30 replies to this topic

#16 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:40 PM

I too have social anxiety especially when it involves having to take food somewhere. My problems are better than a year ago and I am also on anti-anxiety medication but have weaned down from what I was taking last year. My worry is how I am going to feel after eating because even after a year I still get at times terrible gas pains in my abdomen that sitting is really uncomfortable and it is hard to be sociable when you are feeling miserable.

I tried the Natural Calm but it did not feel well after taking it and so stopped using it--I don't know if it was that or whether I was just getting too much magnesium since it is in my calcium supplement also.

Linda

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:41 PM

I too have social anxiety especially when it involves having to take food somewhere. My problems are better than a year ago and I am also on anti-anxiety medication but have weaned down from what I was taking last year. My worry is how I am going to feel after eating because even after a year I still get at times terrible gas pains in my abdomen that sitting is really uncomfortable and it is hard to be sociable when you are feeling miserable.

I tried the Natural Calm but it did not feel well after taking it and so stopped using it--I don't know if it was that or whether I was just getting too much magnesium since it is in my calcium supplement also.

Linda

#18 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:02 PM

Linda,

Did you get the runs? How did you feel? My Mom had to cut back to a tiny amount per dose but feels good on that (better than not taking it), of course everyone is different.

#19 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:31 PM

Lisa,

When I took the Natural Calm it caused pain and a general feeling of not feeling well. I have the opposite of most Celiacs, I was always constipated, but since going on this diet a year ago I am no longer having that problem.

Linda

#20 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:14 PM

Linda,

Hmmm <_< , I'm the constipated type too and it helped me so much, my Mom always had the runs and had the problem with not being able to take much at a time. The only thing I can say is that it is not ionic like the Trace Minerals Ionic Magnesium and then is not as absorbable, infact when a supplement is not from a source that would normally be consumed by humans it takes body energy to convert it (if it even can) to a usable form. So, you could be unusually sensative to that or you don't need magnesium or it is causing that reaction because of combination with the meds...

Here is a list of magnesium rich foods, maybe that is the way to go for many:

MAGNESIUM-RICH FOOD ITEMS

MAGNESIUM
FOOD ITEM SERVING (oz) CONTENT(mg)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peanuts, all types, roasted 1/2 cup 131
Tofu, raw, regular 1/2 cup 127
Peanuts, all types, raw 1/2 cup 123
Broccoli, cooked 2 large stalks 120
Spinach, cooked 1/2 cup 79
Chard, Swiss, cooked 1/2 cup 76
Soybeans, cooked 1/2 cup 74
Tomato paste, canned 1/2 cup 67
Simulated meat products, meat extender 1 ounce 61
Small white beans, cooked 1/2 cup 61
Sweet potato, canned, mashed 1/2 cup 61
Black beans, cooked 1/2 cup 60
Dock (sorrel), cooked 1/2 cup 60
Nuts & seeds, all types 1 ounce 60 avg. (9-152)
Pumpkin seeds 1 ounce 152
Chestnuts 1 ounce 9
Chili with beans, canned 1/2 cup 58
White beans, cooked 1/2 cup 57
Baked beans 1/2 cup 55
Navy beans, cooked 1/2 cup 53
Peanut butter 2 tablespoons 51
Beet greens, cooked 1/2 cup 49
Lima beans, baby, cooked 1/2 cup 49
Refried beans, canned 1/2 cup 49
Mung beans, cooked 1/2 cup 48
Artichoke, cooked 1 medium 47
Pinto beans, cooked 1/2 cup 47
Whole grain cereals, ready-to-eat 1 ounce 47 avg. (22-134)
Blackeyed peas, dried, cooked 1/2 cup 46
Okra, cooked 1/2 cup 46
Great Northern beans 1/2 cup 44
Squash, acorn, baked 1/2 cup cubes 43
Lima beans, large, cooked 1/2 cup 41
Kidney beans, all types, cooked 1/2 cup 40
Chickpeas, cooked 1/2 cup 39
Purslane, cooked 1/2 cup 39
Yogurt, low fat varieties 1 cup (8 oz.) 37
Broadbeans, cooked 1/2 cup 36
Split peas, cooked 1/2 cup 36
Lentils, cooked 1/2 cup 35
Milk, fluid, all types 1 cup (8 oz.) 35 avg. (28-40)

#21 midnightjewel40

midnightjewel40

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:38 PM

;) hi lisa b
from reading everyones messages i have come to the conclusion that everyone is differnt with celiac disease it effects us all in a different way i still find things i am having trouble with and i have been gluten free since 2002
still have the depression and shut myself away in my safe house where everything is great as i dont have any tempations from out side
love to hear everyones input though keepem coming
Jacque :blink:
Hope you have a great day
Jacque.
my 15 year old and i are both celiacs

#22 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:59 PM

Lisa B.

Thanks for the list--I am going to copy it. Some of the items I cannot eat, but other I can. Thanks again.

Linda B.

#23 shimma

shimma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:02 PM

Hi, I wanted to update anyone who was still interested in this topic.

When I wrote that first post, I had been unemployed for quite some time. I was dreading having to work because of all my anxiety and recurrent bowel problems. In fact, the thought of starting a job made me incredibly nervous. But I knew I needed to find a job because there was no guarantee that I would get better anytime soon.

Anyway, I just started a new job two weeks ago. My first week was really hard--I was constantly worried about having gas or the runs, and did have them pretty often. I was so sick that I thought I was going to have to quit for sure. Then I started reading this message board a little more intensively, and noticed that several people were recommending probiotics. Since my work is right across from a Whole Foods Market, on my lunch break one day I went over and browsed their supplement section. I can't remember the brand name of what I bought, but it's called Sensitive Colon Support. It combines probiotics with some other natural ingredients that are supposed to soothe irritated bowels. I took it that night, and felt so great the next day--better than I have since my symptoms started years ago. It's now been four days since I started that supplement, and I haven't had any issues at work, and I'm feeling really good. Amazingly, not only have my bowel problems significantly improved, but my anxiety has been reduced greatly--I guess the two problems are pretty intertwined. I'm starting to feel like a normal person again, and it's such a great feeling!

Let me know how the rest of you are doing, and if you have any stories to share.

#24 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:29 AM

Hi All
I've read everyone's messages and must add that my husband has been dealing with celiac unbeknownst to him for 28 years or so. Over those years he eliminated the wrong foods from his diet which he thought were giving him indigestion and gas. He eliminated fruits, vegetables, spices, fried foods and tomatoes. He had bathroom problems to the point that I would laugh and call the bathroom his office. He developed depression and social anxiety too. This was to the point of not wanting to go to other people's homes and social functions (he didn't mind walking around the Mall as long as he did his bathroom stuff BEFORE we left the house. He would go to restaurants for pancakes and dinner. He developed an avoidance of public restrooms - more anxiety. We never traveled except to Malls and certain relatives for a hour or two and to the sea shore for a week, as long as we took an efficiency motel room so he could make his own gluteny breakfast - remember he didn't know he was celiac until about 5 mos ago). He became a hermit so to speak. He would be excused from jury duty (due to bathroom problems) and we always declined wedding/party invitations because we never knew what they were serving, etc. It was more trouble to go than to have him eat before going just to watch everyone eating food he couldn't have - and this wasn't even a gluten free diet. So the gluten free diet has made going places even more difficult. The celiac disease diet has made his social anxiety even worse, if that could be possible, but it is.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#25 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

Hi debmidge,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's troubles. Is the gluten-free diet making him feel any better physically? I know that I still had a lot of bowel troubles even after going gluten-free, and my social anxiety didn't get any better either.

After reading a lot of the posts on this board, I wonder if the anxiety is a product of two things: having bathroom issues already, and also being nutritionally out of balance. If your husband has cut out a lot of fruits and vegetables, he's probably not getting the balance of vitamins and minerals he needs. I never thought that food could affect your mood, but now I'm realizing that diet affects your health in just about every way--including your mental state.

I'm not a doctor, but I would suggest that maybe he get tested for any deficiencies. I've tried to up my magnesium intake after reading the posts on this message, and that could be part of why I feel better, in addition to the probiotics. (The probiotics, by the way, are helping somewhat, but my first post in response to the supplement was maybe a little optimistic--I don't feel 100% better, but I do feel at least 50% better). It's certainly better than nothing.

Good luck, and I hope he feels better soon.

Amy

#26 calisherbear

calisherbear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:40 AM

I was diagnosed with social anxiety yesterday, but I've know that I've had it for a long time now. My doctor wants me to try Paxil CR, but I can't seem to get a difinitive answer as to whether or not it's safe. I've seen the regular formulation of Paxil on the gluten free drug lists, but not the CR version. I called GlaxoSmithKline and their response was that while they don't believe that any ingredients contain gluten, they can't confirm that is the case for any of the ingredients that are coming from an outside supplier. Does anyone know for sure? This disease is frustrating enough.....finding things to help you shouldn't be. :(

#27 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:50 AM

Calisherbear, you can have your pharmacist call their source for the medication directly and confirm that their formulation is gluten-free and if not, have them use one that is. Pharmacists are a great resource in situations like this.

Good luck to you!

#28 calisherbear

calisherbear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:03 AM

YankeeDB,
I tried that yesterday when I picked the prescription up, and my pharmacist was less than helpful. He couldn't find the phone number and then told me to just call Glaxo myself. The person I talked to at Glaxo this morning was a pharmacist, but still couldn't give me a straight answer. I guess besides figuring out whether or not this drug is safe, I also need to find a more knowledgable pharmacist. UGH!!

#29 Wanda Rittue

Wanda Rittue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 01:43 PM

Linda,
I'm glad to hear that constipation is a sign of celiac, I was beging to think my doctor was wrong in diagnosing me because everthing I've read on this site for the past 3 weeks was about people having severe diarrhea & like you I can't go.
If any body has any helpful list of what I can & can't eat I'd appreciate it, I'm only 3 weeks into this & still don't have much of a clue.

Thanks,
Wanda

#30 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:34 PM

I find that it is much easier to just call the pharmaceutical company myself. That way I know exactly what the person on the other end says. I also think that pharmacies are very busy places, and I am sure they have enough problems to deal with. I call on my own....but do always ask for the company name that produced my drug.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: