6 replies to this topic

#1 newyorkdave

newyorkdave

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

Hi, I'm embarking on the latest attempt to stick to the gluten-free diet. The question is:

WHICH vitamins should I take that

A) repair whatever gluten has damaged?
B) make the process more bearable?
C) provide me with whatever I USED to get from bread/wheat that is beneficial?

I know there's someone on here who can help.

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

If you eat a varied diet, of fresh foods, there shouldn't be anything in bread/wheat that you can't get. Wheat, on it's own, isn't even as nutritious as other good gluten free grains like quinoa and amaranth. One thing that can be an issue for celiacs is getting enough folic acid, which most commercial wheat products (bread, breakfast cereal, flour, and pasta, anyway) are fortified with. As long as you're eating a variety of fresh foods. Foods high in folate (the naturally occuring version of folic acid) include spinach, broccoli, beets, oranges, bananas, legumes, peas, almonds, sweet potatoes, and egg yolks.

For coverage, I take a daily multivitamin as well as a calcium/magnesium and B-vit supplement. (There are specific reasons for the last two items, however - migraines, menstrual cramps, and risk factors for osteoporosis.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Make sure you find a vitamin that is gluten free. Vitamins and medications do not follow the same guidelines as food. I use Nature Made brand, it tells on the box or bottle if it is gluten free. There are others too, I prefer this brand. I think all celiac's should take a good B Complex also. I take B12 and folic acid. I have peripheral neuropathy and use 2400mcg of B12 daily.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 GlutenWrangler

GlutenWrangler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

The best way to get nutrients is to eat a balanced, healthy diet. Try to avoid processed foods. Fresh meats, fruits and veggies are best. It's even better if you can afford organic products. You're really not missing anything from wheat and bread. Fresh foods contain everything you need. For gut repair, take L-Glutamine Jarrow Brand is gluten-free. Probiotics help to restore normal gut flora. I use HLC probiotics, as there is nothing else out there more powerful. I also use Threelac for candida overgrowth. Both are excellent products. Many people also use digestive enzymes. They help to complement the pancreas in digestion. Many celiacs have impaired pancreatic function, so digestive enzymes can help. The aforementioned B-Complex is also helpful, as B-Vitamins are depleted in times of physical stress. My nutritionist also has me taking calcium and magnesium supplements. But that's about it. Good luck.

-Brian
Celiac Sprue
Multiple Food Allergies
Diagnosed June 2006
Stopped Eating June 2007
IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

#5 Hoolie

Hoolie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hi, I'm embarking on the latest attempt to stick to the gluten-free diet. The question is:

WHICH vitamins should I take that

A) repair whatever gluten has damaged?
B) make the process more bearable?
C) provide me with whatever I USED to get from bread/wheat that is beneficial?

I know there's someone on here who can help.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I have had good luck with Pioneer Vitamins, which are gluten-free. Probiotics and zinc will also help with gut repair and as someone said earlier Glutamine is good for soft tissue repair. Enzymedica enzymes are all gluten-free. The combo of probioitcs, enzymes, a good multi and really paying attention to eating good quality food made a big difference.

When I first went gluten-free I didn't realize it, but I stopped eating enough carbs. since I'm pretty active, this left me feeling sort of weak and spacey all the time. I get more rice and fruit in and I can keep up with the excercise.

Good luck!

#6 Weeber47

Weeber47

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

I too am wondering, there are many articles on the internet about that people should take many vitamins like a multi, A, K, E, B 12 etc..is this true and really needed?

Diagnosed with Celiacs January 2013

Gallbladder Removed May 2013

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I too am wondering, there are many articles on the internet about that people should take many vitamins like a multi, A, K, E, B 12 etc..is this true and really needed?

This topic is six years old. Information may be out of date, and most of the participants in the discussion are no longer active on the board. Tiffany (tarnalberry) is the exception--she is still here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: