This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weirddd Cravings

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

I have the weirdest cravings today, just completely RANDOMLY too! I didnt even see anyone eatin/drinkin them. But I suddenly wanted pop(specifically Coke), pizza, and marble cake w/chocolate icin. :lol::blink:

I took care of the first 2, and when i get home tomorrow I'll make sure I take my cake mix and some chocolate chips with me and make the cake lol.

Dont u guy get annoyed with the random cravings too, and feel like if u dont satisfy them u'll go even crazier? :P

~ Lisa ~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Byte Me Apprentice

I definitely get weird cravings... the weirdest has to be when I want canned tomatoes with a bunch of vinegar dumped in. I think about it obsessively until I finally eat it! :ph34r:

NoGluGirl Contributor
I definitely get weird cravings... the weirdest has to be when I want canned tomatoes with a bunch of vinegar dumped in. I think about it obsessively until I finally eat it! :ph34r:

Dear Byte Me and Num1Habsfan,

I get some odd cravings myself. One of my favorites is Cocoa Pebbles and Peanut Butter! They are good together! I just ate those earlier! I have got to make me some Chinese food before I go nuts! I have not had it in six months, which is my lifeblood practically!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

num1habsfan Rising Star
I think about it obsessively until I finally eat it! :ph34r:

Yes, exactly! Now my craving for pizza is gone, but I still want to drink more Coke, and still want that cake so desperately. I'm DEFINITELY baking as soon as I get home tonight!! Maybe I'll take a picture to show you all how it turns out :lol:

~ lisa ~

Lisa Mentor

It is odd to me to respond to Byte Me B) , but, yes...I often crave tomatoes.

When I do:

2 cans of Hunts tomatoes with Basil and Garlic

Add some slices Mario's green olives

Chopped up onions if you prefer.......and bake until almost liquid is gone.

It's great with grilled chicken breasts or pan fried.

Kyalesyin Apprentice

My wife gets cravings for chocolate [usually something really sickly like a mars bar] with salty chips. She tends to eat them together, although I think its more a hormone thing than anything else.

NoGluGirl Contributor
My wife gets cravings for chocolate [usually something really sickly like a mars bar] with salty chips. She tends to eat them together, although I think its more a hormone thing than anything else.

Dear Kyalesyin,

I think it is a hormone thing, too. I crave chocolate all the time. My hormones are messed up. They have been for as long as I can remember! Salty and sweet are the two most common cravings that are hormonally related for women. However, someone told me a deficiency in Magnesium causes intense chocolate craving. I found that interesting.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kyalesyin Apprentice
Dear Kyalesyin,

I think it is a hormone thing, too. I crave chocolate all the time. My hormones are messed up. They have been for as long as I can remember! Salty and sweet are the two most common cravings that are hormonally related for women. However, someone told me a deficiency in Magnesium causes intense chocolate craving. I found that interesting.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I'm glad its not just us! I'm always baffled when she's eating salt and chocolate! Although I must admit, extra dark chocolate, red wine and grapes... not a weird craving set, but a very satisfying one...

jerseyangel Proficient

I've always loved chocolate with salty chips! :D

Kyalesyin Apprentice

You're all weird!

I'm gonna go have me some creamed garlic on crackers now. This thread has gone made me hungry.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear jerseyangel,

At The Chocolate Emporium, they have chocolate dipped potato chips! You know what I miss that is the perfect thing to satisfy a craving for sweet and salty? Chocolate covered pretzals! I need to get some Glutino pretzals to melt some chocolate over them. That would be so good!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks, NoGluGirl :)

I'll have to check them out again, I have seen their website before.

You're very sweet--and yes! Do get some Glutino pretzels, melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips and dip them. Let them dry and dip them again ;)

num1habsfan Rising Star

I made the cake, put it into 2 pans so I got 2 cakes out of it lol. El-Peto (if i'm spelling that right?) makes the best marble cake mix. And I melted some lactose free/gluten free chocolate chips with butter on the stove and poured that over the cakes. They are YUM ;)

~ lisa ~

Nantzie Collaborator

You guys are making me SOOO freaking hungry. I'm totally hormonal right now and if I eat something sweet, it makes me crave something salty, which makes me crave something chocolate which makes me crave something salty, then sweet. In the last hour or so I've had chocolate, cheetos and red wine. Yea, I think that qualifies as weird. :lol:

NoGluGirl - I've been trying a few Chinese food recipes and it's not as complicated as you'd expect. If you think about it, and think about the traditional Chinese mom making dinner for her family, it's just another form of country cooking.

