This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Life's Blessings

debmidge

debmidge Rising Star

This thread is directed at those who choose to participate and is not intended as a religious debate. It's to give hope & support to those who need it, it's not advocating any particular religion or denomination and it's free spirited - meant to be a positive motion to all. This thread is advocating kindness in thought and IF you pray to take that kindness to the prayer level -- no matter to whom you pray. If this is not something you acknowledge, then you are free to pass on this entire thread, but visiting us is good too.

I was really moved this morning to say this, but I am so happy I found this board a few years ago. I don't know what I would have done without it (ditto from husband).

This being said I'd like to also say that circumsances in my life has made me lose my faith in God...but if someone asks me to pray for them I will (God in my estimation is interested in who I pray for at least, but just not me). Anyway, I was also moved today to propose a thread for those who want to agree to say a little prayer for one another. So just add your name or prayer suggestion to the thread and all those who add will take that name or intention that day and say a prayer for them/it. The person posting does not have to go into detail as to the circumstances unless they want to. Even just a simple "please keep L.M. in prayer today." will suffice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Deb, I must remark on this. I am very spiritual, belong to many spiritual forums. I have been told by some that in some way, I wished this disease on myself. Many feel that what happens to us is because we feel we deserve it. I do not feel this way.

I am thankful that I know what is wrong now. It was so much worse when I didn't know. I would be up all night in the bathroom so sick and I would ask God to just take me, that I couldn't handle it anymore. I truly didn't mean it, I would never have left my kids willingly. Now, I also understand that this disease has helped me in other ways too. I now am more sympathic to others. I now realize you do not have to look sick to be very ill. I am always ready to help others--I offer my email addy or phone # willingly to assist another.

Thank you for starting this thread. It's a wonderful reminder of what life is all about. Thinking of others! We should add each other to our lists.

missy'smom Collaborator
This being said I'd like to also say that circumsances in my life has made me lose my faith in God...but if someone asks me to pray for them I will (God in my estimation is interested in who I pray for at least, but just not me).

Deb, I'll pray for you. If I may be so bold, I believe God will be with you during this time and waiting for you at the end when you pass though it. Because of circumstances in my life many years ago, I felt exactly the same way that you described above(for quite a long time). I'd like to say more but words are not my strength. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

On another note. I started a greatful journal around that time I try to find five things everyday, my sons's smile tops the list of most frequent entries. :) Some days it was a real struggle to find one or two. Unfortunately I'm not disciplined and also would rather wallow so don't keep it up but every now and then pull it out and think I would benefit from doing it more often. It's interesting to read back and see the entries from over the years.

darlindeb25 The pastor at my church just spoke about this yesterday(in agreement with what you said). It was the topic of the message.

2kids4me Contributor

I have posted this before, a while back..I will post it again as it seems so fitting for this thread...

My two children have the ability to take what life gives them and move on... my daughter with Aspergers showed me how to sit still and watch the butterflies... my son became stronger emotionally because he found out he could deal with something big and still have loads of fun.

They have well developed emapthy and have been able to offer comfort to others because they know about challenges.

My daughter has Aspergers syndrome, it is a disorder within the autistic spectrum. She was born with muscle weakness as well and could not walk until the age of three years, then at the age of four years her thyroid gland failed and she was diagnosed hypothyroid, she also has heart damage from Kawasaki disease, and celiac disease. My son has diabetes and celiac disease. I also have insulin dependent diabetes mellitus and hypothyroidism. I share this information, not to garner sympathy, but to allow you to understand the struggles that our family has shared.

You see, I have always had faith in a loving God. On a few occasions I have had people comment that God was responsible for the disabilities, and that I had some lesson to learn; others wondered why God would do this to a child.

I am no expert in theology so this my personal view - I do not believe that God inflicts disease and pain on our children or causes physical problems. We are born human and the gift of life is indeed a miracle from God, but from conception onward - we are human, and with that comes frailties. Our bodies will fail and sometimes babies die or struggle with a disability from birth; at other times we have accidents. He gives us life and then it

Kyalesyin Apprentice

My wife and I have often been told that everything wrong with us is our own fault- her celiac and skin problems, my diabeties and bad joints, communication issues, all the rest.

I've never been one much for faith- I do pray, but usually on a hilltop or on the beach at dawn, or when its raining, places that make me feel the power that faith can have. There is something to be said for praying for peace as the sun crests over the hill and hits you full on in the face.

Normally for me, its the faith of others that I find most beneficial. I doubt we'll ever go to church- we're happy enough praying by ourselves, but seeing other people happy and balenced in their faith and willing to share their experiences of it often gives me strength to keep going.

My name actually translates to Serenity, which is broken down into 'peace, hope, faith' in runic. My parents were a little romantic, but its always gives me something to work towards.

I'll light a candle tonight for those of you needing a helping hand. It may not do much, but a small action made in faith can do more than a large empty gesture.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm thankful for my family (even my teenage son who drives me CRAZY :blink: ), for knowing what's wrong with me so I can get better, and for this board for support. I'm even thankful for this trial as I am learning from it and becoming a better person.

Debmidge, I think you know God cares for you, too. Have you ever read Footprints? You are thankful, and that's a start. :)

mommida Enthusiast

I pray for my niece. She is about ten years old and has been diagnosed with RSDS. She lost the ability to bear weight on her ankle just before the New Year began. The doctor's say she is at stage 1 and 1/2 out of the three stages. She never complained about any of the pain she must have been experiencing before. She rates her pain level at 14 on a 1 to 10 scale. She is in a wheel chair now and will most likely be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. They are doing nerve blocks to ease the pain.

L.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I don't think you have to believe in God to pray- call me crazy (I mean, I do believe in God but not in a traditional religious way). I think of praying as sending your intentions and gratitude into the universe where we are all part of one another.

I am so grateful for this board!!!!!!!!!!! I pray more people will feel better here. I'm really grateful for the beauty of nature- snow falling tonight, my puppy's sweet little face and the fact that Tinkyada pasta tastes so good. Oh- and Beethoven's Ode to Joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Rainier Marie Rilke's Love Poems to God.

Life really is good even though the day to day can wear you down. :wub:

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I too wanted to add. It all depends on our definition of praying. I do not sit down, put my hands together and say, "Dear God." I speak with God whenever I feel the need. I talk to my angels, I hear messages from those angels in song lyrics, in repetitive numbers--whatever happens in a days time are messages from God. Thinking about another person and wishing you could help is the same thing as asking God to help. He hears our thoughts, good and bad and does not judge us.

Great thread Deb!

debmidge Rising Star

Love People; Use Things.

Keeping you all in my prayer for today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. We are all in this together.

spunky Contributor

I don't get on this board much anymore, because, thank God, I am self-diagnosed and very well these days, all because of this board only!

But I do look it over very quickly a few times per week.

I would like to say a prayer of THANKS, because of the help I got here, sometimes lurking silenty, and a few times asking questions. I am so happy to be feeling good now, as opposed to how I'd felt for the past decade or longer.

I will also keep all of you in my prayers, as I consider anyone here a helpful friend in times of need.

wethree Newbie

I was away from this message board for awhile and glad to be back. I will tell all of you that this is------by far--------the most excellent message board for celiac people. Most of the people here are kind, intelligent, wonderful people, and if there are clinkers, they are few. In anything in life, there are a few clinkers.

I, too, do so appreciate the things that I get from this message board and if a prayer or two comes my way, then that is great----or if I can offer a prayer or two, that is good too. I have picked up so many nice ideas and hopefully have offered a few through the last couple of years.

I don't know if anyone has started a thread about "The Secret" and I have not read it, but the premis seems to be that you are what you bring on yourself as suggested earlier in this thread. I am not sure I believe this. The people behind the book/DVD, have been on Oprah and Larry Kind and sure seem adamant about it. They are all highly successful at their endeavors, but this could be a cooincidence, too. Having a positive attitude isn't any secret and that goes way back to Norman Vincent Peale's book "The Power of Positive Thinking". When you apply that to the celiac issue, then we have to be grateful that we do not have a killer disease, that if we eat properly, we will live a long and good life, or this is how I look at it. I feel sorry for my mom, who at the age of 88, just got diagnosed with celiac disease and her innards are ruined by now. I got diagnosed at 58 and my granddaughter got diagnosed at one. I have the gene. She is a little genius about every aspect of the issue and I learn things from her all the time. Fortunately her parents are vigilant with her diet.

I had someone tell me recently that they are seeing articles about gluten issues and gluten-free food at the strore all the time now. Aren't we lucky that it is coming out of the closet. I think Elisabeth is going to really be a good friend to us. Of course, I am a HUGE fan of THE VIEW.

Gotta run and teach confirmation to a nice group or teenagers now. Barbara

Daisy Duke Explorer

I used to pray just here and there, mainly when I needed something, and I used to be pretty greedy, wanting very material things. I was so sick that I was meeting my needs with material goods.

Now that I have found out I am gluten and dairy intolerant (self-diagnosed) and I feel so much better, I seem to pray more often, and not for myself, but for others. So often times you will find me taking a walk and thinking about friends and family and others and I often pray for them. I know i pray alot for the members on this board, basically just for their intentions, so that they may feel better, and I also says prays of thanksgiving more often now than I used to.

Prayer is a wonderful stress reliever. And just like you have all mentioned above, a person doesn't have to believe in God to be prayerful. I find that in stressful situations, a short prayer often times makes it a little easier to take. And then there are days where 200 prayers doesn't seem to help! :)

I am so thankful I found this board, I have learned so much, I don't often participate in the discussions, but I look at the board several times a week and catch up on all the news.

Daisy Duke

missy'smom Collaborator

I am deeply greatful today for answers and a certain degree of peace and closure after twenty years of dealing with an emotionally painful situation.

I am greatful for the daffodils.

Archived