Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Orange Juice

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Well I will get right to the point. Here is the question TROPICANA ORANGE JUICE VIT -D AND CALICIUM ADDED!!

Well I just had some with my dinner which I know was ok nalleys gluten free chili and orida crispy frenc fries.

I pretty sure that the OJ is what made me sick as :( you know what. What is it with citric acid I think I read somewhere that it is not good for celiacs I really don't know or remember.

Anyone out there with an answer ? I haven't had this OJ in awhile and i really think it caused it. :angry:

So bloated I feel 7 months pregnant and I know thats not the case LOL :rolleyes:

Help please

Ads by Google:

I had heard that OJ fortified with calcium was a no-no. I don't know why though. The citric acid shouldn't be a problem as it is either derived from corn or lemon. We haven't had any in quite some time though. Citric acid is in many things that celiacs eat.

Hope this clears up quickly for you. :(

In reguards to Tropicana brand. They are sort of tricky to figure out. Last info that I have heard says that 100% juices from them are gluten-free.......if it isn't 100% then it is probably not. You might want to do a search of the board (put tropicana in the search box) and you will come up with tons of info. The most recent post on it that I found was here: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;hl=tropicana

Also, calling/writing the company is the best way to find out the status on a product. You can send them a quick e-mail. Let us know what you find out.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Citric acid is yet another old celiac urban legend foisted on us by who knows who. Citric acid is gluten-free.

richard

According to the Food Labeling Law of 2006, all companies must disclose any wheat used in their products. The chances of barley or malt in OJ is slim.

I heard that Tropicana was not gluten free. In fact on kind of oj my mom had said malodextrin or something like that.

Maltodextrin really is not a concern. Not only is it virtually always gluten-free in the U.S., if it IS derived from wheat, it must clearly list it. This was the law for maltodextrin even before the current allergen law.

richard

I finally got a reply from Tropicana, I knew from my own experience that much of what they make is not safe. Only the juices that say they are 100% just juice are okay. I got very, very ill from a lemonade they make called 'Simply Lemonade' so make sure you read the ingredients and not just the label.

Their reply:

We're sorry the information you were looking for was not available on

the Tropicana website. We'll be sure to pass along your comments to

our

webmasters.

That said-- although we don't have a list, we're happy to tell you all

Tropicana products that are 100% juice, including Fruit Wise, are

gluten free. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that gluten is not

present

in products that are less than 100% juice.

You can easily determine if a Tropicana product is 100% juice by

looking for the Nutrition Facts Panel on the package; the percentage of

juice

is located just above that panel. We do our best to provide accurate

information so that you can make informed choices about the products

you

purchase.

We hope this information is helpful, Krista. Thanks for your interest

in our products and for taking the time to contact us.

Cathy

Tropicana Consumer Response

If you drank the orange juice with dinner or after dinner, I would guess it's just the juice, not a gluten reaction. If I drink fruit juice, I drink it away from food, or before a meal. Chili and OJ would have made me feel bad with no gluten!

Are the Ore Ida crispy fries safe? For some reason I thought the crispy one were not safe.

Nicole

This is a list that I got a couple of weeks ago from the manufacturer. The following are gluten-free:

ORE-IDA PRODUCTS:

UPC CODE: PRODUCT NAME:

13120XXXXX- ALL VARIETIES of Ore-Ida

Hi Rebecca47,

I saw your post and think I can add some light to the problem.

I have experienced this same thing and after seeing what exactly you ate, I can see why you were bloated - and the answer isn't gluten at all. I suggest the problem lies with a sensitive/weakened digestive system and a bad food combination.

The digestive enzymes required to break down beans and the ones required to digest fruit aren't very compatible, and having them both at the same meal weakens your body's digestive capability. What happens is that instead of being quietly broken down, a process of fermentation begins, producing loads of gas and discomfort.

Most food-combining information I have seen seems to suggest fruit be eaten a minimum of 30 mins before a meal or a minimum of one hour, preferrably two afterward. This is because of the rapid speed fruit is naturally broken down compared to the slower rate of proteins and complex carbohydrates. I wouldn't be surprised if you also felt exhausted shortly after eating.

Because of our already touchy systems, I recommend you read up on food-combining. Small things can help quite a bit. imagine you could reproduce the results of your meal by adding any number of fruits or fruit juices. Since I learned about this, I never have gas problems with beans. Food combining opinions differ.. I stick to some, others I ignore because I don't want to live on boring meals, but that fruit one's worked well for me.

I hope some of this helps :)

P.S. I had the exact same problem in the past. Strengthening my digestion with apple cider vinegar and glutamic acid helped, also.

I know that I can't drink OJ because it is wayyy to acidic. It is really hard on my stomach. This and chilli...like someone said...OUCH! I don't think it's the gluten problem, but probably the fact that oj is really acidic.

Kassandra

----

I REALLY SHOULDN'T COMPUTE BEFORE COFFEE. SORRY FOR THE REDUNDANT POST BELOW. I HADN'T READ THE REST OF THE CONVERSATION.

----

Our local Celiac group sent out a warning last June about the enhanced juices. Below are the responses they received from Tropicana:

TROPICANA PRODUCTS. Thank you for contacting us about a Tropicana Product. We do our best to provide accurate information so that you can make informed choices about the products you purchase. All Tropicana products that are 100% juice, including Fruit Wise, are gluten free.
Unfortunately, for products that are less than 100% juice, we cannot guarantee that gluten is not present.
You can easily determine if a Tropicana product is 100% juice by looking for the Nutrition Facts Panel on the package; the percentage of juice is located just above that panel. Theresa Tropicana Consumer Response.

Their website says it's 100% juice but Calcium and vit D are not part of regular OJ. I'd ask the Tropicana people about it. http://www.tropicana.com/TRP_ContactUs/Con...S_ContactUS.cfm

Let us know what you find out.

I know that I can't drink OJ because it is wayyy to acidic. It is really hard on my stomach. This and chilli...like someone said...OUCH! I don't think it's the gluten problem, but probably the fact that oj is really acidic.

Kassandra

If OJ is too acidic, you might want to try something I've gotten hooked on -- OJ & sparkling water. It makes a great drink and it's much healthier than sodas.