This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick From Tuna Salad & Cabbage

CMCM

CMCM Rising Star

I made tuna salad last night (mayo, celery, onion, olives) and also had some cooked cabbage. Within an hour I had this horrible gnawing pain in my stomach, and then later started feeling really nauseated. It was like a gluten reaction I get sometimes. What could I have reacted to? Just a week ago I had corned beef and cabbage, no problem with the cabbage. The mayo (Trader Joe's organic) said "white vinegar"....could it have been that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

The vineager should not be a problem. Perhaps the tuna was out of date? Did someone double dip into the mayo? Did you read the label on the olives? ....just guessing.

But, remember, not all roads lead to gluten. Maybe it could be a stomach bug.

Kary Newbie
I made tuna salad last night (mayo, celery, onion, olives) and also had some cooked cabbage. Within an hour I had this horrible gnawing pain in my stomach, and then later started feeling really nauseated. It was like a gluten reaction I get sometimes. What could I have reacted to? Just a week ago I had corned beef and cabbage, no problem with the cabbage. The mayo (Trader Joe's organic) said "white vinegar"....could it have been that?

Could be eggs. I have that reaction to mayo. I switched to Vegenaise- gluten, dairy, egg free- but actually pretty good. Has a zing like Best Foods. Sorry you got sick :/

kabowman Explorer

Also, all the tuna I have found has some type of soy in it, either with the broth or water.

CMCM Rising Star

Well, I'm better today. I don't believe it was any sort of stomach bug, though. I've had this pain after eating many many times over the years, and it's horrible. However, it doesn't happen real frequently, thank goodness. A burning stabbing gnawing pain in my upper stomach, no comfortable position to get in. Plus last night I felt really nauseated and horrible in addition to the pain. I looked at the tuna...it's Costco's Kirkland and all it had on the ingredient list is white tuna, salt, pyrophosphate added (whatever that is!). I don't buy the foil packet tuna because it has so much gunk in it, including soy.

I wonder if it's the tuna....I wonder if I have problems with tuna for some reason. I don't eat it a lot, and I have a vague sense that it doesn't totally agree with me.

However, all this didn't cause anything of a digestive nature, no D or anything! :P

Michi8 Contributor
Well, I'm better today. I don't believe it was any sort of stomach bug, though. I've had this pain after eating many many times over the years, and it's horrible. However, it doesn't happen real frequently, thank goodness. A burning stabbing gnawing pain in my upper stomach, no comfortable position to get in. Plus last night I felt really nauseated and horrible in addition to the pain. I looked at the tuna...it's Costco's Kirkland and all it had on the ingredient list is white tuna, salt, pyrophosphate added (whatever that is!). I don't buy the foil packet tuna because it has so much gunk in it, including soy.

I wonder if it's the tuna....I wonder if I have problems with tuna for some reason. I don't eat it a lot, and I have a vague sense that it doesn't totally agree with me.

However, all this didn't cause anything of a digestive nature, no D or anything! :P

Have you considered it could be the onion? I've recently been having a hard time with raw onion (causes intense stomach pain)...I'm very disappointed that this is happening as onion is one of my favourites (in any variety & form - raw or cooked). :( It's not surprising to me either, however, since there is a family history of intolerance to onion.

Michelle

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Actually, depending on the source, I think it's 'malt' vinegar specifically that's wheat derived. Maybe it's a wierdo mayo brand?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Actually, depending on the source, I think it's 'malt' vinegar specifically that's wheat derived. Maybe it's a wierdo mayo brand?

Malt Vinegar is derived from barley, NOT wheat. She listed white vinegar, not malt vinegar...there is a world of difference.

I also have a hard time with raw onions. I have an issue when I brush my teeth before I go to bed, there is always a raw onion reactions. Need I say more..

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Malt Vinegar is derived from barley, NOT wheat. She listed white vinegar, not malt vinegar...there is a world of difference.

I also have a hard time with raw onions. I have an issue when I brush my teeth before I go to bed, there is always a raw onion reactions. Need I say more..

Oh, I missed that bit. Ever so sorry.....

zansu Rookie

Trader Joes Mayo is on their gluten-free list. Cross contamination from a gluten consuming family memebr not taken into consideration :rolleyes:

CMCM Rising Star

The mayo was Trader Joe's organic, which lists "white vinegar." Their other mayo (not organic) specifically says "apple cider vinegar" so it's safe.

Meanwhile, I am thinking it could possibly be the onions....I really love them, but still, yesterday I was out and had a burger (no bun of course) and I put a ton of raw onion on it and no problem at all.

So I'm still puzzled, but am leaning a bit towards a tuna problem.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Is it possible that you were reacting to something you ate earlier in the day? Maybe you're pinpointing the wrong meal...

goodlife Newbie

Your reaction could be to the tuna. Maybe you have a reaction to the amines in the tuna? I always wake up with a stuffy nose and slight headache the day after eating a tuna sandwich.

CMCM Rising Star

I really do wonder about tuna. For a long time I've had this vague sense that I don't feel real great after eating it....this is true of other fish too. I've never been a fish lover, and can go months and months without eating (or missing) it.

What are the "amines" you mentioned? I haven't heard this before.

Your reaction could be to the tuna. Maybe you have a reaction to the amines in the tuna? I always wake up with a stuffy nose and slight headache the day after eating a tuna sandwich.

Archived