15 replies to this topic

#1 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. Last week I had bad pain that I thought was gall bladder pain...NOT. The pain was sudden, something I've never had before.

Doctor said I have "several" angiolipomas on my liver and kidney! OMG, I'm worried. (Lipoma is spelled lypoma in Europe.) Lipomas are fatty lumps, bumps and tumors.

Anyway, while surfing a lipoma site (some people have 200 or more of these lumps, it's a nasty disease too) I found two references to gluten-free diets and celiac. These two people mentioned that following a gluten-free diet or a Paleo diet got rid of their lipomas. It's a metabolic disease so now I'm thinking that there is some connection.

I was somewhat depressed with my celiac disease diagnosis but lipomas are really an "orphan disease" and there is NO help, unlike the "easy" gluten-free fix for celiac disease.

If anyone has any information, please help.

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. Last week I had bad pain that I thought was gall bladder pain...NOT. The pain was sudden, something I've never had before.

Doctor said I have "several" angiolipomas on my liver and kidney! OMG, I'm worried. (Lipoma is spelled lypoma in Europe.) Lipomas are fatty lumps, bumps and tumors.

Anyway, while surfing a lipoma site (some people have 200 or more of these lumps, it's a nasty disease too) I found two references to gluten-free diets and celiac. These two people mentioned that following a gluten-free diet or a Paleo diet got rid of their lipomas. It's a metabolic disease so now I'm thinking that there is some connection.

I was somewhat depressed with my celiac disease diagnosis but lipomas are really an "orphan disease" and there is NO help, unlike the "easy" gluten-free fix for celiac disease.

~Laura

Anyone? Ideas? Thanks!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#3 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

my husband has a ton of lipomas on his legs. he recently had several large ones removed. where is the info about lipomas being caused by a metabolic disease? or is that only internal ones?
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#4 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:18 PM

my husband has a ton of lipomas on his legs. he recently had several large ones removed. where is the info about lipomas being caused by a metabolic disease? or is that only internal ones?

There isn't much info on lipomas, but I got that from the lipomaforum.com

Chrissy, does your husband have celiac disease?

#5 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

no, my husband doesn't have celiac----we don't know yet which one of us carries the gene, either.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#6 jacqui

jacqui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

~Laura

I had no idea. I just thought it was from eating poorly - too much fats or something.

I just had a lipoma removed from each flank. They thought possible cancer so they removed them, but they are benign. So I haven't thought about them since. I guess I'll do a little more research, when my brain feels like working. I have a lot of neuro prob's with celiac disease, so that is all I have been thinking about.

Jacqui
IBS 1994
Endometriosis
Hashimoto's auto immune disease
Diverticulosis
Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease
HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!
Insomnia
Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel
Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

#7 jacqui

jacqui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

~Laura

I did a search after and I found a doc forum who said the pt. who has TONS of lipomas needs a Derm. Surgeon to consult. Then I went to the site below and then I came back here with the address before I forgot, so I haven't really checked it out, but it looked good.
www.dermnetnz.org agiolipomas or Dercum (sp?) disease.

Jacqui
IBS 1994
Endometriosis
Hashimoto's auto immune disease
Diverticulosis
Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease
HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!
Insomnia
Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel
Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

#8 Guest_maybe I have celiac_*

Guest_maybe I have celiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

~Laura

Interesting, I have like 4 of them. Hopefully gluten free will get rid of them.

#9 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

Give the paleo diet a try. It is a very healthy diet and certainly can't hurt. It does seem to help lots of people with autoimmune diseases.

#10 Ryniev

Ryniev

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

Well, I've been battling lipomas for about 17 years (I have multiple familial lipomatis (sp?)) and am definately gluten intolerent. A gluten free diet has done wonders for me (eliminated years of diarrhea, gas, bloating, stomach cramps that have ended up in the emergency room, life long eczema as well a painful periods). I doubt they will make my lipomas go away but it would be interesting if it kept me from getting more (I've had 9 or 10 removed and have about 20 more that I know of).

#11 salamander

salamander

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

Hi,
I have around 200 lipomas which have developed over the last 20 years or so. most are tiny and only I know they are there, but I have 5 or 6 that probably will need removing soon. I have had some removed, but most don't bother me.
I'm convinced that these is a genetic link between my celiacs and my lipomas.
Toitu he whenua, whatungarongaro he tangata

The land is permanent, man disappears

#12 jnett777

jnett777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:37 AM

Please contact me. I have the exact same problem. I sure hope you are still out there...

Jeannette

#13 salamander

salamander

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Please contact me. I have the exact same problem. I sure hope you are still out there...

Jeannette

Hi Jeanette,
I haven't visited this site for a while! I've been trying to research my condition and experimenting with the paleo diet. I can't say that my new diet has cured my lipomas, they don't seem to have got too much worse than they were a couple of years ago. My coeliacs and all the other associated problems (headaches, feeling run down, joint aches) is certainly better on my new diet.
As for the lipomas, I'm just plucking up courage to go through the surgery route again and get some removed from my chest and stomach. Those are a little bit bothersome, but also I'm getting fed up with people asking if I have an hernia when I go swimming!
Toitu he whenua, whatungarongaro he tangata

The land is permanent, man disappears

#14 DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

There really is no cure for lipomas minus surgery. I have about 10 of them. Really all they are is bunched up fat cells.

#15 SaraKat

SaraKat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

I have quite a few lipomas- mainly on my left arm and left leg- I've had a couple removed for vanity reasons. I just tested positive for celiac last week, waiting on endoscopy for final confirmation.
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: