3 replies to this topic

#1 suszyQ

suszyQ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

I bought some Bausch & Lamb eye drops (environmental) for dry eyes. When I contacted them to see if they're gluten free, they said they were gluten free and free of wheat, rye and barley. But there was no mention of oats. Does anyone know if they are ok to use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

I bought some Bausch & Lamb eye drops (environmental) for dry eyes. When I contacted them to see if they're gluten free, they said they were gluten free and free of wheat, rye and barley. But there was no mention of oats. Does anyone know if they are ok to use?

I don't think that oat should be an issue here.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

I can check the ingredients at work, but I truly see no reason for there to be oats, or gluten in eye drops. I use Systane (Alcon) all the time and I also use Refresh (Allergan) and also Pantanol (Alcon)--none contain gluten--no reason for gluten to be in them. Gluten is usually a thickening agent, these are drops, which do not require thickening--so I am very sure you are safe. I work for an optomitrist and see these items all the time.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 DebbieInCanada

DebbieInCanada

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

I can check the ingredients at work, but I truly see no reason for there to be oats, or gluten in eye drops. I use Systane (Alcon) all the time and I also use Refresh (Allergan) and also Pantanol (Alcon)--none contain gluten--no reason for gluten to be in them. Gluten is usually a thickening agent, these are drops, which do not require thickening--so I am very sure you are safe. I work for an optomitrist and see these items all the time.

Just a note - there can be CORN products in eye care solutions. You'd almost think there would be no reason to have corn in your eye care products, but they've found a reason. I found the following information about what sorbitol is used for, and where it comes from:

Sorbitol (a natural ingredient that attracts moisture) that locks in moisture and helps keep lenses from drying out.

Although small amounts of sorbitol are present is some fruits, the commercial source of sorbitol is the dextrose (glucose) produced from cornstarch.

So, for anyone with corn issues - be on the lookout for this.

Debbie
Gluten free since July 97
corn free since Jan 98
Never diagnosed by a Doctor
Symptoms cleared on gluten-free diet
Mom and one sister are also gluten-free
One sister with type I diabetes (diagnosed at age 10)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: