14 replies to this topic

#1 Annaem

Annaem

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

I've been suffering from pregnancy constipation. In the past i have always used flax seed oil gel capsules. When i started getting constipation i decided to take it again . I have only taken the capsules like 5 times in the four months. Didn't think it was dangerous, there was no warning on the bottle. And i have heard it is good to have some flax. I looked up in the internet and it says that FLAX is not recommended!. I am know extremely worried that i have caused damage of some kind.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

I've never heard that. Where do you read it?

richard

#3 HawkFire

HawkFire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

I tell my sister to use chlorella and spirulina for her pregnancy related constipation. She could not believe the instant relief. There is great health benefits to using these two products as well. I have recently heard that too much flax is not good for you for some reason. I don't recall why exactly.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

#4 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

I have never had a problem with flax seed in any form.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#5 Annaem

Annaem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

If you look up pregnancy and flax seed oil on the net it says its not recommended. They don't have clear studies yet but it affects your estrogen levels.

#6 Annaem

Annaem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

I tell my sister to use chlorella and spirulina for her pregnancy related constipation. She could not believe the instant relief. There is great health benefits to using these two products as well. I have recently heard that too much flax is not good for you for some reason. I don't recall why exactly.

THanks for the advice

#7 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

common sense tells me that you probably haven't harmed your baby. I didn't know this either, but read it the other day on the internet. I have a friend that has taken it daily with all four of her babies. Aloe vera isn't good either I guess. I don't think they really know much. I know primrose oil can stimulate contractions. THis would be the only legitimate reason I would think to not take it. Surely it isn't going to cause birth defects. I am just babbling I guess, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

MOnica

#8 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Anna, I seriously doubt that you could possibly have harmed your baby by taking flax seed oil. It isn't like you were drinking it by the bottle!

Really, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 johnsoniu

johnsoniu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:49 PM

I know flax seed oil helps the body produce and raise testostorne levels, and when testosterone rises, estrogen levels usually go down. Thus it would make sense that women who are pregnant should not take flax seed oil, but I seriously doubt that 5 capsules over 4 months produced any negative effects on you or your baby.
John

positive blood tests 2/07
positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

#10 kevieb

kevieb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Flaxseed Oil product was a excellent. Flaxseed Oil made me feel a whole lot better than I did before. I am happy bought it. I this Flaxseed Oil product to anyone who wants to maintain balance with themselves.
Read More: http://Lame Advertis.../flax seed.aspx

HUH?????

#11 Magdalena Rose

Magdalena Rose

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

I have never had a problem with flax seed in any form.

I am looking for a safe/ uncontaminated flax oil. I am new to this and I don't know if flax oil is a risk. I tried barleans and it seemed to be ok but I wanted a tried a true recommendation from someone if possible.

#12 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

HUH?????

I believe english is not ruyhwong's first language, and he was just expressing that he liked flax seed oil . ..
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

#13 JulesH

JulesH

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

I believe english is not ruyhwong's first language, and he was just expressing that he liked flax seed oil . ..

It kinda looks like spam to me, actually.

#14 powderprincess

powderprincess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

It kinda looks like spam to me, actually.

I agree, smells very much like spam. It's a first post.

With that said, flax seed (as with everything. . .in moderation) should be perfectly fine and even beneficial for you and your baby. Here's an article stating things with omega-3's are great.
http://www.providenc...y_Nutrition.htm
Visit to the er 4.1.06
blood test, positive for celiac disease 4.6.06
Endoscopy/biopsy/last day of gluten 5.25.06
Misdiagnosed for 2 decades. :( Feeling great now :)

#15 powderprincess

powderprincess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

Also. . congrats on your pregnancy!

I am 19 weeks now and certainly had constipation in the beginning. Eat prunes or drink prune juice. It helped me out a bit and then the problem resolved in time.
Visit to the er 4.1.06
blood test, positive for celiac disease 4.6.06
Endoscopy/biopsy/last day of gluten 5.25.06
Misdiagnosed for 2 decades. :( Feeling great now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: