large audience of this board can help me find one. I am hopping that a local group could help us track down some gluten-free food here.

So any suggestions? HELP :) Thanks!

(ps despite all the rumors, I was not run off, email me if you want the real story as last time I posted it was deleted by mods)

Ads by Google:

Welcome back stranger! :) Lynchburg is a nice city. I am sure smaller than Nashville. I have family surrounding you but not in Lynchburg. It's my drive through to Roanoke.

Lovegrove is about 30-40 minutes away, perhaps he can be of help.

Again, welcome back Vincent.

Lisa

Hi all!

Well life to a major turn here, and we no longer live in a big bustling city (Nashville) we now live in Lynchburg, Virginia. There are no Wholefoods, no Trader Joes, No Wild oats.. and I have not found Celiac group here yet. Hoping the large audience of this board can help me find one. I am hopping that a local group could help us track down some gluten-free food here.

So any suggestions? HELP :) Thanks!

(ps despite all the rumors, I was not run off, email me if you want the real story as last time I posted it was deleted by mods)

I hope you can find some food sources near you soon. By the way, the mods can't delete any posts, only Scott can do that.

Do you have a bulk-food store or a health food store near you? If they don't have any gluten-free foods, you can always ask them if they could get some in. I did that, and now several more places in my little town carry gluten-free foods. When then I suggested that the new bulk food store should put a sign in their window to advertise the fact they have gluten-free foods (they even have Kinnikinnik doughnuts now, because I suggested that), because no celiacs in town knew they didn't have to drive to the next town any more, business started booming!

Hey, Vincent, good to see you back. I can't help about Virginia, but as noted, Richard Lovegrove (lovegrov) is in your new neighborhood and may be able to help. Check your email.

I hope you can find some food sources near you soon.

Do you have a bulk-food store or a health food store near you? If they don't have any gluten-free foods, you can always ask them if they could get some in. I did that, and now several more places in my little town carry gluten-free foods. When then I suggested that the new bulk food store should put a sign in their window to advertise the fact they have gluten-free foods (they even have Kinnikinnik doughnuts now, because I suggested that), because no celiacs in town knew they didn't have to drive to the next town any more, business started booming!

Just Sam's that I know of, but I have not been there yet. We actually live in Altavista, which is 25-30mins from Lynchburg, and MUCH smaller. Since I work in Lynchburg, and well most of the shopping is there, I figure if there is to be a group near by, that would be where it would be found.

Lynchburg is a nice city. I am sure smaller than Nashville. I have family surrounding you but not in Lynchburg. It's my drive through to Roanoke.

Lovegrove is about 30-40 minutes away, perhaps he can be of help.

Lisa

Lynchburg is tiny compared to Nashville. :D

Oh my gosh!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me :D

You're back! It's about time!

Hope you get lots of local info--can't help you there, but I just wanted to welcome you back. :)

Not looking promising in this thread :(

Hope you're back to stay Vincent! You've been missed.

I can't help you with Virginia though. :(

Vincent - contacts...

Tina Penick, Roanoke 540-422-1170

celiac.kids_liason ......................... threnich@hotmail.com

Debra Kemper, Salem, VA

540-389-6010

djkemper@adelphia.net

Contact that you can go from there.

Vincent - contacts...

Tina Penick, Roanoke 540-422-1170

celiac.kids_liason ......................... threnich@hotmail.com

Debra Kemper, Salem, VA

540-389-6010

djkemper@adelphia.net

Contact that you can go from there.

Roanoke is over an hour drive, and Salem is even further.... I guess I could see if they know anyone.

I live in Roanoke and I'm virtually certain there's no group in Lynchburg. The closest to Altavista that I know of is Charlottesville at U.Va. There's also no group in Roanoke.

Kroger might have a few gluten-free foods, but not many. Roanoke and Charlottesville both have stores that sell gluten-free foods but if Lynchburg does, I don't know where it is. Wish I had better news for you.

On the positive side, the national GIG conference is in Richmond in June.

richard

Thanks Lovegrov,

Kroger does, but the selection in TN was better then here for some reason. I guess I will have to find a good online store. :(

Good to have you back, Vincent, I hope you're here to stay!

Any luck finding stores in Lynchburg, VA? My son will be returning to school there after taking a semester off to get his health straightened out.

Any luck finding stores in Lynchburg, VA? My son will be returning to school there after taking a semester off to get his health straightened out.

Somebody might know more than I about Lynchburg, but in most places both Kroger and Walmart have added more gluten-free foods since this thread started four years ago. Also check out any organic places. A gluten-free store near Forest, Earth Munchies, didn't make it and closed in July. Close to there on U.S. 221, there's a place that has gluten-free pizza but I don't remember the name.

richard