25 replies to this topic

#1 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

This article talks about how bacterial overgrowth may account for some cases of IBS (not "IBS" as in I'm basically stumped but in IBS that persists despite a gluten-free diet or treatment for another gastro disorder. Remember when ulcers were caused by stress? :rolleyes:

http://www.usc.edu/u...ries/10460.html
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

Bev,

I think alternative doctors have been aware of dysbiosis (too much bad bacteria...too little good bacteria) being the cause of gastro illness and other disease for quite some time now.

I think mainstream might finally be catching on. :o
I saw it on the news a couple weeks ago...they were talking about how they *think* that IBS may be caused by bacteria overgrowth. :huh:

I dont think alternative medicine uses the term "IBS" though...basically dysbiosis causes symptoms of disease.....whether its gastro related or otherwise.

I'm not too big a fan of mainstream medicine these days and I had to laugh at their lastest and greatest "discovery". :rolleyes:
Rachel

#3 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

interested in this
getting the written report from hydrogen test tomorrow and let you know what it says
hope we get some more imput.
thanks..hi rachel
Judy in Southern CA

#4 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:41 AM

Bev,

I think alternative doctors have been aware of dysbiosis (too much bad bacteria...too little good bacteria) being the cause of gastro illness and other disease for quite some time now.

I think mainstream might finally be catching on. :o
I saw it on the news a couple weeks ago...they were talking about how they *think* that IBS may be caused by bacteria overgrowth. :huh:

I dont think alternative medicine uses the term "IBS" though...basically dysbiosis causes symptoms of disease.....whether its gastro related or otherwise.

I'm not too big a fan of mainstream medicine these days and I had to laugh at their lastest and greatest "discovery". :rolleyes:

Rachel- I hear ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't blame you for laughing!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:42 AM

Dr. Mark Pimentel in CA has done some work on this. I think he is def onto something, but his studies have been flawed. However, it is an overlooked reason for IBS symptoms.

I have the book on it, in case anyone wants it. :) I was tested for it last year .... of course, negative.

#6 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

Dr. Mark Pimentel in CA has done some work on this. I think he is def onto something, but his studies have been flawed. However, it is an overlooked reason for IBS symptoms.

I have the book on it, in case anyone wants it. :) I was tested for it last year .... of course, negative.

HI LAURA AND THANKS...

READ HIS PERSONAL PAPER SENT TO MY GI......READ IN GASTRO JOURNAL........READING OTHER RESPONCES TO HIS DATA..........SO GETTING INFO ON THIS.

THIS DR. IS THE PERSONAL FRIEND OF MY GI AND IS WHAT SHE WANTS ME TO FOLLOW 'EVEN THO' THE BREATH TEST ONLY SHOWED 1 POINT IN THE LOW RANGE OF POSITIVE.

NOT THE 200 MG DOSE..BUT 400 mgs 3X/x a day :ph34r: :blink:

I'VE HAD NO 'D' SINCE GOING OFF DAIRY AND CASEIN. HER APT ON MARCH 14TH RESULTED IN MY OWN 'CLINICAL TRIAL' gluten-free HOT FUDGE SUNDAY WITH W/CREAM AND NUTS.

BOWEL MUST BE HEALING..AS FIND AFTER AND ALL NITE AND IN AM 2 NORNAL STOOLS..

17 'TRIPS' TO BATH ROOM AND WATER BY NOON..................IT'S PROOF TO ME....

IDEAS????
JUDY
Judy in Southern CA

#7 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

lAURA
DO YOU HAVE THE BOOK HE WROTE ON IBS?
IS THAT THE ONE YOU MEANT?

IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF IT....I'LL GADLY ACCEPT IT......OR
DO YOU NOT WANT IT CAUSE IT ISN'T VALID YOU YOUR OPINION........THEN IN THAT CASE...WITH YOU BEING THE RESEARCHER YOU ARE................I'LL SKIP IT.
READ SO MUCH ON IT YEARS AGO BUT KNOW THE INFO IS CHANGING.
THANKS JUDY
Judy in Southern CA

#8 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:41 PM

laura- You tested negative? Ugh! have they figured anymore out about what's going on with you.

My test got moved up to this Tuesday and I'm hoping this is a piece of the puzzle.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#9 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

Bev, I have been tested for EVERYTHING. :). multiple endos, colonoscopies, barium swallows, ultrasounds, HIDA gallbladder scan, celiac blood panel, gene tested, bloodwork out the wazoo, more urine and stool samples than I care to count, bacterial overgrowth, ... etc. Remember? I had the "best"---NIH and Johns Hopkins, after much of the above testing done in VB. ;)

I requested to have it done in September, before I moved. Everything except my Lyme and co-infections tests have been negative...hence, thats what I've been dx'ed with and now treating.

#10 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

After my first visit with my new GI, he ordered blood, urine, & stool samples to find out what was wrong with me (and causing my chronic diarrhea). I then started taking XIFAXAN™ (rifaximin), a special non-systemic (so it stays in your gut) antibiotic to supress bacterial overgrowth in travelers diarrhea. It's pretty expensive and he had me on what I thought to be a double dose, so cost me twice as much.

Actually thought it was working at first. Of course it couldn't, because I had undiagnosed celiac disease. Took it for a month, till my supply ran out, but it was a waste of time and money.

I'm guessing it would be very effective for travelers diarrhea though.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#11 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

IM
Thanks so much for taking the time to post.
I have a bottle beside me..I am to take the double dose also....but....by the time I got in to the GI apt after waiting 3 1/2 months to get it.--the 'd' was gone!

The hydrogen breath test showed only a POINT above the norm for dx'ing it. I have no 'd' now since I went off diary and casein 7 weeks ago.
go figure. :blink:
did you have the test too?
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

IM
Thanks so much for taking the time to post.
I have a bottle beside me..I am to take the double dose also....but....by the time I got in to the GI apt after waiting 3 1/2 months to get it.--the 'd' was gone!
The hydrogen breath test showed only a POINT above the norm for dx'ing it. I have no 'd' now since I went off diary and casein 7 weeks ago.
go figure. :blink:
did you have the test too?
judy

No. There was never any mention of it. lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:42 AM

Bev, I have been tested for EVERYTHING. :). multiple endos, colonoscopies, barium swallows, ultrasounds, HIDA gallbladder scan, celiac blood panel, gene tested, bloodwork out the wazoo, more urine and stool samples than I care to count, bacterial overgrowth, ... etc. Remember? I had the "best"---NIH and Johns Hopkins, after much of the above testing done in VB. ;)

I requested to have it done in September, before I moved. Everything except my Lyme and co-infections tests have been negative...hence, thats what I've been dx'ed with and now treating.

Laura- I probably knew this but I amm so brain-dead right now! I'm sorry. I hope you weren't upset that I forgot! :(
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#14 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:57 AM

Bev...no, not at all! It was said more "tongue in cheek" about the best care ;).
You have enough on your plate, no worries!

#15 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:26 AM

One of the first celiac experts I ever heard, Dr. Cynthia Rudert, said the top two reasons some people who have celiac don't get better is non-compliance with the diet and bacterial overgrowth.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: