This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Results Are In

confused

confused Community Regular

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 24 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 44 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 364 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

After looking at my results more, i know i cant have casien, it was just hopeful thinking on my part for a minute.

paula

hathor Contributor
So does having 2 gluten genes just as bad as having an celiac gene?

I don't know about that. It turns out that most everyone in this country has 2 gluten genes, that is, except for the 35% or whatever it is who have a celiac gene.

I think this just tells you that you don't have celiac. Or probably don't -- I've heard some say that you have to have the gene, others say that 1% of celiacs don't, still others say that the jury is still out on whether there are other celiac genes.

Clear as mud, huh? Anyway, welcome to the club :o Just be glad you didn't decide to throw in the other tests like I did; I was floored by hearing I had a problems with soy and yeast!

JerryK Community Regular
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,6)

Hey we are genetic matches! Want to compare notes?? I'm a 3,1 also.

What I've read and learned from some of these folks is that 3,1 seems to possibly be

associated with an increased risk of neurological symptoms.

If you don't have the Celiac gene, you're not likely to have the intestinal damage typical

of true Celiac, but that doesn't mean it won't make you sick or isn't causing damage.

Some will say Celiac (Intestinal Damage) is a subset of a much larger list of problems all triggered by gluten. I'll tell you my symptoms, if you tell me yours. ;)

As for your questions, I'd say it looks like you shouldn't have Casein to me. Is having two gluten genes as bad as Celiac?? I guess that depends upon how severe your symptoms are. Some Celiacs barely have any symptoms...Some with Gluten Sensitivity are very sensitive, everyone is different.

I'm sure there are tons of people out there with HLA-DQ 3,1 that have no symptoms, at least none that they've figured out the cause.....

The true test is do you get better with the diet. If so, you have your answer.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Your microscopic fat score shows that you DO have intestinal damage, because you have malabsorption. Also, your immune system is reacting to gluten, your scores are obviously positive for gluten intolerance (as well as dairy intolerance).

So, you need to eliminate gluten and casein for life, as simple as that.

Also, you could still have celiac disease. Scientists are agreeing that they still know very little about the cause of celiac disease, and that they haven't identified all the genes yet. Just because most doctors in America won't test for the same genes as Enterolab doesn't mean that having those isn't just as bad as having the 'official' celiac disease genes.

Yes, I agree that it looks like about 80% of people have gluten sensitivity genes. And most people don't feel so good after eating a lot of cake, or bread, stuff made from gluten flours. They think it is 'normal' to feel bad after indulging! What an illogical way of thinking. Why should it be normal to feel sick after eating? If it makes you feel bad and run to the medicine cabinet for the heartburn medications, you shouldn't be eating it at all.

Thanks everyone. I had a rough day yesterday after reading my results, but i have the best hubby in the world, he went into the kitchen and threw away all the cheese and ice cream and everything else that has dairy. He said we will all be gluten and dairy free, since all the kids will have an gluten gene and my hubby is lactose intolerant. My mom even went and bought me 200 bucks worht of food and stuff yesterday and will bring me it up tommorow. So i know i will get threw this, im glad i have my family and all of you here that give such wonderful advice

I have even lost a couple pounds since sunday, so life is getting better

paula

Hey we are genetic matches! Want to compare notes?? I'm a 3,1 also.

What I've read and learned from some of these folks is that 3,1 seems to possibly be

associated with an increased risk of neurological symptoms.

If you don't have the Celiac gene, you're not likely to have the intestinal damage typical

of true Celiac, but that doesn't mean it won't make you sick or isn't causing damage.

Some will say Celiac (Intestinal Damage) is a subset of a much larger list of problems all triggered by gluten. I'll tell you my symptoms, if you tell me yours. ;)

As for your questions, I'd say it looks like you shouldn't have Casein to me. Is having two gluten genes as bad as Celiac?? I guess that depends upon how severe your symptoms are. Some Celiacs barely have any symptoms...Some with Gluten Sensitivity are very sensitive, everyone is different.

I'm sure there are tons of people out there with HLA-DQ 3,1 that have no symptoms, at least none that they've figured out the cause.....

The true test is do you get better with the diet. If so, you have your answer.

By nerulogical problems, you are meaning like anxiety and brain fog right?

I have lots of symptoms lol

fatigue

C then D

some joint pain

red eyes

an rash

brain fog

insomia

i know there is more but brain fog kicked in lol

I am felling better going gluten free

But last night i woke up at 11:30 all hot and had to tun to the bathroom, i was til 3 trying to get myself to go back to sleep. It was terrible, im not sure if i got glutened or i was stressed from the results yesterday.

Im really thinking there are more celiac genes out there that they are not aware of. Cause why do i have some intestinal damage if i dont have celiac, or is it just cause it is not severe like others.

Did u do the casein test when u tested, and if so, was it just negative. Is gluten the only thing that makes u sick?

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JerryK Community Regular
By nerulogical problems, you are meaning like anxiety and brain fog right?

My family has a long history of an anxiety disorder/depression, which it would seem clears right up when going gluten-free. My dad had it really bad and always killed the pain with help from Jack D.

Turns out both my brothers have it too and no one knew.

Now I didn't do casein and I don't think I have a casein problem. Do you, I don't know.

For myself I've also wondered about Lactose Intolerance, which I'm unsure about. I don't eat a lot of dairy, but when I do I seem to have minor problems...nothing like Gluten.

After about 6 weeks gluten-free, except for cheating once or twice, I feel great. I hope the same for you. j

chrissy Collaborator

anxiety and brain fog are mental symptoms---not neurological symptoms.

My family has a long history of an anxiety disorder/depression, which it would seem clears right up when going gluten-free. My dad had it really bad and always killed the pain with help from Jack D.

Turns out both my brothers have it too and no one knew.

Now I didn't do casein and I don't think I have a casein problem. Do you, I don't know.

For myself I've also wondered about Lactose Intolerance, which I'm unsure about. I don't eat a lot of dairy, but when I do I seem to have minor problems...nothing like Gluten.

After about 6 weeks gluten-free, except for cheating once or twice, I feel great. I hope the same for you. j

I have casein problems, but it would come and go. I would have days i would have sour cream and be so sick, then days i was fine, same with ranch dressing, and with cheesy enchilidas, it was never every time, so i would think maybe i was just stressed that day, never really thought about it. But then this weekend i had a birthday party for my daughter, and i was like ok i ownt eat the gluten cake, but ill have some ice cream, the new american idol cake that is like confetti cake, but gluten free. Well within an hour i was so sick. So at first i thought maybe i was glutened by the cake or the ice cream. But now after my test results, i know it was the ice cream. My son also had tummy problems after he ate the ice cream, but not as bad as I.

I come from a family with mental issues. My grandma was bi-polar and a few of her kids are on anxiety depression meds. But im thinking it is more from gluten then the actual mental disorder. My family is not the healithiest when eating. Most of them eat out 5 out of 7 days.

I am feeling better each day. Yesterday I cleaned the whole downstairs of my house, and my husband came home and was shocked, I have not cared to have an spotless house in weeks, heck months, and i am a clean freak. He was so happy to see me caring again. He went and cleaned the upstairs so the whole house was clean for once lol. And most night i have been going up to my room like 6, and last night i stayed downstairs and watched tv with him and the kids til 9. It felt so good not to go hide in my room and sleep like i do on most nights.

Ok im rambling now lol

paula

JerryK Community Regular
anxiety and brain fog are mental symptoms---not neurological symptoms.

Is your brain not composed of neurons that can be damaged? In my mind "brain damage" could definitely be caused by gluten and it is absolutely a neurological problem. Unless of course I'm missing something. Yes they are mental symptoms...potentially caused by neurological damage.

JerryK Community Regular
Is your brain not composed of neurons that can be damaged? In my mind "brain damage" could definitely be caused by gluten and it is absolutely a neurological problem. Unless of course I'm missing something. Yes they are mental symptoms...potentially caused by neurological damage.

Just wanted to add that I think many "mental illnesses" may in fact be neurological disorders and that it's a bit illogical to classify them separately. The fact that the brain = the mind, makes separating the two illogical.

I have a cousin who has schizophrenia...What caused that? By chance does the guy have a form of gluten intolerance that has manifested itself by causing neurological damage to the very organ that makes us who we are? I don't think anyone can say for certain one way or the other, but you can bet I'm suspicious. We talk a lot on here about the potential damage that can occur if you continue to eat wheat. Well I'm betting a lot of that is indeed neurological(to the brain) with the resulting mental symptoms such as depression and anxiety. Just thinking out loud. jk

Archived