- - - - -

Cbs News Report

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:33 AM

I don't know if anyone else heard the news report on the Adkins diet day before yesterday. but I was a little upset. They stated that some people who eat the lettuce wrapped hamburger act like the bun was poison. Well--duh!!!! To us the bun is poison. I guess we all need to have more education for the public. But it seems to me that sometimes when I mention the poison flours in a restaurant, eyes roll and no matter how diplomatic I am I get a negative responce. Has anyone else had this experience?? Shirley Whitley

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:52 PM

Bottom line Shirley, I think we need to educate everyone we come in contact with. I recently went to a Chinese rest and talked with the lady who took my order, she was very curious and asked me all sorts of questions, that was after I went to Life Grocery and talked to the cashier about Celiac there too. I had a great feeling, I felt like a couple more people found out about Celiac Disease!!!! Of course the next time I go out they may look at me like I am from another planet!!!

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:35 PM

Hi Shirley,
I guess some people have a hard time accepting that a "normal" food like a hamburger bun could be poison to someone. I am hoping that we can all make celiac disease a household word that everyone understands.
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 lucycampell55

lucycampell55

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:47 PM

I was only recently diagnosed with celiac disease but so far have found nothing but interest from people who hear me say I have to eat gluten-free. I've found that the first thing they ask is, "are you on that new diet". I just say no, I'm on a new life style. And then I explain what I mean.

Lucy :D

#5 kvogt

kvogt

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:00 AM

"Poison" is not a word most restaurant owners want to hear in association with their food. They get hot in a hurry!

#6 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:50 PM

It seems to me that everywhere that I go, people are more than happy to help if they can. I'm always a bit shy about asking for a burger without a bun (thank goodness for an outgoing and supportive husband), but when it's mentioned that I have celiac disease people ask questions and want to know more.

I've never had a single negative response, well...just the one lady that my Mom yelled at since the girl said that she'd have to have my sandwich made the normal way and I'd have to pull it off the bun myself. Mom got a little excited and informed the lady (a tad loudly) that I was allergic and that it can't have touched my chicken...and then all was understood.

Anyway, I'm making a short story long, people are very understanding when they know that you don't have much of a choice in the matter. I suspect that any unpleasantness you've gotten because of it would be simply (as previously mentioned) because of the use of the word "poison."

#7 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:10 AM

Shirley, I do know what you mean. Maybe it's because I have been dealing with these food allergies for over 50 years and have come across more people than a newly-diagnosed Celiac, but I, too, have had times when I ended up practically in tears after leaving the restaurant and not having someone understand.

As I am writing this I am thinking, why in Heaven's name would I think a waiter or waitress would understand this disease, when doctors are even uninformed about Celiac? That's why I like this board so much, because in responding I find out what I am really thinking and feeling, and I get new insights.

At this point there are two restaurants where I feel comfortable going, and I always order the same foods, but recently I did just that and ended up learning that a place I thought was safe, because I had previously tested the foods I was ordering that night, was NOT safe because they had hired a new cook, who smothered teriyaki sauce all over everything. I probably will not return there, because it was just too negative an experience and too disappointing.

Welda

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:25 AM

Hi All
We are Celiac Ambassadors taking our message to the unlearned about celiac disease. That's the only way the info is going to get across: by those affected with this condition.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

So right, Debmidge! I don't keep it secret, I tell everyone I know. The more people that know about it, the easier it will be for all of us.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:28 AM

Shirley,

I’ve been giving people the long answer lately about my diet. I tell them, “I have a genetic auto immune disease that destroys my intestines when I eat wheat, barley and rye. It is called Celiac Disease.” The “destroys my intestines” part usually gets their attention. Then they start asking more question.

#11 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

We just need to educate people about celiac disease. I e-mailed Oprah mag. to see if they would do a story on it. I didn't want to be in the story I am too shy but for those of you who aren't e-mail them and let them know how important it is. Maybe if they get a lot of letters they will see how important it is. If we can get oprah on our side a lot of people would know. She can really have influence on the way people think.
gluten-free since 2004!

#12 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:40 AM

Great idea KayJay!!! Anything Oprah endorses is as good as gold, I shall email them today. Thanks for the great idea!

Lily

#13 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:57 AM

KayJay and Lily,

I also took the time to post this letter to Oprah:

"The celiac disease epidemic is growing rapidly. I understand that such a story would upset many of your advertisers, but beer, bread and cookies, destroys the intestines of celiac victims. Greed is keeping this epidemic under wraps, and spreading the needless suffering from coast to coast. To have any child suffer malnutrition, simply because of greedy industry, is insane in this day and age. I invite you to read the unfolding story of this epidemic on the message board at celiac.com. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Thomas James Haller
Quintana Roo/TX/OR/NH"

I hoping it might get their attention. B)

#14 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:37 PM

Sounds good to me. Shirley

#15 kyss

kyss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:01 PM

KayJay,
I also emailed Oprah yesterday! I think we should all email her alot and maybe they will pick up the idea just to get us to quit bugging them. My sister and mother are both diagnosed with celiac disease..I have a biopsy at the end of this month, in a months time we have contacted all relatives and let them know. I was clueless or just in denial when my mom asked me to get tested...I am so glad I did for once in my life, now I may have a better life.

I work for pediatricians and at first the jokes started that I couldn't eat this or that because of the gluten...well, I think it was just their fear of the unknown because now that I talk with them I find I am educating them everytime I bring something up. They still joke about it, but I think they are better docs for knowing this is a real disease not a myth....So lets keep telling all who will listen....

Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: