This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Craving!

sansglutengrl

sansglutengrl Explorer

Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to the board, which I can thank for getting me through those first gluten free months, but I am new to posting. And I'm not usually crabby about being gluten-free, in fact I feel so much better this way I don't even really get cravings. Also, thanks to you guys, I've been able to find a lot of positivity in this, and some great gluten substitutes.

But every now and then I'll be walking down the street and see someone eating a bagel and I want to rip it out of their hands and stomp on it! If I can't eat it, no one should!! And this morning, sitting in my cube smelling all of the egg and cheese bagel sandwhiches and flavored coffee around me, I want to cry! What do you guys miss? What do you do when the cravings attack??

Thanks for letting me vent.... I'm going to go chew on some flavorless rice product. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I feel your pain!!! Sometimes when we're out for dinner, I'll pick up hubby's yummy bread and just SMELL it. I miss bread... yummy homemade, crusty bread w/ butter. If I could have ONE food back, it'd be bread. Bagels might be a close second... I've not tried any of the gluten-free ones yet, and haven't had a bagel in more than 4 years.

Most of the time ... it just is what it is... but other times, I wanna kick a wall!!!

katecopsey Newbie

But every now and then I'll be walking down the street and see someone eating a bagel and I want to rip it out of their hands and stomp on it! If I can't eat it, no one should!! And this morning, sitting in my cube smelling all of the egg and cheese bagel sandwhiches and flavored coffee around me, I want to cry! What do you guys miss? What do you do when the cravings attack??

Thanks for letting me vent.... I'm going to go chew on some flavorless rice product. :(

Can't say that I have had quite that reaction, but I can sympathize.

Tuesday morning was a morning where everything was off. I was still sluggish from 2 wks with a multivitamin that had 'gluten' stuck at the end of the ingredients (missed it). It was also one of the rare mornings when I have to go out directly after taking #4 child to school. I didn't even have time to eat a piece of cardboard (affectionate name for gluten-free bread)! Going to the location I needed to be at, I passed a Dunkin' Donut. Although I had no desire to have a donut I royaly cursed that fact that I could not drop into any fast food place to grab a coffee and sustinence.

Maybe its time to start a gluten free fast food joint!!

Kate

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Hi Everyone! What do you guys miss? What do you do when the cravings attack??

I SO feel your pain!! You know my biggest problem, which is wierd because I've always had such a sweet tooth? Garlic toast. You know, the Texas toast or the kind you get at Chili's or Ruby Tuesday's? Oh, do I miss garlic toast..... You just can't get something gluten-free so light and fluffy, you know?.....

Guest cassidy

I feel for you too.

The biggest thing that I miss is Papa John's Pizza. I have since found out that I can't have tomatoes either, so I really can't make anything that resembles pizza. I really don't get jealous when people are eating gluteny foods except for that pizza. The commercials even get to me. My husband has agreed not to eat it at home. He can have frozen pizza, or eat out and get pizza, but I'm not really sure I could handle leftovers in the fridge. I one time I did have to watch him eat it I had to leave the room and I had a good "feel sorry for myself" cry. I realize I'm being a bit selfish but in the grand scheme of things I don't think I'm asking too much.

As long as you aren't constantly angry about other people eating things, and it sounds like you aren't, I don't see anything wrong with getting upset every once in a while. It should get easier. I can now watch people eat Panera's bagels (they will be at a breakfast I'm hosting this morning) and it doesn't phase me. I get something equally good for me and think about all the calories I'm saving by not eating a gooey bagel. Just don't be too hard on yourself. This is a huge life change and I can't imagine there are many people who can go on this diet and be positive 100% of the time.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
The biggest thing that I miss is Papa John's Pizza.

I dread getting the mail. Every day, pizza coupons. Argh! It's like sending an alcoholic beer coupons every day.

Geoff

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to the board, which I can thank for getting me through those first gluten free months, but I am new to posting. And I'm not usually crabby about being gluten-free, in fact I feel so much better this way I don't even really get cravings. Also, thanks to you guys, I've been able to find a lot of positivity in this, and some great gluten substitutes.

Dear sansglutengrl,

I really miss the food from our favorite Chinese takeout restaurant. :( Everytime Dad brings it home, I just want to cry. Why can't my parents at least have the decency to not eat things they know for sure are your favorites? And get this! My mother has the nerve to cook things I cannot eat, then expect me to do the clean-up! :angry: I am going to get some stuff this week to make my own homemade Chinese food. I just miss the convenience of takeout. It is a lot less work.

I also miss regular Doritos, and now there is a lot more I cannot have due to needing to stop eating dairy. Soy cheese is expensive, and I do not know where to find any gluten and casein free soy cheese.

Dear cassidy,

Papa John's Pizza, especially the garlic butter sauce! It is so good! I could probably make my own somehow. It seems pretty basic. At least I avoid the transfats and calories. That is an upside.

Dear Kate,

I have been thinking the same thing! Someone should start a gluten-free fast food place. It sucks not ever being able to meet anyone out anywhere to eat. There are so many things that we could recreate for people such as ourselves! It is time to do it!

Dear JNBunnie1,

I was not a big bread person, but I miss garlic toast as well. It is so crisp and buttery! There is bound to be a way to create it. My father used to make this great cheese and onion bread. It was so good. I am glad he never uses the bread machine anymore. It would make things even harder than they already are!

Dear GeoffCJ,

:lol: I totally get what you mean! It is like when I see coupons for Toll House Cookies!

I miss them! It can be such a hassle having to make your own. I am finding ways to spend less time exhausting myself now, though.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived