8 replies to this topic

#1 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

Hey folks, OK I met with my GI today (the clinic that actually links to this website from theirs). Actually I was a little disappointed, the Doc was 1 1/2 hours late and spent about 10 mins with me. Here's what we are going to do:

1. Edoscopy
2. Stool O+P, WBC
3. Blood CBC, CMP, UA, Antigliadin, antiendomesial, antibody, Iggi, IgA
4. Small bowel X-ray and Gall bladder Sono

Some of these codes I am unsure of, particularly the stool one. I hope this is comparable to what Enterolab lab offers although I have a suspicion that I'll be using them later. The Nurse was actually really rude when I asked her about YorkLab testing...she proceeded to tell me about her son whom she had test for allergies 23 years ago!!! I tried to mention that surely things had changed since then but I was talking to a brick wall. At any rate the Doc wants to see these results first and then proceed from there. Personally I'm still very keen to have these YorkLab tests done.

Well I'm back on Gluten for the time until I get through the tests. Comments, concerns, questions all welcome.

THANKS!

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" PHILIPPIANS 4:4

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:38 PM

From your list of tests, I'd say your doc is looking for more than celiac disease. Test #4 indicates to me that he is also looking for gall stones. I don't know what the stool test will show him, unless he is checking for blood. If you can get through to your doc, ask him if he is running Enterolabs stool test. It would be interesting to find out if he is.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 judy04

judy04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:15 PM

The stool test for oand p is for ova and parasites, it is common to do these
especially if you are having diarrhea.
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#4 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:17 PM

No I don't believe he is using Enterolab, and I don't have diarrhea so I'm a bit buggered on this one, though I suppose it canít hurt. I should have the Enterolab test done as well right?

Here is the real kicker though, I have not had wheat for a week, today Doc says eat wheat, I come home and do just that...result: major burning in my lower stomach tonight that I have never in my life felt before! (I ate about 4 or 5 hours ago) Can anyone please tell me if they have experienced similar upon returning to Gluten?

Thanks

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:12 AM

Good luck with the tests. Definitely need to continue eating wheat for those, though the side effects suck.

I haven't experienced that particular side effect, but I thought I've read of others saying they have...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:09 AM

My PCP just called after chatting with my GI and I am now scheduled for an EGD to look for, guess what, celiac disease and also Whipple Disease. My question then is this:

I will have been gluten-free for more than 3 months by then, will there still be damage to see? They will also be taking biopsies for further testing. They are not doing blood tests because I told my PCP that I was not going to eat gluten again and make myself sick. I can't even IMAGINE - I had some bread crumbs contaminate my lunch yesterday and I was SOOOO sick and it couldn't have been more than a few crumbs that got stuck to the plastic wrap - that is what I get for being in a hurry, never again!

Thanks...
-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:17 AM

Hard to say whether they will see damage. Depends on how much damage there is to start, how fast you heal, and possibly how many samples they take and how expert the person looking at the slides is. But if you get that sick from a few crumbs I would also forget about eating gluten. If they are going for reasons other than to look for celiac disease, I'd go ahead with it.

richard

#8 joycejj

joycejj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:34 AM

My PCP just called after chatting with my GI and I am now scheduled for an EGD to look for, guess what, celiac disease and also Whipple Disease. My question then is this:

I will have been gluten-free for more than 3 months by then, will there still be damage to see? They will also be taking biopsies for further testing. They are not doing blood tests because I told my PCP that I was not going to eat gluten again and make myself sick. I can't even IMAGINE - I had some bread crumbs contaminate my lunch yesterday and I was SOOOO sick and it couldn't have been more than a few crumbs that got stuck to the plastic wrap - that is what I get for being in a hurry, never again!

Thanks...
-Kate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#9 joycejj

joycejj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:54 AM

I am new to this, just read your post. My father has Celiac or something. Has been gluten free for 3 months (very strict, no cross-contamination) still has bad anemia (7.9 Hemaglobin and it has continued to progrees downward rather than in an upward direction ie. 9.4 to 8.4 to 7.9 over the last several months rather than upward.) Never did the small intestinal biopsy for proof and GI's blood test (gliadin IgA AB was barely elevated) while still on regular diet. Huge gastric improvement with gluten-free diet. Most all gastric (IBS-like symptoms) have gone away.

I am very interested that your doctor tested you for Whipple Disease. I think that is very forward thinking since it is such a rare disease. I am especially interested because I think my Dad may have that. He is 84 and it seems difficult to get tests for him since doc's seem to think that it is just his age. Maybe for his doctors his age makes him not so hopeful to cure perhaps. But we are in the process of being referred to a GI doctor that is very familiar with Whipple Disease.

It sounds like you may have a very good doctor to go to the extent to 1.) consider you could have Whipple Disease and 2.) actually test you for it.

How did your tests go? Any sign of Whipple Disease? I hope that your condition has improved since your post.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joyce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: