5 replies to this topic

#1 rutland

rutland

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

After avoiding all the suspect foods for several months I decided to all back soy to my diet. My Chiropracter keeps telling me how good it is to make smoothies with berries, flax, and soy protein. I bought a packet of soy protein and decided to make it, and MAN, I feel awful. My heart started to race, my head hurt, and I felt depressed, like jumping out of my own skin. Its such an uncomfortable feeling. It like no matter what I wear or how I sit, Im uncomfortable.

Has anyone had this kind of reaction to soy? Im not touching it again.

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 super_sally888

super_sally888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

Soy can be allergenic for some people. It also has major effects on thyroid function for sensitive people (this would possibly explain the depression, racing heart, etc). You can read up on soy on the Weston A Price website (just type that into your browser).

If you are going to try soy again, stick to the unprocessed traditional foods (like tofu, tempeh), etc and in strict moderation. Soy milk and protein are concentrated. Fermented soy products (like soy sauce - if you can find one without the wheat) are supposed to be ok, cause the fermentation process destroys the harmful components...

I have hypothyroid so try to avoid soy all together (though once in a blue moon I do eat a bit of tofu, which I love.

Sally

After avoiding all the suspect foods for several months I decided to all back soy to my diet. My Chiropracter keeps telling me how good it is to make smoothies with berries, flax, and soy protein. I bought a packet of soy protein and decided to make it, and MAN, I feel awful. My heart started to race, my head hurt, and I felt depressed, like jumping out of my own skin. Its such an uncomfortable feeling. It like no matter what I wear or how I sit, Im uncomfortable.

Has anyone had this kind of reaction to soy? Im not touching it again.

Steph

Sally
Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish
___________________________________________________________________________________
Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.
Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)
Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment
IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)
Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed
Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)
Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

I used to eat a lot of soy. Tiger's Milk bars, roasted soy nuts, canned soybeans, vegetarian burgers and even Edamame. I developed a wacky thyroid problem where I'd go from from hyper to hypo and was really suffering. Then I read about the connection of soy to thyroid. I cut back on the soy. And as I did, my thyroid meds were also cut back. Only when I finally decided to eliminate it totally, save for the occasional product with soy lecithin in it, did I finally get off the thyriod meds! And no more symptoms like the racing heartbeat, overheating, brain fog, etc.

Daughter is allergic to soy so I generally try not to buy anything with it in there. But we both have an egg allergy as well, mine severe. Sometimes I have no choice but to buy something with lecithin in there and if I do, it's soy and not egg based.

#4 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:56 AM

Eating soy as a large part of your diet as a celiac is IMHO just asking for another intolerance.
I'm not rabidly anti-soy.... I just think its one of those things where if you start relying on it as a protein source its asking for trouble.

If it were me I'd take it as a warning shot and stay well away :D (I just try and moderate soy,)
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:57 AM

It is true, after we celiac's eliminate the gluten from our diets, usually soy is the next intolerance's to pop up. The only soy I get now is soy lecithin and in margarine--I try to buy butter, yet I do not like it as much. They say that many soy intolerant people can handle some of the oil, something about the heating process making it change--not sure anymore.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

It is true, after we celiac's eliminate the gluten from our diets, usually soy is the next intolerance's to pop up. The only soy I get now is soy lecithin and in margarine--I try to buy butter, yet I do not like it as much. They say that many soy intolerant people can handle some of the oil, something about the heating process making it change--not sure anymore.

I tested as soy intolerant (among other things). When I questioned Enterolab, they said they thought that soy lecithin would be OK. I assume this is because it wouldn't have any of the offending proteins. In my research, I've seen some say that soybean oil is OK. But other sites say that it depends on how the oil is derived from the beans. Too complicated -- I just avoid the stuff.

Even before I found I was soy intolerant -- I've read that it can be something with very subtle symptoms -- I cut out isolated soy proteins because I don't think they are healthy.

Since you (rutland) had a reaction -- to the soy or something else in the powder -- you might try eliminating soy for a few weeks (the stuff IS everywhere :blink: ) and see how you feel. I really wondered about my test result. Then, after a few weeks off soy, I found my, uh, body output to be downright normal and a couple other symptoms that I had no idea were food related cleared up. I accidentally challenged by taking a supplement that I had assumed was soy free and wasn't. My first clue was when the symptoms cropped up again. Stopped taking the supplement and everything was OK.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: