This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Pregnant = Lactose Intolerant

tracey*

tracey* Rookie

Anyone else experience this or know of it?

I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm pregnant I find I can have dairy products and not get any of the usual side effects (stomach upset, headache)

I guess it's something so that the baby gets more calcium? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

pregnancy can do all kinds of interesting things. i've had my atopic dermatitis clear significantly and my vision improve.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Anyone else experience this or know of it?

I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm pregnant I find I can have dairy products and not get any of the usual side effects (stomach upset, headache)

I guess it's something so that the baby gets more calcium? :P

Your symptoms may have just changed and you don't recognize them. If you've always been lactose intolerant I wouldn't consider it safe for you or the baby to suddenly start consuming dairy now. And it is a complete myth that you get calcium from milk. The pasteurization process destroys the enzymes needed to utilize the calcium in milk for the human bodies.

Please do yourself and your unborn baby a favour and stop having dairy. It does NOT do a body good!

Nantzie Collaborator

I had the exact same thing happen when I was pregnant. It was before I knew anything about celiac or any other kind of food intolerances and how dramatically they can effect your body.

Nancy

CarlaB Enthusiast

This is an educated guess ... your body's immune system lowers during pregnancy so that it doesn't attack the baby as being foreign. I would guess that this lowered immune system is making you less senstive to lactose.

I know what I'd do, though Ursa Major is probably right ... I'd eat as much Haagen Dazs as I could! ;):lol:

Guest cassidy
This is an educated guess ... your body's immune system lowers during pregnancy so that it doesn't attack the baby as being foreign. I would guess that this lowered immune system is making you less senstive to lactose.

I would vote for this as well. When I'm not pregnant and I get glutened I feel terrible. I get the intestinal symptoms along with migraine type headaches, anxiety, reflux and it lasts for a while. The couple of times I've gotten glutened when pregnant I was almost not sure what happened. One time I had D for a week, but that was all and another time I just had it for a day with no other symptoms. My gluten reaction is definitely a lot less than it is when I'm not pregnant.

Archived