Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Not Pregnant = Lactose Intolerant

6 posts in this topic

Anyone else experience this or know of it?

I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm pregnant I find I can have dairy products and not get any of the usual side effects (stomach upset, headache)

I guess it's something so that the baby gets more calcium? :P

Ads by Google:

pregnancy can do all kinds of interesting things. i've had my atopic dermatitis clear significantly and my vision improve.

Anyone else experience this or know of it?

I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm pregnant I find I can have dairy products and not get any of the usual side effects (stomach upset, headache)

I guess it's something so that the baby gets more calcium? :P

Your symptoms may have just changed and you don't recognize them. If you've always been lactose intolerant I wouldn't consider it safe for you or the baby to suddenly start consuming dairy now. And it is a complete myth that you get calcium from milk. The pasteurization process destroys the enzymes needed to utilize the calcium in milk for the human bodies.

Please do yourself and your unborn baby a favour and stop having dairy. It does NOT do a body good!

I had the exact same thing happen when I was pregnant. It was before I knew anything about celiac or any other kind of food intolerances and how dramatically they can effect your body.

Nancy

This is an educated guess ... your body's immune system lowers during pregnancy so that it doesn't attack the baby as being foreign. I would guess that this lowered immune system is making you less senstive to lactose.

I know what I'd do, though Ursa Major is probably right ... I'd eat as much Haagen Dazs as I could! ;):lol:

This is an educated guess ... your body's immune system lowers during pregnancy so that it doesn't attack the baby as being foreign. I would guess that this lowered immune system is making you less senstive to lactose.

I would vote for this as well. When I'm not pregnant and I get glutened I feel terrible. I get the intestinal symptoms along with migraine type headaches, anxiety, reflux and it lasts for a while. The couple of times I've gotten glutened when pregnant I was almost not sure what happened. One time I had D for a week, but that was all and another time I just had it for a day with no other symptoms. My gluten reaction is definitely a lot less than it is when I'm not pregnant.