This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenease

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

About a week ago I went and got my hair done. I took two Glutenease right before I went in. I got my hair colored, cut and styled. No limitations on products, just whatever she normally used (plenty of wheat and oats in the ingredients, of course).

To make it especially interesting, I ended up with my hair in my mouth while she was blow-drying it, with about three different products on it. Pfftht... It was my fault. I had to open my big mouth to say something while she was blow-drying. :rolleyes:

By the time I got home I could tell I was having a bad reaction. You know how you get a worse reaction from actually getting a good amount of gluten rather than cross-contamination? Well, this was a pretty bad reaction. I've only gotten a bad reaction 3 or 4 times since being gluten-free, and this was up there with the worst.

When I get my hair done, I've only gotten cross-contamination before. I'll usually get a mild to moderate reaction.

I waited until I was home for about an hour so I could make sure it wasn't my imagination and it really was a reaction. Then I took another Glutenease, not expecting much because it hadn't helped stop it from happening in the first place. But it actually worked. A half hour later I was feeling much better.

- My hands had already been breaking out and just got a little red for a couple days.

- I was about ready to just crawl in bed and go to sleep, and I wasn't tired anymore.

- When I got back I was really pissed because my haircut was nothing like what the picture looked like. After the glutenease I ratcheted down to irritated. :P

- The insides of my ears got swollen and irritated feeling, that went away completely.

- I didn't have any GI symptoms. I don't have a ton of GI symptoms usually, but was having a stomachache and nausea that slowly went away. No D, but I usually just get a touch of that the next day.

- Didn't get any hair loss, which usually happens the next day. Even when I've had mild CC and I'm not exactly sure if I'm glutened or just in a bad mood, I'll get sudden increased hair loss that lasts for a day or two.

- I usually get really bad mobility and pain problems and that didn't happen at all.

Basically, it seems to have stopped the glutening reaction that had already started. I wasn't sure if it would come back or not, so I wanted to wait until a few days had passed before I gave a review.

I didn't take any further glutenease other than the two before that apparently didn't do anything, and the one after. My reactions usually last a day or two for the main symptoms and then I don't feel like myself for about a week while I'm slowly feeling better. My skin reaction doesn't go away for about three weeks.

With the one post-glutening Glutenease, it seems to have stopped the reaction completely.

I'm SOOOO not encouraging people to take this in order to try and eat gluten. We have no idea if this product causes other health problems (like any of us need that in our lives...). We also have no idea if this just keeps the symptoms from occurring and the villi or neuro damage is still accummulating, or if there is a true cessation of damage.

Nancy

Genetics: Two copies of DQ1, subtype 6. Not the two identified celiac genes. Technically, I'm gluten intolerant, not celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hoolie Newbie
About a week ago I went and got my hair done. I took two Glutenease right before I went in. I got my hair colored, cut and styled. No limitations on products, just whatever she normally used (plenty of wheat and oats in the ingredients, of course).

To make it especially interesting, I ended up with my hair in my mouth while she was blow-drying it, with about three different products on it. Pfftht... It was my fault. I had to open my big mouth to say something while she was blow-drying. :rolleyes:

By the time I got home I could tell I was having a bad reaction. You know how you get a worse reaction from actually getting a good amount of gluten rather than cross-contamination? Well, this was a pretty bad reaction. I've only gotten a bad reaction 3 or 4 times since being gluten-free, and this was up there with the worst.

When I get my hair done, I've only gotten cross-contamination before. I'll usually get a mild to moderate reaction.

I waited until I was home for about an hour so I could make sure it wasn't my imagination and it really was a reaction. Then I took another Glutenease, not expecting much because it hadn't helped stop it from happening in the first place. But it actually worked. A half hour later I was feeling much better.

- My hands had already been breaking out and just got a little red for a couple days.

- I was about ready to just crawl in bed and go to sleep, and I wasn't tired anymore.

- When I got back I was really pissed because my haircut was nothing like what the picture looked like. After the glutenease I ratcheted down to irritated. :P

- The insides of my ears got swollen and irritated feeling, that went away completely.

- I didn't have any GI symptoms. I don't have a ton of GI symptoms usually, but was having a stomachache and nausea that slowly went away. No D, but I usually just get a touch of that the next day.

- Didn't get any hair loss, which usually happens the next day. Even when I've had mild CC and I'm not exactly sure if I'm glutened or just in a bad mood, I'll get sudden increased hair loss that lasts for a day or two.

- I usually get really bad mobility and pain problems and that didn't happen at all.

Basically, it seems to have stopped the glutening reaction that had already started. I wasn't sure if it would come back or not, so I wanted to wait until a few days had passed before I gave a review.

I didn't take any further glutenease other than the two before that apparently didn't do anything, and the one after. My reactions usually last a day or two for the main symptoms and then I don't feel like myself for about a week while I'm slowly feeling better. My skin reaction doesn't go away for about three weeks.

With the one post-glutening Glutenease, it seems to have stopped the reaction completely.

I'm SOOOO not encouraging people to take this in order to try and eat gluten. We have no idea if this product causes other health problems (like any of us need that in our lives...). We also have no idea if this just keeps the symptoms from occurring and the villi or neuro damage is still accummulating, or if there is a true cessation of damage.

Nancy

Genetics: Two copies of DQ1, subtype 6. Not the two identified celiac genes. Technically, I'm gluten intolerant, not celiac.

Hi Nancy,

When I use this product I often find that I have to take more than two. Since the way you got the gluten was transdermal and thus going right into your bloodstream it would make some amount of sense that you may need more. When I travel and there is NOTHING for me to eat and I have to have some gluten I take 4. Of course this is the exception and only when I can't avoid it. I also noticed it has worked better over time- this could be the gut healing work I've been doing.

Many parents with Autistic kids use Glutenease and there are not side effects reported. It usually helps to heal the villi along with other gut healing enzymes and nutrients. Karen Defelice has done lots of work with this.

Here is a published article on DPP-IV:

Open Original Shared Link

There is another article in JAMA as well.

Be Well

Hoolie

kari Apprentice

I can't believe i've never heard of this product before. I work in a restaurant and when i'm pms'ing, the only thing in the world that i want is a big plate of french fries. I know ours are pure potato, but they are not cooked in a dedicated fryer, but around that time of the month I usually snag a couple and hope for the best, which is usually just a minor reaction but worth it at the time. well last night i was starving and so busy and no time for food, and ate a giant plate of fries without even thinking about it first. well i'm sure it didn't help that i woke up a bit hungover this morning also, but what i felt was a whole lot more than a hangover. i feel like i want to leave work and crawl in a hole and die!!! if this stuff works, even to have on hand for gluten accidents (it happens) or makes the symptoms a little better after a mistake, then i will run, not walk, to the nearest health food store and buy a case full of the stuff. i'm sure my boyfriend would appreciate it too if my cranky miserable self that i am when i feel this way could do something about the symptoms other than just wait them out. has anyone else had any success with this? I wouldn't think of buying it to try to eat gluten, but for days like this when i've gotten glutened somehow or another and just want to feel better so i can get back to work and resume my life again

:blink:

Hi Nancy,

When I use this product I often find that I have to take more than two. Since the way you got the gluten was transdermal and thus going right into your bloodstream it would make some amount of sense that you may need mor e. When I travel and there is NOTHING for me to eat and I have to have some gluten I take 4. Of course this is the exception and only when I can't avoid it. I also noticed it has worked better over time- this could be the gut healing work I've been doing.

Many parents with Autistic kids use Glutenease and there are not side effects reported. It usually helps to heal the villi along with other gut healing enzymes and nutrients. Karen Defelice has done lots of work with this.

Here is a published article on DPP-IV:

Open Original Shared Link

There is another article in JAMA as well.

Be Well

Hoolie

Archived