This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lachoy Soy Sauce Question!

Electra

Electra Enthusiast

I know that the Caramel Color is in question but I called their 1-800 number and they claim to list all ingredients for allergies on their list. The only thing is that they do not list gluten as one of their allergens (they do list wheat though). They also list all allergies in bold letters at the end of the label and it only says CONTAINS SOY!! My question is has anyone here used LaChoy Soy Sauce and if so do you belive it is safe? My only concern is that the Caramel color has Malt in it which may not be listed. Does anyone trust LaChoy? Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to give!!

LaChoy is the only Soy Sauce that I've been able to find that does not contain Wheat!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

La Choy is gluten free.

San J is also gluten free.

I believe one of the Kroger (generic store brand) is gluten free.

JerryK Community Regular

Se, Jerry uses La Choy. Both their Soy Sauce and Teryaki Sauce are gluten-free. No side effects here.

StrongerToday Enthusiast
Se, Jerry uses La Choy. Both their Soy Sauce and Teryaki Sauce are gluten-free. No side effects here.

I use LaChoy or San-J wheat free tamari... read the labels, San J makes several sauces and only the one is gluten-free.

Electra Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I've been having some strange constant aching in my right side and LaChoy soy sauce is one of the things that I have been eating that is different then normal. I also have been eating cadburry caramel eggs and those could be the culprit. The other possibility is that I have another cyst on my ovary. I used to be able to tell when I had a cyst on my ovary, but my celiac pains have gotten so bad in the past few years that I have been unable to tell for a while. I'm almost positive this is cyst on the ovary pain UG!! If so then it should be subsiding soon!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yep, regular La Choy, without any mention of wheat, is gluten-free. I also think it tastes nasty, and use San-J's wheat free tamari (reduced sodium) or Bragg's amino acids. :P

larry mac Enthusiast

May I suggest Eden Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, it's quite tasty! I've always been pretty particular about soy sauce, Kikkomans my brand (ex). The few unfortunate times I got cheap and tried something such as Kroger brand, I quickly returned it for a refund.

Is the Edens gluten-free? You tell me. Here's the ingredients:

~ water

~ organic soybeans

~ sea salt

~ alcohol (to preserve freshness)

~ Koji

Organic Tamari

"Eden Tamari is the type of soy sauce that is characterized as Wheat Free. It's fermented more quickly than traditional tamari. Koji inoculated soybeans are aged for six months in this accelerated brewing process. Tamari was originally the by-product of miso making. Today it is mash brewed. Tamari imparts a stronger more pronounced flavor like that of miso. Compare it to some Eden Shoyu, is our request."

"Meticulous tracking and audited records guarantee the purity of this food from the farm to your table."

Eden Foods Inc. Clinton, Michigan.

OK, so there you go. It's expensive. I think I got it at Central Market or Whole Foods. I have no idea what Koji, miso, or Shoyu are. Nor had I ever even heard of Tamari prior to looking at this bottle.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast
I use LaChoy or San-J wheat free tamari... read the labels, San J makes several sauces and only the one is gluten-free.

ST,

Your so right. I was just at the grocery store and saw a San-J Tamari Soy Sauce that had wheat listed. In fact, not one soy sauce or terriaki product at Albertsons was wheat free. And they had a huge selection. Ya gotta be real careful.

best regards, lm

Tritty Rookie

LaChoy's sweet and sour sauce is gluten-free too - one of the only ones I've seen so far...

Electra Enthusiast
LaChoy's sweet and sour sauce is gluten-free too - one of the only ones I've seen so far...

Yah I have their sweet and sour sauce too and it's yummy. I love their Soy Sauce, but their Teriaki sauce is terrible (in my opinion)!! LaChoy is the only brand I can find in any of my local supermarkets that is gluten free.

Archived