Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My First Post- About My Son

27 posts in this topic

My son always loved oyster crackers -- lived on them. The first months out of the hospital, I couldn't even be in the same aisle in the grocery store as those crackers. When I eventually did, I cried like a lunatic, right there in the store. And it felt good.

The school is legally obligated to accomodate your son. You will find, however, that is simply easier to send his food. But you aren't ready to be dealing with all this right now. I know it is so overwhelming, and depressing to think of all the stuff he's missing. To feel like you are going to "poison" him by accident, or someone else might. But believe me, you are blessed that he isn't suffering from an incurable, untreatable, degenerative illness, or one that requires dangerous medicine or therapy. I kept telling myself that over and over.

There are still lots of things he CAN eat. And what he eats is only a very small part of who he is. We try to tell our son "well, this sucks, but it's what we got, so we aren't going to let it ruin our lives". I learned to make gluten-free pizza. I learned to think creatively. I learned to never apologize for not letting him eat things, and I learned that we can do whatever we want as long as we figure out a new way to do it. (I do so miss spontaneous trips!) I learned to order MCd burgers without the bun (why do they call it a muffin?)!!! YOU WILL GET THERE!

Hang in there, you are doing fine so far. When you are ready, try Miss Roben's ---a multiple-allergy vendor on the web at www.missrobens.com . Some of our new favorite foods come from there.

Joanna

mom to a son with: celiac, egg allergy, and autoimmune enteropathy: rare disease where his body tries to reject his small intestine. Lost 25 pounds in 4 months; weighed 48 pounds at 10 yrs/hospital admission for 7 weeks, recovery for 4 months --- weighs 72 pounds and DOING GREAT!

Ads by Google:

The gluten free pantry has a pretty good pizza crust I bought a seperate crust cutter for it. I use it as bread. Tastes pretty good crunchy from the oven.