15 replies to this topic

#1 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

The magazine "Everyday Food" by Martha Stewart Living has a recipe in it this month for Flourless Fudge Cake. It just calls for butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, confectioners sugar and orange-flavoured liqueur. I'm not too big on the chocolate-orange thing, so I got some raspberry liqueur instead. I'm having some friends over next week and I'm going to make it. Somehow I feel better feeding them a gluten-free dish that I can say "look, it's from Martha Stewart!", makes me feel like I'm not trying to cop some crappy facsimile of "real" dessert on them. Anyhow, will let you know how it turns out, or you might want to pick up a copy of the current issue. It also has a recipe for egg rolls that I'm going to try with rice wrappers......
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 delawaregirl

delawaregirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

The magazine "Everyday Food" by Martha Stewart Living has a recipe in it this month for Flourless Fudge Cake. It just calls for butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, confectioners sugar and orange-flavoured liqueur. I'm not too big on the chocolate-orange thing, so I got some raspberry liqueur instead. I'm having some friends over next week and I'm going to make it. Somehow I feel better feeding them a gluten-free dish that I can say "look, it's from Martha Stewart!", makes me feel like I'm not trying to cop some crappy facsimile of "real" dessert on them. Anyhow, will let you know how it turns out, or you might want to pick up a copy of the current issue. It also has a recipe for egg rolls that I'm going to try with rice wrappers......

#3 delawaregirl

delawaregirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

Did you try the cake and if so how was it?

#4 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I made the cake! It is TO DIE FOR! It is sooooo chocolately and delicious. It's so nice to have a few yummy desserts you can count on :D
LORI

#5 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Can you post the recipe pleeeese ? I don't think the mag is available here in Australia.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#6 Sarah8793

Sarah8793

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

Somehow I feel better feeding them a gluten-free dish that I can say "look, it's from Martha Stewart!", makes me feel like I'm not trying to cop some crappy facsimile of "real" dessert on them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I feel the same way! Thanks for sharing this!
Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work
2 negative biopsies over 4 year period
Postive EnteroLab results
Lactose/Casein Intolerant
Gluten free since May 2006
Soy free since May 2007

#7 GlutenFreeGirlie

GlutenFreeGirlie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

I think this is the right recipe. I haven't tried it, but really want to now that I've read the post! From Everyday Food, Martha Stewart.com:

Flourless Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
Serving: Serves 8
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
8 Ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees; with the rack in the center. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove sides of pan. Serve at room temperature, dusted with confectionersí sugar. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

#8 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

.....I think this is the right recipe. I haven't tried it, but really want to now that I've read the post! From Everyday Food, Martha Stewart.com:

gfg,

This is a different recipe than the original post.

best regards,lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#9 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:22 PM

Can't remember which magazine I cut it out from, but I think it was Family Circle? They have a recipe for a flourless Chocolate Cake too. Similar to this one, but slight variations.

:) Hoping to try soon :D

#10 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:31 AM

I used to work with the nephew of the Publisher of Martha Stewart Living, and would always bother him to talk to her about asking editorial to do recipes or features on gluten free.

He said he did but I don't know if he did. I don't think so.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#11 GlutenFreeGirlie

GlutenFreeGirlie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

gfg,

This is a different recipe than the original post.

best regards,lm

Sorry for the confusion guys! I thought I was being helpful. ;) Maybe the one I posted would be good too.

#12 holiday16

holiday16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

I made the recipe posted here last night and it turned out well. A bit rich for my tastes, but my parents and dh loved it. I think it tastes much better served with a whipped topping than without. It was much easier to make than I would have expected and while I wouldn't make it often I'm keeping the recipe on hand! I used the bittersweet choc. rather than semi and a double boiler to melt it and the butter rather than the microwave. I also used chips instead of chopping up the choc. I hate chopping choc. since it makes such a mess. If you wanted to make it for company some choc. curls on top of the whipped topping would give it a nice touch. I also thought it might taste good with a cherry filling over the top and then whipped topping on top of that, but have not tried it yet.

#13 Juliet

Juliet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

I know that some recipes call for bar chocolate instead of chips since the chips have a bit of a coating to keep them from sticking together. So melted chips are not quite as smooth as melted bars. But I doubt you'd notice that much of a difference in this cake. But you do notice a difference when making things like chocolate truffles or sauces.

#14 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

OK, here it is.

Source: Everyday Food magazine, April 2007

FLOURLESS FUDGE CAKE

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan and parchment paper
unsweetened cocoa powder for pan
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons orange flavoured liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
confectioners sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 300. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper; butter parchment. Dust paper and sides of pan with cocoa powder, tapping out excess.
2. In a heatproof bowl, set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in liqueur. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar until pale and doubled in volume, about 6 minutes. Stir in chocolate mixture.
3. In another bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining granulated sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Whisk half the whites into chocolate mixture, then gently fold in remaining half.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan and centre is just set, 45-50 min. On a wrie rack cool completely in pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours our up to overnight. To serve, run a metal spatula around edge of pan, and unmold cake; dust with confectioners sugar.

I modified mine by using raspberry liqueur and serving with fresh raspberries on top. YUMMY!
LORI

#15 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:37 AM

Thanks so much for sharing!! I will be making this for sure! :)
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times