This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Birthday

TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I really really really dislike my brother and his wife. My one day, my birthday, that we are celebrating at my moms on Sunday, we have corned beef, cabbage, all the St Pattys Day goodies.. I email her and ask her what she is bringing as I am trying to eliminate all crumby things... you know what she picks?? BROWNIES!!! duh.

Now I am all upset. Its my one day. ONE lousy day... and they cant do it for me. I feel like I am going to cry. Today is my birthday and I am spending it crying. I am tired of no one getting it. NO CRUMBS !!! I just want to yell it at her. They dont get it.

If she or someone in her household had celiacs, let me tell you, no gluten would be allowed in in any form for any reason. I am so tired of this.

Thanks for reading my short vent... now I am off to cry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I really really really dislike my brother and his wife. My one day, my birthday, that we are celebrating at my moms on Sunday, we have corned beef, cabbage, all the St Pattys Day goodies.. I email her and ask her what she is bringing as I am trying to eliminate all crumby things... you know what she picks?? BROWNIES!!! duh.

Now I am all upset. Its my one day. ONE lousy day... and they cant do it for me. I feel like I am going to cry. Today is my birthday and I am spending it crying. I am tired of no one getting it. NO CRUMBS !!! I just want to yell it at her. They dont get it.

If she or someone in her household had celiacs, let me tell you, no gluten would be allowed in in any form for any reason. I am so tired of this.

Thanks for reading my short vent... now I am off to cry

Make some gluten free pantry chocolate truffle brownies, e-mail her back and say you already have the brownies covered. Tell her not to worry about bringing anything. Or don't give her the option to "choose" what to bring.......say Please bring ________(veggie tray,lays chips). Don't give her choices that will end up driving you nuts! :) Make it easier on yourself.

Happy Birthday and stop crying!! Nobody should do that on their b-day :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Jessica has an excellent suggestion. The GFP brownies are not much trouble to make, and you can then tell her where she can stick hers. (Or words to that effect :ph34r: )

I hate to hear that you're so upset on your special day :( . I say--do not let someone else's thoughtlessness ruin your day. Don't give her that power. We can't change people, but we can change the way we react to them!! ;)

I hope your day just gets better and better :D

Happy Birthday :)

mandasmom Rookie
Make some gluten free pantry chocolate truffle brownies, e-mail her back and say you already have the brownies covered. Tell her not to worry about bringing anything. Or don't give her the option to "choose" what to bring.......say Please bring ________(veggie tray,lays chips). Don't give her choices that will end up driving you nuts! :) Make it easier on yourself.

Happy Birthday and stop crying!! Nobody should do that on their b-day :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Im not sure that it is realistic to expect all fmaily memeber to "get it"...as celiacs we are always faced with a gluten filled world..we need to fuction in it inorder to reach our fullest potential as human bings and that means learning to live with people and their crumbs. Its never thoughtful for her to bring brownies to your birthday dinner--a fruit salad would have been nicer but we cant legislate niceness..I learned a long time ago that cleiac disese is my problem and as an adult I will need to get over it and manage my risk factors as best I can..I am always puzzled by folks who seem determined to yell out loud about their celiac. Id much rather eat before I go and be noticed for being something else..just my opinion and the one that I share over and over again with my celiac daughter.

I dont expect all of my family members to get it, my mom, dad and brother. I dont think its too much to ask to not bring anything made with flour over on my birthday. let me be safe for one day. Its not too much to ask. I would never expect them to do this for me at their house..

but whatever...

Thank you all for the well wishes. I am starting to feel better. I emailed my sister in law that brownies fall into the crumby category. She emailed my mom back, not me, probably mad at me, that she wont bring anything then. Oh well.

I then emailed her again, being nice and said thank you, it means a lot to me that you would change your mind for me. I told her I know she doesnt understand as she doesnt live with it everyday, but I appreciate the one day a year.. so the day is getting better.

thanks!

ohhhh, PS, Hubby is bringing home filet mignon and crab legs for dinner! since the weather is too nasty to go to the Bonefish Grill. Now our reservations are for tomorrow nite!! YAY! I love surf and turf :D

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Don't let her get you upset. I would take the advice about what others said. It's your day and I wouldn't let anyone ruin it for you. I know how you feel though..somtimes my in laws want to go out for chinese food, you kow the stuff we CAN"T have, but I just go with the flow of things. If I know that we are going somewhere I can't eat, I will just eat at home. Please don't let others get you down, especially on your BIG day! Take care and smile :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laurelfla Enthusiast

Happy, Happy Birthday!

And, as it is your day, if you wanted to have a small pity party and then move on, that is also an option. No one can tell you how to manage your own glutenfreeness! I understand what you are saying totally. It is hard enough to deal with "crumby" foods on any day, let alone when you are Queen for the Day!! so i say, enjoy your dinner tonight, and tomorrow night, and then after that, think of some nice, expensive gluten free treat that you know you will enjoy the snot out of and then go buy it and eat it! :D

MistressIsis Apprentice

wait a minute, are you saying they're bring gluten food into your home?? That's just mean and you have every right to ask them not to! Especially on your birthday!

Maybe if you give her the name of a gluten-free mix she can make instead of "normal" ones...Bob's Red Mill actually has a fantastic brownie mix as well as choc. cake mix...and noone will ever know the difference!

oh no, she brings it into my mothers house, after my mom cleans and scrubs the place down for less contamination problems. She usually brings Wheat Thins and Triscuits. you know, all the blatant food. Everyone else in my family goes out of their way to make sure no gluten food is there, and no one will stand up to her and my brother and just tell them no.

My mom doesnt want to hurt their feelings as they have her grandchildren too and they would be mean enough not to let my mom see the girls. Thats the way they are. Well, I am getting tired of tippy toeing around them. If it was them or their kids, they would be sooo put out if we all didnt abide by the gluten free rules, but since its me and my son... it doesnt matter.

I am just tired of tippy toeing around them. and when I stand up for myself, my mom somehow works into there to make me feel guilty, I know no one can make me feel guilty, I control it myself, but it hurts me to see my mom get hurt b/c of me. Its a long on going family history.. and its just getting ridiculous. My dad tells me when I am emotionally well enough he will tell me what my brothers problem is with me... until then I just have to live with the fact that my brother doesnt really like me.

oh well... on to happier things.. thanks again everyone!

Archived