5 replies to this topic

#1 tracey*

tracey*

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

Anyone else experience this or know of it?

I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm pregnant I find I can have dairy products and not get any of the usual side effects (stomach upset, headache)

I guess it's something so that the baby gets more calcium? :P
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:17 AM

pregnancy can do all kinds of interesting things. i've had my atopic dermatitis clear significantly and my vision improve.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

Anyone else experience this or know of it?

I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm pregnant I find I can have dairy products and not get any of the usual side effects (stomach upset, headache)

I guess it's something so that the baby gets more calcium? :P

Your symptoms may have just changed and you don't recognize them. If you've always been lactose intolerant I wouldn't consider it safe for you or the baby to suddenly start consuming dairy now. And it is a complete myth that you get calcium from milk. The pasteurization process destroys the enzymes needed to utilize the calcium in milk for the human bodies.

Please do yourself and your unborn baby a favour and stop having dairy. It does NOT do a body good!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

I had the exact same thing happen when I was pregnant. It was before I knew anything about celiac or any other kind of food intolerances and how dramatically they can effect your body.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#5 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

This is an educated guess ... your body's immune system lowers during pregnancy so that it doesn't attack the baby as being foreign. I would guess that this lowered immune system is making you less senstive to lactose.

I know what I'd do, though Ursa Major is probably right ... I'd eat as much Haagen Dazs as I could! ;) :lol:
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#6 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:27 AM

This is an educated guess ... your body's immune system lowers during pregnancy so that it doesn't attack the baby as being foreign. I would guess that this lowered immune system is making you less senstive to lactose.

I would vote for this as well. When I'm not pregnant and I get glutened I feel terrible. I get the intestinal symptoms along with migraine type headaches, anxiety, reflux and it lasts for a while. The couple of times I've gotten glutened when pregnant I was almost not sure what happened. One time I had D for a week, but that was all and another time I just had it for a day with no other symptoms. My gluten reaction is definitely a lot less than it is when I'm not pregnant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: