This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Never Introduced Myself!

uhave2bekidding

uhave2bekidding Rookie

I logged on in here a few days ago, posted a few questions, and never introduced myself! Have a feeling I am going to be here a lot! So far, everyone has been great! Lots and lots of great advice. My husband was just diagnosed with celiac about a month ago. I think my biggest issue is keeping the kitchen seperate. I have two kids, who don't necessarily like the taste of non gluten foods. It's been quite an adjustment. I read (from one of you very helpful people) that I should use a big magic marker on foods that cannot be contaminated. Great idea. Still working on keeping everything straight and actually thinking about what I'm making. Dinner seems to be the biggest challenge. Meats are ok, but the sides are what kills us. I'm italian so I cook lots of pasta... I know that's easy but bread is another issue with my husband. Problem is all loaves are so small! We need Wonder bread to get a hold of a gluten free recipe and bake it for us! Oh well, thanks so much for all of your help so far, and best of luck to everyone!

Happy De-glutening!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie

Welcome!

A big black marker works in my house, I also buy mayo, kechup and mustard etc. in a squeeze bottle so no one puts their bread contaminated knife in them. I insist on spoons in jelly, peanut butter etc. or more often than not, have one marked with a big black marker :lol: and the other for my gluten eating hubby.

If we have company staying, then anything like jelly or jam that was opened, I leave for my hubby to eat up and open myself a new jar.

I think your hubby would like the Kinnikinnick English muffins. Even my bread hating daughter loves those. Make sure that anything baked that's gluten free is heated before eating. It's a much better flavour and texture. :lol:

My gluten loving hubby likes Tinkyada pasta, so you can go that way ... If you like scalped potatoes and don't like to cook ... like me ... Idahoan is gluten free :lol:

Guest lorlyn

Just also wanted to say welcome to the board. The gluten free bread has been one of the hardest part of this change because my husband is Italian and loves bread. Just wanted to say hi and hang in there.

missy'smom Collaborator

Welcome. If by small you mean that the actual slices are small, you can cut the loaf in half and then slice it the opposite way(horizontally) that you normally would and you'll end up with larger square slices, assuming that it's not presliced bread that you are working with.

Guhlia Rising Star

Welcome! Try Tinkyada pasta. It's a board favorite. I think you and your kids will be pleasantly surprised. Just don't bother telling them that it's gluten free. They even make Tinkyada lasagna noodles and jumbo shells! I think you'll find that pasta won't be a problem for him. He's lucky to have a wife that's supportive. We ended up going completely gluten free in the house because I kept getting glutened from unknown sources. As soon as we went gluten free in the house I stopped getting sick. If you end up having to do that, don't worry, it doesn't have to be a big deal. There are many tasty gluten free products and many, many things that are naturally gluten free. You'll find a wide array of gluten free mainstream products. Don't forget to have a seperate toaster for him and his gluten free bread. That's imperative. Also, are all of his (and yours) hair/body products gluten free? He could get glutened just from a smooch if you're products aren't gluten free.

One last thing... If he misses beer, try Red Bridge and Bard's Tale. Red Bridge is made by Anhueser-Busch and it's pretty easy to find compared to most other gluten free beers. Bard's Tale is a specialty beer and usually hard to find, but it's wonderful.

uhave2bekidding Rookie
Welcome!

A big black marker works in my house, I also buy mayo, kechup and mustard etc. in a squeeze bottle so no one puts their bread contaminated knife in them. I insist on spoons in jelly, peanut butter etc. or more often than not, have one marked with a big black marker :lol: and the other for my gluten eating hubby.

If we have company staying, then anything like jelly or jam that was opened, I leave for my hubby to eat up and open myself a new jar.