Here's my absolute favorite so far - Just make sure you substitute the regular sugar for dark brown sugar - it gives a richer flavor, and adjust the vinegar vs sugar until you get that perfect balance. It should be sweet at first, then it should knock you flat on your butt. The first time I made it my husband at first said "it's kind of on the sweet side". Then he started coughing when the chili flakes kicked in. :D :D :D

Chicken Vicious - Open Original Shared Link

Kyalesyin - Your wife would LOVE "Kettle Corn". It's popcorn with white sugar and salt. It satisfies three cravings at once - Crunchy, salty and sweet. I've never tried drizzling melted chocolate over it before but it sounds pretty good right now.

There are some microwave popcorn companies that make Kettle Corn, but they use corn syrup instead of regular white sugar, which is not even close to the same. Pretty gross actually.

Here's a good recipe for it - Open Original Shared Link

This review seems to have a good description of the method. Make sure to add salt, which isn't in the original recipe for some reason -

"SUCCESS!!! The other reviewers aren't kidding, this kettle corn tastes just like the stuff at the fair. Here are some tips... I used a wide and heavy bottom stainless steel pan with high sides. Be sure to use the 3 kernel test (Preheat your pan with medium-high heat, add all of the oil along with 3 kernels of popcorn. When the 3 kernels pop, the oil is ready!). Once the oil is ready, add the rest of the popcorn and quickly sprinkle the sugar on top. Place a lid on the pan. Alternate, in three second intervals, between leaving the pan on the stove top and lifting and shaking the pot. Once the popping has slowed, remove from the stove top and immediately sprinkle with salt. Let it cool a little and try not to eat the whole batch!"

I'm sure there's a way to do this with microwave popcorn, but haven't experimented with that yet. I'd bet if you shook on sugar and a little bit of salt while it was still hot it would turn out just fine.

Lisa - I've never heard of that company. Is there a website? I haven't had marble cake in ages.

:D

Nancy

num1habsfan Rising Star
Lisa - I've never heard of that company. Is there a website? I haven't had marble cake in ages.

:D

Yup, there sure is a web-site!! www.elpeto.com I'm not quite sure if they ship to the U.S. or not?? But check it out :) They are who I buy all my Tinkyada noodles from, in bulk!

~ lisa ~

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thanks, NoGluGirl :)

I'll have to check them out again, I have seen their website before.

You're very sweet--and yes! Do get some Glutino pretzels, melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips and dip them. Let them dry and dip them again ;)

Dear jerseyangel,

Thank you for the compliments! Yeah, I think using a fork to dip those pretzals would help do the trick. You know what would be really good? Double-dipped chocolate pretzals! Take them and dipping the in milk chocolate then letting it set, then dip it in white! Oh that would be great!

Dear Lisa,

I will check that site out. El Peto sounds like a good place to go to. The Chocolate Emporium is closer to where I live, most likely though. They do have a minimum order policy, but considering how much some of these other mixes are, it is worth doing. It is also still less expensive.

Dear Nantzie,

I have found easy to rework most traditional Chinese recipes. Some are quite simple, like Porcelain Tea Eggs. You take eggs and hard boil them in black tea and soy sauce, and maybe a bit of sherry. Then you baste them with a bit of sesame oil before eating them. The hard part was finding a safe sherry actually. It turns out, Wal-Mart has one called Holland House that is labeled gluten free. The thing is, it is near the vinegars, so it is easy to miss because it is not where you expect it to be.

I have a bunch of Chinese cookbooks, and many recipes only require a little tweaking here and there.

I would like to know if Swanson chicken stock is safe. I know the one I called on is, but do not know about the others. Making stock yourself can be very time-consuming. By the way, I took that recipe and put it in my files! I have a gluten free foods file in Word. That way, things are found easily. I am glad that recipe is also low in fat. Since I had my gallbladder out several years ago, I need to be careful.

Also, regarding the Kettle Corn, I got that recipe now too! Speaking of, I am determined to find a way to recreate Boy Scout's low-fat chocolate caramel crunch. They had popcorn that was coated in caramel, then in chocolate! It was delicious! It should not be too difficult!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived