Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Lipoma Or Angiolipomas? Or Lypomas?

16 posts in this topic

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. Last week I had bad pain that I thought was gall bladder pain...NOT. The pain was sudden, something I've never had before.

Doctor said I have "several" angiolipomas on my liver and kidney! OMG, I'm worried. (Lipoma is spelled lypoma in Europe.) Lipomas are fatty lumps, bumps and tumors.

Anyway, while surfing a lipoma site (some people have 200 or more of these lumps, it's a nasty disease too) I found two references to gluten-free diets and celiac. These two people mentioned that following a gluten-free diet or a Paleo diet got rid of their lipomas. It's a metabolic disease so now I'm thinking that there is some connection.

I was somewhat depressed with my celiac disease diagnosis but lipomas are really an "orphan disease" and there is NO help, unlike the "easy" gluten-free fix for celiac disease.

If anyone has any information, please help.

~Laura

Ads by Google:
I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. Last week I had bad pain that I thought was gall bladder pain...NOT. The pain was sudden, something I've never had before.

Doctor said I have "several" angiolipomas on my liver and kidney! OMG, I'm worried. (Lipoma is spelled lypoma in Europe.) Lipomas are fatty lumps, bumps and tumors.

Anyway, while surfing a lipoma site (some people have 200 or more of these lumps, it's a nasty disease too) I found two references to gluten-free diets and celiac. These two people mentioned that following a gluten-free diet or a Paleo diet got rid of their lipomas. It's a metabolic disease so now I'm thinking that there is some connection.

I was somewhat depressed with my celiac disease diagnosis but lipomas are really an "orphan disease" and there is NO help, unlike the "easy" gluten-free fix for celiac disease.

~Laura

Anyone? Ideas? Thanks!

my husband has a ton of lipomas on his legs. he recently had several large ones removed. where is the info about lipomas being caused by a metabolic disease? or is that only internal ones?

my husband has a ton of lipomas on his legs. he recently had several large ones removed. where is the info about lipomas being caused by a metabolic disease? or is that only internal ones?

There isn't much info on lipomas, but I got that from the lipomaforum.com

Chrissy, does your husband have celiac disease?

no, my husband doesn't have celiac----we don't know yet which one of us carries the gene, either.

~Laura

I had no idea. I just thought it was from eating poorly - too much fats or something.

I just had a lipoma removed from each flank. They thought possible cancer so they removed them, but they are benign. So I haven't thought about them since. I guess I'll do a little more research, when my brain feels like working. I have a lot of neuro prob's with celiac disease, so that is all I have been thinking about.

Jacqui

~Laura

I did a search after and I found a doc forum who said the pt. who has TONS of lipomas needs a Derm. Surgeon to consult. Then I went to the site below and then I came back here with the address before I forgot, so I haven't really checked it out, but it looked good.

www.dermnetnz.org agiolipomas or Dercum (sp?) disease.

Jacqui

~Laura

Interesting, I have like 4 of them. Hopefully gluten free will get rid of them.

Give the paleo diet a try. It is a very healthy diet and certainly can't hurt. It does seem to help lots of people with autoimmune diseases.

Well, I've been battling lipomas for about 17 years (I have multiple familial lipomatis (sp?)) and am definately gluten intolerent. A gluten free diet has done wonders for me (eliminated years of diarrhea, gas, bloating, stomach cramps that have ended up in the emergency room, life long eczema as well a painful periods). I doubt they will make my lipomas go away but it would be interesting if it kept me from getting more (I've had 9 or 10 removed and have about 20 more that I know of).

Hi,

I have around 200 lipomas which have developed over the last 20 years or so. most are tiny and only I know they are there, but I have 5 or 6 that probably will need removing soon. I have had some removed, but most don't bother me.

I'm convinced that these is a genetic link between my celiacs and my lipomas.

Please contact me. I have the exact same problem. I sure hope you are still out there...

Jeannette

Please contact me. I have the exact same problem. I sure hope you are still out there...

Jeannette

Hi Jeanette,

I haven't visited this site for a while! I've been trying to research my condition and experimenting with the paleo diet. I can't say that my new diet has cured my lipomas, they don't seem to have got too much worse than they were a couple of years ago. My coeliacs and all the other associated problems (headaches, feeling run down, joint aches) is certainly better on my new diet.

As for the lipomas, I'm just plucking up courage to go through the surgery route again and get some removed from my chest and stomach. Those are a little bit bothersome, but also I'm getting fed up with people asking if I have an hernia when I go swimming!

There really is no cure for lipomas minus surgery. I have about 10 of them. Really all they are is bunched up fat cells.

I have quite a few lipomas- mainly on my left arm and left leg- I've had a couple removed for vanity reasons. I just tested positive for celiac last week, waiting on endoscopy for final confirmation.

Those of you with many Lipomas have you been tested for Dercums Disease ?

Google it you will find some interesting information