I think your hubby would like the Kinnikinnick English muffins. Even my bread hating daughter loves those. Make sure that anything baked that's gluten free is heated before eating. It's a much better flavour and texture. :lol:

My gluten loving hubby likes Tinkyada pasta, so you can go that way ... If you like scalped potatoes and don't like to cook ... like me ... Idahoan is gluten free :lol:

Thanks so much for the info. I bought some tapioca rice rolls the other day.. there is no heating instructions so i guessed. besides that my hubby liked them. Didn't know they had english muffins. thanks so much for your help

cdfiance Explorer

Hey uhave2bekidding!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you -- my fiance Alex has been recently diagnosed with Celiac.

This board has been a great resource for me and and I'm sure you'll find the same. I decided to give up Gluten because I didn't want it around the house to possibly contaiminate her food but I imagine it's much harder to make that change with children in the house. Not sure if you've tried them but rice noodles have been our saviour! I think they taste better than regular noodles and they're nice and gentle on Alex's frequently upset tummy. If you haven't come to the sad conclusion already, gluten is in SO MANY things. Shortly after Alex's diagnosis I made it my mission to hunt down all the hidden sources of gluten in our house and searched like a mad man while she was sleeping or resting. I was shocked to find gluten in things like our shampoo, some of her make-up and even her beloved (and expensive!) art supplies. :( I was always so proud of myself when I found more gluten contaminated products! :lol:

I just wanted to let you know that you've found a great board and a terrific community of knowledgable and helpful people. I'm sure you'll find as much info and support here as I have!

Ryan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

uhave2bekidding Rookie
Welcome! Try Tinkyada pasta. It's a board favorite. I think you and your kids will be pleasantly surprised. Just don't bother telling them that it's gluten free. They even make Tinkyada lasagna noodles and jumbo shells! I think you'll find that pasta won't be a problem for him. He's lucky to have a wife that's supportive. We ended up going completely gluten free in the house because I kept getting glutened from unknown sources. As soon as we went gluten free in the house I stopped getting sick. If you end up having to do that, don't worry, it doesn't have to be a big deal. There are many tasty gluten free products and many, many things that are naturally gluten free. You'll find a wide array of gluten free mainstream products. Don't forget to have a seperate toaster for him and his gluten free bread. That's imperative. Also, are all of his (and yours) hair/body products gluten free? He could get glutened just from a smooch if you're products aren't gluten free.

One last thing... If he misses beer, try Red Bridge and Bard's Tale. Red Bridge is made by Anhueser-Busch and it's pretty easy to find compared to most other gluten free beers. Bard's Tale is a specialty beer and usually hard to find, but it's wonderful.

thanks for the ideas on beer, I think that was the first thing he sought out! I think the one he likes is New Grist. I think Red Bridge is the other one he likes. I am trying so hard to be supportive//it's extremely hard with my kids though. they are 9 and 7 and my daughter is extremely picky. I think her entire menu consists of 6-7 things. It's hard to get her to eat anything much less the "weird" (in her eyes) tasting food. I just keep asking questions and listenting to all of the advice. I get so frustrated and think I should be doing better for him but all I can do is keep learning! Thanks again..

Guhlia Rising Star
thanks for the ideas on beer, I think that was the first thing he sought out! I think the one he likes is New Grist. I think Red Bridge is the other one he likes. I am trying so hard to be supportive//it's extremely hard with my kids though. they are 9 and 7 and my daughter is extremely picky. I think her entire menu consists of 6-7 things. It's hard to get her to eat anything much less the "weird" (in her eyes) tasting food. I just keep asking questions and listenting to all of the advice. I get so frustrated and think I should be doing better for him but all I can do is keep learning! Thanks again..

If you don't tell them the pasta is "special" I'm pretty sure they'll never notice. I've served it to guests who have questioned me on why I was eating pasta since it has gluten in it. They thought it was the real thing. We love Tinkyada.

Viola 1 Rookie

Also, you can't tell the difference with gluten free pancakes. Both Pamela's and Kinnikinnick have excelent pancake mixes, and my parents were visiting. They just about had a fit when I sat down and started eating the same pancakes :lol:

They are great for a meal, but also if you put the left overs in the fridge, and then your hubby can heat them a little and use them for breakfast or lunch the next day. Yummy!

Archived