This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boston Market?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

Hi, we have a Boston Market in our local Stop and Shop..has anyone ever eaten their food? whats gluten-free? Did you get sick?

theres are some nights [like tonight] I'm not feeling great and too tired to cook, it would be great to be able to grab some pre-cooked food to bring home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hi, we have a Boston Market in our local Stop and Shop..has anyone ever eaten their food? whats gluten-free? Did you get sick?

theres are some nights [like tonight] I'm not feeling great and too tired to cook, it would be great to be able to grab some pre-cooked food to bring home.

Betty,

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that they have a website, perhaps with a list of gluten free items.

(from the back of my mind and a long time ago....)

ebrbetty Rising Star

I was just on their site, couldn't find anything..but then my eyes are half closed lol

I emailed them, hopefully they'll get back to me soon

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This has the ingredients for everything.

Open Original Shared Link

Just watch them like a hawk when they are making your meal. No matter how many times you tell them no cornbread, they love to still throw it on the tray. I once said no corn bread about 4 times, to the point that I was thinking this person is going to think I must think they're retarded. Well apparently she was, because she still put cornbread on there. When I told her I couldn't have the cornbread, that I was allergic she just took it off and then proceeded to go to the next person. Fortunately right as I was about to say something, the woman next to her grabbed my order, dumped it in the trash and started fresh.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thank you..do you ever get the soup? what do you normally get, if you don't mind me asking?

sherylj Rookie
This has the ingredients for everything.

Just watch them like a hawk when they are making your meal. No matter how many times you tell them no cornbread, they love to still throw it on the tray. I once said no corn bread about 4 times, to the point that I was thinking this person is going to think I must think they're retarded. Well apparently she was, because she still put cornbread on there. When I told her I couldn't have the cornbread, that I was allergic she just took it off and then proceeded to go to the next person. Fortunately right as I was about to say something, the woman next to her grabbed my order, dumped it in the trash and started fresh.

This site is a great resource: Just don't make the mistake I did (at Panera Bread). At the end of the lengthly list of ingredients there is a list of "allergens". Look closely, example in the sides look at poultry gravy. The last list of "allergens" doesn't list wheat but if you read the INGREDIENTS. you see MODIFIED FOOD STARCH. Whoever analyzes their ingredient lists isn't knowledgeable. When the clerk is impatiently waiting for you to order and points to the allergens listed at the end,,DON'T RUSH. take the time to read the ingredients for those hidden glutens..Panera wasn't good for me!! And the gravy at Boston Market would be wonderful but for the hidden gluten.

My whole weekend, was a series of hidden gluten after another. I accidently bought a new brand of chicken broth,,,(it had wheat :o , and I didn't notice until to late. There were numerous other mistakes so I was feeling yucky by Saturday night.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I've ate there before and been fine. You do have to practically have NO CORNBREAD tatooed on your forehead, but there is plenty to eat. I usually get the white chicken, corn and maybe green beans or the apples.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sherylj Rookie
I've ate there before and been fine. You do have to practically have NO CORNBREAD tatooed on your forehead, but there is plenty to eat. I usually get the white chicken, corn and maybe green beans or the apples.

I am really glad to add this to the list of restaurants that will make everyone in my family happy!! My husband realy misses eating out and I am slowly adding places I feel safe. :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star
thank you..do you ever get the soup? what do you normally get, if you don't mind me asking?

I normally get the quarter chicken dark (or half depending on how hungry I am), with mashed potatoes and spinach. Although I also really like the new dill potatoes and butternut squash, so sometimes I get that instead. I love the corn but it tends to give me a tummy ache.

I've never tried their soup. Maybe next time I'll try the butternut squash soup. That crab soup sounds really good too, but again, I don't digest corn that well so I eat it sparingly.

This site is a great resource: Just don't make the mistake I did (at Panera Bread). At the end of the lengthly list of ingredients there is a list of "allergens". Look closely, example in the sides look at poultry gravy. The last list of "allergens" doesn't list wheat but if you read the INGREDIENTS. you see MODIFIED FOOD STARCH. Whoever analyzes their ingredient lists isn't knowledgeable. When the clerk is impatiently waiting for you to order and points to the allergens listed at the end,,DON'T RUSH. take the time to read the ingredients for those hidden glutens..Panera wasn't good for me!! And the gravy at Boston Market would be wonderful but for the hidden gluten.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe under the new allergen laws any Modified Food Starch that is not derived from wheat, has to have wheat listed in parenthesis next to it. So anything listed as just modified food starch without that addenedum should be derived from corn.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks everyone :D

UNCHeel Rookie

You guys are life savers!!! This is awesome news for me just recently being diagnosed and really feeling like a fish out of water.:)

hez Enthusiast

My understanding of the new labeling law is that it does NOT apply to resturants or their suppliers.

Hez

happygirl Collaborator
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe under the new allergen laws any Modified Food Starch that is not derived from wheat, has to have wheat listed in parenthesis next to it. So anything listed as just modified food starch without that addenedum should be derived from corn.

Does not apply to restaurants etc

• 1 month later...
janjal Newbie

I get Boston Market take out all the time. We get the Chicken, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, and other stuff for the rest of the family. I am the only one with Celiac disease. It has not bothered me when I have eaten it. Of course I stay away from the cornbread. It used to be my favorite.

wowzer Community Regular

Before I ever went gluten free, I ate at Boston Market once. The chicken made my lips start to swell, so I quit eating it. I know it is injected with who knows what. I'd be real careful there if you have any other allergies.

Karen B. Explorer

AMEN!!! Or let the first sentence and every third one after that be "AND NO CORNBREAD"

Even then, I trust their chicken (only if I'm watching) but I don't trust their sides. After they slapped the cornbread on my plate, in spite of telling them I couldn't have it, I told them I now needed a new plate with new sides. So they scrapped the sides off of the plate back into the steam table container and started preparing a new one. I realize they don't typically hire geniuses at fast food places but the typical server I've encountered really doesn't get it. And they swap spoons amoung the sides.

Archived