#1 Rebecca47

Rebecca47

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Well I will get right to the point. Here is the question TROPICANA ORANGE JUICE VIT -D AND CALICIUM ADDED!!

Well I just had some with my dinner which I know was ok nalleys gluten free chili and orida crispy frenc fries.

I pretty sure that the OJ is what made me sick as :( you know what. What is it with citric acid I think I read somewhere that it is not good for celiacs I really don't know or remember.

Anyone out there with an answer ? I haven't had this OJ in awhile and i really think it caused it. :angry:

So bloated I feel 7 months pregnant and I know thats not the case LOL :rolleyes:

Help please
[font=Comic Sans MS]Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006
Blood test, No Biopsy
IgA off the scale 44 now 3
IgG 56
(tTG) IgA 25 now 2
(tTG) IgG 1 now 1
now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007
Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006
As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions
Lactose Intolerence

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

I had heard that OJ fortified with calcium was a no-no. I don't know why though. The citric acid shouldn't be a problem as it is either derived from corn or lemon. We haven't had any in quite some time though. Citric acid is in many things that celiacs eat.

Hope this clears up quickly for you. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:17 AM

In reguards to Tropicana brand. They are sort of tricky to figure out. Last info that I have heard says that 100% juices from them are gluten-free.......if it isn't 100% then it is probably not. You might want to do a search of the board (put tropicana in the search box) and you will come up with tons of info. The most recent post on it that I found was here: http://www.glutenfre...mp;hl=tropicana

Also, calling/writing the company is the best way to find out the status on a product. You can send them a quick e-mail. Let us know what you find out.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

Citric acid is yet another old celiac urban legend foisted on us by who knows who. Citric acid is gluten-free.

richard

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

According to the Food Labeling Law of 2006, all companies must disclose any wheat used in their products. The chances of barley or malt in OJ is slim.

#6 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

I heard that Tropicana was not gluten free. In fact on kind of oj my mom had said malodextrin or something like that.

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:27 AM

Maltodextrin really is not a concern. Not only is it virtually always gluten-free in the U.S., if it IS derived from wheat, it must clearly list it. This was the law for maltodextrin even before the current allergen law.

richard

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

I finally got a reply from Tropicana, I knew from my own experience that much of what they make is not safe. Only the juices that say they are 100% just juice are okay. I got very, very ill from a lemonade they make called 'Simply Lemonade' so make sure you read the ingredients and not just the label.

Their reply:

We're sorry the information you were looking for was not available on
the Tropicana website. We'll be sure to pass along your comments to
our
webmasters.

That said-- although we don't have a list, we're happy to tell you all
Tropicana products that are 100% juice, including Fruit Wise, are
gluten free. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that gluten is not
present
in products that are less than 100% juice.

You can easily determine if a Tropicana product is 100% juice by
looking for the Nutrition Facts Panel on the package; the percentage of
juice
is located just above that panel. We do our best to provide accurate
information so that you can make informed choices about the products
you
purchase.

We hope this information is helpful, Krista. Thanks for your interest
in our products and for taking the time to contact us.

Cathy
Tropicana Consumer Response
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

If you drank the orange juice with dinner or after dinner, I would guess it's just the juice, not a gluten reaction. If I drink fruit juice, I drink it away from food, or before a meal. Chili and OJ would have made me feel bad with no gluten!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#10 Nic

Nic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:57 AM

Are the Ore Ida crispy fries safe? For some reason I thought the crispy one were not safe.

Nicole

#11 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

This is a list that I got a couple of weeks ago from the manufacturer. The following are gluten-free:

ORE-IDA PRODUCTS:
UPC CODE: PRODUCT NAME:
13120XXXXX- ALL VARIETIES of Ore-Ida® Tater Tots®
1312000080 Ore-Ida Golden Patties® (9 ct.)
1312000198 Ore-Ida® Snackin' Fries ™ (10.5 oz.)
1312000258 Ore-Ida® Golden Fries® (32 oz.)
1312000278 Ore-Ida® Golden Fries® (5 lb.)
1312000286 Ore-Ida® Golden Crinkles® (32 oz.)
1312000291 Ore-Ida® Golden Crinkles® (5 lb.)
1312000296 Ore-Ida® Pixie Crinkles (26 oz.)
1312000377 Ore-Ida® Cottage Fries (32 oz.)
1312000392 Ore-Ida® Southern Style Hash Browns (32 oz.)
1312001417 Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries (26 oz.)
1312000469 Ore-Ida® Potatoes O'Brien (28 oz.)
1312000647 Ore-Ida® French Fries (8 lb.)
1312000654 Ore-Ida® Country Style Hashbrowns (6 lb.)
1312000801 Ore-Ida® Shoestrings® (5 lb)
1312000809 Ore-Ida® Crunch Time Classics Straight Cut (24 oz.)
1312000810 Ore-Ida® Crunch Time Classics Crinkle Cut (24 oz.)
1312000828 Ore-Ida® Shoestrings® (28 oz.)
1312000829 Ore-Ida® Shoestrings® (40 oz.)
1312000833 Ore-Ida® Country Style Hashbrowns (30 oz.)
1312000845 Ore-Ida® Deep Fries Crinkle Cuts (24 oz.)
1312000854 Ore-Ida® Hash Browns (5 lb.)
1312000862 Ore-Ida® Country Style Hashbrowns (6 lb.)
1312001012 Ore-Ida® Potato Wedges with Skins (24 oz.)
1312001190 Ore-Ida® Steak Fries (3.75 lb.)
1312008564 Ore-Ida® Golden Crinkles® (8 lb.)
1312008565 Ore-Ida® Golden Fries® (8 lb.)
1312008572 Ore-Ida® Golden Crinkles® (8 lb.)

Hope this helps.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#12 Jonah

Jonah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

Hi Rebecca47,

I saw your post and think I can add some light to the problem.
I have experienced this same thing and after seeing what exactly you ate, I can see why you were bloated - and the answer isn't gluten at all. I suggest the problem lies with a sensitive/weakened digestive system and a bad food combination.

The digestive enzymes required to break down beans and the ones required to digest fruit aren't very compatible, and having them both at the same meal weakens your body's digestive capability. What happens is that instead of being quietly broken down, a process of fermentation begins, producing loads of gas and discomfort.

Most food-combining information I have seen seems to suggest fruit be eaten a minimum of 30 mins before a meal or a minimum of one hour, preferrably two afterward. This is because of the rapid speed fruit is naturally broken down compared to the slower rate of proteins and complex carbohydrates. I wouldn't be surprised if you also felt exhausted shortly after eating.

Because of our already touchy systems, I recommend you read up on food-combining. Small things can help quite a bit. imagine you could reproduce the results of your meal by adding any number of fruits or fruit juices. Since I learned about this, I never have gas problems with beans. Food combining opinions differ.. I stick to some, others I ignore because I don't want to live on boring meals, but that fruit one's worked well for me.

I hope some of this helps :)
P.S. I had the exact same problem in the past. Strengthening my digestion with apple cider vinegar and glutamic acid helped, also.

#13 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

I know that I can't drink OJ because it is wayyy to acidic. It is really hard on my stomach. This and chilli...like someone said...OUCH! I don't think it's the gluten problem, but probably the fact that oj is really acidic.

Kassandra
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#14 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:27 AM

----
I REALLY SHOULDN'T COMPUTE BEFORE COFFEE. SORRY FOR THE REDUNDANT POST BELOW. I HADN'T READ THE REST OF THE CONVERSATION.
----
Our local Celiac group sent out a warning last June about the enhanced juices. Below are the responses they received from Tropicana:

TROPICANA PRODUCTS. Thank you for contacting us about a Tropicana Product. We do our best to provide accurate information so that you can make informed choices about the products you purchase. All Tropicana products that are 100% juice, including Fruit Wise, are gluten free. Unfortunately, for products that are less than 100% juice, we cannot guarantee that gluten is not present. You can easily determine if a Tropicana product is 100% juice by looking for the Nutrition Facts Panel on the package; the percentage of juice is located just above that panel. Theresa Tropicana Consumer Response.

Their website says it's 100% juice but Calcium and vit D are not part of regular OJ. I'd ask the Tropicana people about it. http://www.tropicana...S_ContactUS.cfm

Let us know what you find out.
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

#15 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

I know that I can't drink OJ because it is wayyy to acidic. It is really hard on my stomach. This and chilli...like someone said...OUCH! I don't think it's the gluten problem, but probably the fact that oj is really acidic.

Kassandra

If OJ is too acidic, you might want to try something I've gotten hooked on -- OJ & sparkling water. It makes a great drink and it's much healthier than sodas.
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: