This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Making Your Own Pizza Dough And Sauce

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I got a pizza stone from Pampered Chef and was going to make my own gluten-free pizza dough. Has anyone tried doing this on a pizza stone? I was going to use the recipe in Annalise Roberts book, but the instructions are for on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to do it on the stone.

Also, anyone have recipes for making pizza sauce?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm also interested in a pizza sauce recipie. I do use a jarred pizza sauce that is gluten-free. It is called Enrico's All Natural Pizza Sauce. It says gluten-free right on the label. I've purchased it from Whole Foods and Meijer's which is like a Super Kmart.

Daxin Explorer

Bob's Red Mill makes a great gluten-free pizza mix. We haven't tried it on a stone, but it is awesome on a normal pizza tray. Can't imagine it would be any different on a pizza stone. Lucky you for getting one from pampered chef...I'm jealous.

mamatide Enthusiast
I got a pizza stone from Pampered Chef and was going to make my own gluten-free pizza dough. Has anyone tried doing this on a pizza stone? I was going to use the recipe in Annalise Roberts book, but the instructions are for on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to do it on the stone.

Also, anyone have recipes for making pizza sauce?

No experience with a stone but if it were me I'd just try putting a layer of parchment paper between the stone and the dough for the first time to see how it reacts.

Good luck!

Cam's Mom Contributor

Oh how I used to love my pizza stone!! I did go out and buy a new stone so I could make my daughter pizza but just recently gave up and went out and bought a tray!

The recipe for foldable NY style pizza crust that was posted recently is really excellent- however, like most gluten-free breads, the dough is very wet and hard to form with hands (way too sticky). So, it is easier to throw it on a pan and then just mash it down.

If I were to go back to the stone I think I would try the parchment paper idea, then make the dough into a ball and put a large piece of plastic wrap over it then roll it out with a rolling pin. The problem with all of this is that the stone is best used really HOT - like preheated with the oven to close to 500 degrees. So taking it out of the oven to perform this operation would be difficult.

Another possibility is to use a pizza piel (is that how you spell it? - the long paddle thingy) and put the parchment paper on the piel then do the pizza on top and slide the whole thing onto the stone in the oven. I am not sure I am actually making any sense this morning but hope this helps.

Good luck!

Barb

Guhlia Rising Star

I just wanted to ditto Barb's recommendation of the NY style foldable crust recipe. It's by far the best pizza crust we've tried yet and it's really simple to make. I don't think I will ever use another pizza recipe.

Sorry, I dont' have a recipe for pizza sauce. I use Great Value brand's sauce and it's really good and inexpensive too. Oh wait, I do sometimes use GV brand no salt added tomato sauce and then add oregano, garlic, and onion powder until it tastes right. It's much easier to just buy the pizza sauce though.

missy'smom Collaborator

I used to put a little cornmeal on the pizza stone to prevent the dough from sticking. It's been a long time, but I think I put cornmeal on my cutting board and formed the pizza on that and then slid it onto the pizza stone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

I make pizza a lot and the dough is very wet.

I recently got a pizza stone and it is hard to use, but really cooks the crust well. You'll have to decide if the extra trouble is worth it or not.

Put a lot of olive oil on the stone first.

Spray a large wax paper with Pam and spread out most of the dough on it, then flip it over onto the stone and finish spreading it out by hand.

Cook about 10 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

Take out of the oven and use a sharp spatula to pry the crust up from the stone. This takes a few minutes - work your way around from the edge inward.

Turn the crust upside down on the stone and bake about another 5 minutes. Then take out, flip back over, top and finish baking as usual.

The result is a well-cooked crust that stays together and you can pick up and eat. My whole family really loves it. As the stone gets seasoned with more use, the whole process becomes easier (it becomes more non-stick).

Good luck!

Cam's Mom Contributor

here's another idea . . . (yeah, I'm getting a lot done today, NOT)

Take a look at that incredibly yummy NY pizza dough recipe. It calls for you to bake the crust for about 20 min. first and then 10 min. with the toppings on.

Maybe it would work well to make the crust in the pan - cook for 20 minutes. Then remove from over, put the pre-cooked crust on a cutting board or pizza piel and put your toppings on then slide it onto the heated pizza stone in the oven. And, yes, a bit of corn meal is a good idea to prevent sticking.

But I think this two step idea will work well. The dough won't be sticky and you will still be able to get that great crispy pizza stone pizza in the final product. It is a little "worky" but what gluten-free recipe isn't?! ;)

Barb

jkmunchkin Rising Star
here's another idea . . . (yeah, I'm getting a lot done today, NOT)

Take a look at that incredibly yummy NY pizza dough recipe. It calls for you to bake the crust for about 20 min. first and then 10 min. with the toppings on.

Maybe it would work well to make the crust in the pan - cook for 20 minutes. Then remove from over, put the pre-cooked crust on a cutting board or pizza piel and put your toppings on then slide it onto the heated pizza stone in the oven. And, yes, a bit of corn meal is a good idea to prevent sticking.

But I think this two step idea will work well. The dough won't be sticky and you will still be able to get that great crispy pizza stone pizza in the final product. It is a little "worky" but what gluten-free recipe isn't?! ;)

Barb

I'm thinking I like this idea. Sort of a combo of everyones suggestions!! Love the team work :)

Thanks everyone!!! Now how about that sauce?!!

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Try this recipe for sauce.

Open Original Shared Link

Amy

Jestgar Rising Star

I like the Brazillian cheese bread for crust.

pinktroll Apprentice

I made the "New York Style" crust on my pizza stone several times last week.(we really liked it!). I just oiled my stone and then put the dough on while the stone was cold. I used a lot of brown rice flour to pat the dough down and even used my pampered chef roller thing to roll it all out to the edges. This does require a good amount of flour however because the dough is really sticky. I baked the crust for about 15 minutes in a preheated oven, topped it and then baked it for maybe another 10 minutes-til it was bubbly. For my sauce I just take a small can of tomato sauce and add garlic, salt and pepper, basil and lots of oregano until it tastes good to me. We don't like a lot of sauce so this works great for us and I never have to worry about the sauce going bad in my fridge because I don't use it all. I have also just done the prebake with the crust on my stone and then let it cool, wrapped it and put it in the freezer for later.

DebbieInCanada Rookie
...Thanks everyone!!! Now how about that sauce?!!

I use a small can of tomato paste, and thin it to the consistency I want with V8. then add a clove of minced garlic and Italian herb blend.

Debbie

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I'll bet canned crushed tomatoes will be the right consistency. Add some garlic and herbs and we'll head over for lunch! :lol:

Archived