#1 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hi Everyone,
My cubie mate at work and I are gum addicts and in the hospital cafeteria they sell Dentyne flavors, we usually stick with that. At the store the other day I saw some neat Trident flavors, so I picked up this watermelon flavor and then original bubble gum flavor.
Well on Tuesday after a long afternoon at work, I got crampy at about 4:10...I hung on until 4:30, On the way home I didn't know what was going to happen, throw up or the "D". Well, I almost did not make it to the bathroom. I didn't have anything for lunch that was bad. No afternoon snacks. I had gotten my monthly friend that evening (the first since my IVF surgery so the 1st is the most uncomfortable) I brushed my sick spell off as that.
Today after lunch, I am chewing the gum and got the feeling again...gassy and crampy. At once I spit the gum out, and I put two and two together. The gum was the last thing I had on Tues. So I once again look at the ingredients. Nothing looks bad, gluten wise. I did see something strange Phenylalanine. Now I usually always chewed bubble gum but with the braces, I am into the
"dental gum" Anyway...I do a google search for Phenylalanine and see it is a chemical that causes all sorts of side effects. I never paid attention to things like this before.

My questions to you guys, cause I probably look so dumb right now, is do you guys have any problems with this gum? If you do chew gum what do you usually buy?
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

Phenylalanine is a component in some artificial sweetners, including Aspartame (Nutrasweet). In some people it can cause a reaction similar to what you describe. It is not a source of gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

as psawyer said, phenylalinine has nothing to do with gluten, it just indicates that aspartame is in the product... all sugar free products will have some type of substitute whether it's aspartame, sucralose, xylitol, etc.

do you drink diet soda or crystal light? if you do, they likely have aspartame as well and if you don't have a similar reaction to them then I'm not sure that the aspartame in the gum is necessarily linked to the reactions you've had recently... with that being said, I would avoid aspartame and sucralose (splenda) anyway as they are dangerous additives... a friend's wife who has no food allergies had her headaches go away after she stopped drinking crystal light... after learning about aspartame, I actually removed it from my diet prior to going gluten-free...

if you're going to chew a sugar-free gum, I'd pick one without sucralose or aspartame... only gum I've had for a while is glee gum, which has sugar... many sugar free gums have soy lecithin, which I can't have but you should be able to find sugar-free ones that are better alternatives to the gums with aspartame and sucralose
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

#4 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

Thanks guys,
I really did not think it was a gluten thing, my gluten reactions are actually different than what happened the other day,
I actually don't drink diet drinks or crystal light. I am an iced tea person, and when it is soda it is either Coke or 7-up.
It wasn't that I choose a sugar free gum for that reason, the flavor looked good so I picked it up. I am not exactly a sugar conscience person :)
Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Posted Image

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

you'll find few gums that aren't sugar free, unfortunately. :(
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:54 AM

you'll find few gums that aren't sugar free, unfortunately. :(

I am not really a big sugar free person anyway.

Posted Image

#7 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:58 AM

Phenylalanine doesn't give me a problem. It's in lots of things. I'd venture to guess that you've probably had it before and not even known it. Every once in a while I get a nauseous spell like that for no reason. Generally around that time of the month. Maybe that's what happened to you. Though, if you think you may be sensitive to it, I would steer clear until you have a day to try something else and see if that's what caused your reaction. I hope you're feeling much better now.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#8 stillframe

stillframe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

hi.
i was wondering if, having celiac, i could have splenda/sucralose. i have heard mixed things.

thanks so much.

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

hi.
i was wondering if, having celiac, i could have splenda/sucralose. i have heard mixed things.

thanks so much.

Splenda is gluten-free :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

I have got to update you guys on this. I gave all the gum to my coworker, I just don't feel like chewing that anymore. I picked up some packs of Bubble Yum and gave all the trident to my buddy. So yesterday afternoon she had opened a piece and within 15 minutes said...Amanda oh my gosh you're right. She dashed down the hall to the bathroom. When she returned she told me she barely had any warning and all of a sudden the "D" hit.
I saw her throw the gum in the trash. Isn't it strange.

Posted Image

#11 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

Another ingredient gums nearly always have is Sorbitol which can cause the dreaded 'd' (coeliac or otherwise) :unsure:
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#12 stillframe

stillframe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

could some one tell me which sugar substitutes have gluten and which ones do not? there seems to be discrepancies. i would really appreciate it

#13 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:41 PM

could some one tell me which sugar substitutes have gluten and which ones do not? there seems to be discrepancies. i would really appreciate it

Dear stillframe,
I use Splenda, and Sweet'n Low. They are safe. As long as you are not in Canada, maltodextrin is derived from corn. In the U.S. we are okay with those. It can get confusing. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#14 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

Dear stillframe,
I use Splenda, and Sweet'n Low. They are safe. As long as you are not in Canada, maltodextrin is derived from corn. In the U.S. we are okay with those. It can get confusing. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl

I just have to tell you. ABSOLUTELY those sugar-free gums with sorbitol or aspartame cause those hideous symptoms! WAY before I went gluten-free I figured that out and I am not surprised to hear this has happened to you and your co-worker. I wouldn't touch any of those sugar-free products with a ten-foot pole. Just one of those little tiny mints with that in it will get me. So sorry you're sick and hope you find a good old sugary gum soon!

lisa

#15 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:03 AM

Lisa-
I picked up some good ole Bubble Yum classic. So we have been blowing huge bubbles and popping them at work...Bubble Yum at least doesn't have us running for the bathroom :)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: