13 replies to this topic

#1 EmilyElizabeth

EmilyElizabeth

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

Does anyone know of a good gluten-free tomato soup? I've found a couple of soups at the store that are gluten-free but am apprehensive to buy. I'm getting tired of buying expensive gluten-free items, trying them, and finding that they really suck. I bought Health Valley Tomato soup but it tasted like watered down marinara sauce. So if anybody knows of a tasty tomato soup or even something like spaghettios I'd be REALLY grateful...Thanks lots.
EMILY

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:14 AM

My son & I both eat Amy's tomato soup. I think there is a tomato bisque and a cream of tomato and a regular tomato. They are yummy!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

What I'd do is just buy ordinary tomato paste, and make my own soup. Then I can add whatever I want, and it'll be safe, delicious, and cheaper than pre-made stuff.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 watchthestars

watchthestars

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

I like the Images organic soups that come premade in a boxed carton. The tomato is decent. I wasn't crazy about it at first because i was comparing it to Campbells, but it's actually not bad. It's pretty healthy too!
Elaine

unofficial celiac. i'm not up for the gluten challenge.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain --Maya Angelou

#5 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

I buy the Amy's lowfat tomato bisque - it is so yummy! And I don't even usually like tomato soup b/c like you said, it can taste like spaghetti sauce - yuck!

#6 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

I like the Imagine Foods tomato soup too. It's dairy-free too, which is good for us. I think it's a little too rich, so I add some water. My daughter likes to add some milk.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#7 Suzie_GFfamily

Suzie_GFfamily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

What I'd do is just buy ordinary tomato paste, and make my own soup. Then I can add whatever I want, and it'll be safe, delicious, and cheaper than pre-made stuff.

How would you do this? Do you just add water to the paste, if so how much?
Suzie

London, ON, Canada
celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:13 AM

Doesn't Heinz make a soup in UK that's distributed in USA which is gluten-free? Or is this just a rumour?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

How would you do this? Do you just add water to the paste, if so how much?

Suzie,

Please let me make a suggestion. Broaden your information base a little. There are many cooking websites available to anyone and everyone. One of my favs is allrecipes.com. Took me about 5 seconds to go from your question to this:

http://allrecipes.co...erm=tomato soup

Yes, that's right, 240 recipes for tomato soup! Any kind you like. The recipes are posted there by regular people just like you and I, so you have to keep that in mind. But they have a rating system whereby people can post comments about their opinions of the recipes. I usually look at several dozen recipes and use them as a guide to make my own.

There's also:

http://www.epicurious.com/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

Best regards, lm

p.s., BTW, it goes without saying (but I guess to CMA just in case anyone comments on it) substitute any gluten ingredients with gluten-free ingredients!

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#10 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:44 AM

There are many cooking websites available to anyone and everyone...I usually look at several dozen recipes and use them as a guide to make my own.

Thanks lm. That's what I do when I'm stuck for a recipe. Google is a good friend.

Anyway, though it's been awhile since I've eaten tomato soup, I think I recall carrots being important to the flavor. I usually just dive in and attempt stuff, so here's what I'd do if I was going to make tomato soup:
Put some carrots, and a bit of fresh celery, onion, and garlic in a blender. Whip into a fine puree, adding water as needed. Pour that into a pot along with one can of tomato paste, and add enough water to make it on the thin side for tomato soup. Add some spices like oregano, basil, and a little salt. Mix in some arrowroot, which will thicken it up to the desired consistency. Heat to a slow simmer, stirring constantly while the arrowroot does it's job. Taste it and see if we got it right :lol:

The reason to thin it out only to thicken it up again is so it's not too tomatoey/acidic. The carrots and celery will help there too though.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#11 Suzie_GFfamily

Suzie_GFfamily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

Suzie,

Please let me make a suggestion. Broaden your information base a little. There are many cooking websites available to anyone and everyone. One of my favs is allrecipes.com. Took me about 5 seconds to go from your question to this:

http://allrecipes.co...erm=tomato soup

Yes, that's right, 240 recipes for tomato soup! Any kind you like. The recipes are posted there by regular people just like you and I, so you have to keep that in mind. But they have a rating system whereby people can post comments about their opinions of the recipes. I usually look at several dozen recipes and use them as a guide to make my own.

There's also:

http://www.epicurious.com/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

Best regards, lm
p.s., BTW, it goes without saying (but I guess to CMA just in case anyone comments on it) substitute any gluten ingredients with gluten-free ingredients!

Thanks for the links and the recipes lm :o)

Google is definitely my friend and I often get recipes from places like allrecipes.com- they have lots and lots of good ones, don't they?

I was just curious about how someone would go about making a tomato soup from a tin of paste. Most tomato soup recipes that I'm familiar with use fresh tomoatoes (which we don't always have on hand) or condensed tomato soup (and I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the gluten-free condensed soups). I did a little searching before writing my post the other day and wasn't able to find a recipe using tin tomato paste (except a couple that also required fresh tomoatoes).

I have found some recipes which use tomoato juice- that would probably be less expensive than buying the commercially prepared gluten-free soups, and I could keep some tin juice on hand in our cupboard.

Suzie
Suzie

London, ON, Canada

#12 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:10 AM

Doesn't Heinz make a soup in UK that's distributed in USA which is gluten-free? Or is this just a rumour?

Yes, I've ordered it on-line from a gluten free grocery (the name escapes me, but it's out there). The Heniz is almost exactly like the Campbells, yummmmmy.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#13 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the links and the recipes lm :o)

Google is definitely my friend and I often get recipes from places like allrecipes.com- they have lots and lots of good ones, don't they?

I was just curious about how someone would go about making a tomato soup from a tin of paste. Most tomato soup recipes that I'm familiar with use fresh tomoatoes (which we don't always have on hand) or condensed tomato soup (and I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the gluten-free condensed soups). I did a little searching before writing my post the other day and wasn't able to find a recipe using tin tomato paste (except a couple that also required fresh tomoatoes).

I have found some recipes which use tomoato juice- that would probably be less expensive than buying the commercially prepared gluten-free soups, and I could keep some tin juice on hand in our cupboard.

Suzie

Sorry Suzie, I misinterpeted your post. Boy, that's so easy to do (for me anyways).

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#14 Suzie_GFfamily

Suzie_GFfamily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Sorry Suzie, I misinterpeted your post. Boy, that's so easy to do (for me anyways).

best regards, lm

That's OK lm, not a problem at all.

I appreciate your helpfulness!

Suzie
Suzie

London, ON, Canada

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: