This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1st Gluten Free Birthday

angel42

angel42 Enthusiast

Hi,

My birthday is on Monday. I was diagnosed in October so this is my first gluten-free birthday. I usually make a big deal out of my birthday and start planning something a month in advance but this year I can't get into it. My friends at work already told me they are not getting me a gluten-free cake (they get cakes for everyone's birthday) since it would be too expensive and I'm not bringing my own birthday cake that's just too sad. I usually spend weeks picking the perfect birthday restaurant but I am so sensitive to gluten that my choices are pretty limited. I just don't have the energy to go somewhere on my birthday and spend the entire meal worrying about getting sick and explaining things to waiters.

I actually have a twin sister who fortunately for her is not Celiac. She just told me that for our birthday her husband sent her this huge bakery delivery from what she says is the "best bakery ever". She didn't want to send me the link since she said it would just make me feel bad.

Did anyone else go through this on their first gluten-free birthday?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I always liked ice cream better than cake anyway ... can your office have ice cream instead of cake?

Can you go to a restaurant with a gluten-free menu? It's easy to order that way.

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm sorry you're feeling mopey, I hope it doesn't last. My birthday came after I'd been gluten-free for 7 months, so I was more used to it, and I guess I haven't liked cake (hmmm.....) for several years so I didn't miss it.

Carla has a good point, there's more to birthdays then cake! You should get ice cream and confetti!

And then order yourself something expensive and nummy and have your own birthday weekend with just your closest friends.

johnsoniu Apprentice

Sorry you're feeling down. I do like the idea about ice cream instead.

But, I don't understand why your "friends" at work won't make a gluten-free cake for you? They're not THAT much more expensive. Just goes to reinforce my theory that for the first few weeks after our Dx we are a novelty item, then we gradually become a nuisance and eventually bothersome to "their" precious lifestyle.

Just yesterday we had bagels at work for a meeting (God forbid we have a meeting without food) and I spent the rest of the day kicking people out of my office when they tried to come in while stuffing left-overs in their mouths.

I think I'll go get some chewing tobacco and walk around the office spitting in a cup and see how they like it :huh:

Vent over, hope you have a happy ice cream-filled birthday.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

My mom makes cakes for all her firends birthdays, and she made a ice cream cake for one of them who is GI and ever scince then it's her most requested type of cake! She laughs because it's SO easy!

2 gallons ice cream - softened

2 containers cool whip

put ice cream in pan level - freeze

apply cool whip add candles and wha-la!

lonewolf Collaborator

Make an ice cream "cake" by mixing in some gluten-free cookie crumbs or making a layer of crumbs on top - kind of like a Dairy Queen cake.

It is hard on that first birthday when you just want to have someone else take charge and make you feel special. I think we can all understand that.

Couldn't your co-workers bring in a large tub of ice cream and some toppings and have a sundae party?

Yenni Enthusiast

I am sorry you feel down. I felt that way on my birthday in February too, so I know what you mean. My husband made a good dinner so that made up for it some.

I always used to like ice creme better than cake too so that would be a good idea if you like and can have it. :P I wish I could have ice creme.. Have you seen this brand? Open Original Shared Link Maybe they sell it near you..? (I didn't look where you live before I started typing.)

It is sad how everything evolves around food when it comes to celebrating I think. I wish things were a little different with that. That people would DO things together instead. Maybe go bowling. I dunno.

I really hope you'll get a good birthday. It'll be different but maybe "good different". Hopefully you'll find a good way to celebrate your birthday as time goes by.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Susanna Newbie

Hey, angel42--oh, yeah--that first gluten-free birthday was tough. My husband took me to a really nice restaurant, and we talked with the chef ahead of time, and she came up with a fantastic, beautiful, delicious piece-of-art-looking dessert just for me (fruit, meringue, whipped cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce and served on a beautiful crystal plate). I felt pampered, not deprived. At work, though, yeah it's hard--every time there's a birthday, someone brings in a cake that I can't have and that's always a bummer. I stock Dove Promises (good dark chocolate in individually wrapped squares) in my desk, and pull these out for just such occasions.

For my son's first gluten-free b.day (he was turning 11), we put together a giant sundae bar, with several choices of ice creams and lots of sauces and nuts, sprinkles, etc., so everyone could build their own.

I bought Gluten Free Pantry's angel cake mix on the web (through www.amazon .com), and they make GREAT cakes--I'm going to make one for my next birthday.

Here are some gluten-free desserts that are delicious and elegant and natually gluten-free: creme brulee, chocolate mouse, chocolate dipped strawberries, flan, rice pudding.

Sorry--it does feel lonely and isolated, I know.

Good luck.

Susanna

angel42 Enthusiast

Thank you so much everyone for all of your advice! Johnsoniu I laughed when I read this since this is Friday and every Friday my boss brings in bagels for the office. The thing that kills me is that no matter how many times I have told people about the Celiac there are still people that offer me a bagel every Friday. When I remind them they so "oh yeah! I forgot! Sorry" How do you forget every week?

Anyway, I think I have the birthday thing straightened out. My husband made reservations at Bistango which I found on the boards here. It's an Italian place and someone said they can adapt most of the menu to be gluten-free, so that's all set.

As for work I spoke to my closest friend at work who seems to be the only one who actually gets the whole Celiac thing. (I have another good friend at work who is constantly comparing my Celiac to her lactose intolerance as if it is the same thing. Last time I checked there was no "Glutenaid" pill we could take) He seemed to be on board with the whole sundae party idea. I think most ice cream is supposed to be gluten-free unless it has something obviously gluten-y like cookies or brownies, is that right?

Sorry you're feeling down. I do like the idea about ice cream instead.

But, I don't understand why your "friends" at work won't make a gluten-free cake for you? They're not THAT much more expensive. Just goes to reinforce my theory that for the first few weeks after our Dx we are a novelty item, then we gradually become a nuisance and eventually bothersome to "their" precious lifestyle.

Just yesterday we had bagels at work for a meeting (God forbid we have a meeting without food) and I spent the rest of the day kicking people out of my office when they tried to come in while stuffing left-overs in their mouths.

I think I'll go get some chewing tobacco and walk around the office spitting in a cup and see how they like it :huh:

Vent over, hope you have a happy ice cream-filled birthday.

johnsoniu Apprentice

Glad to hear things are looking better for your birthday! :rolleyes:

You are correct on most ice creams being gluten free unless it's something like cookie-dough or oreo cookie, etc.

Edy's ice cream even labels their gluten free brands as such, it is located under the nutritional information block on each package.

BFreeman Explorer
Thank you so much everyone for all of your advice! Johnsoniu I laughed when I read this since this is Friday and every Friday my boss brings in bagels for the office. The thing that kills me is that no matter how many times I have told people about the Celiac there are still people that offer me a bagel every Friday. When I remind them they so "oh yeah! I forgot! Sorry" How do you forget every week?

Anyway, I think I have the birthday thing straightened out. My husband made reservations at Bistango which I found on the boards here. It's an Italian place and someone said they can adapt most of the menu to be gluten-free, so that's all set.

As for work I spoke to my closest friend at work who seems to be the only one who actually gets the whole Celiac thing. (I have another good friend at work who is constantly comparing my Celiac to her lactose intolerance as if it is the same thing. Last time I checked there was no "Glutenaid" pill we could take) He seemed to be on board with the whole sundae party idea. I think most ice cream is supposed to be gluten-free unless it has something obviously gluten-y like cookies or brownies, is that right?

Try this for a birthday cake: Crush up either some gluten-free cereal or gluten-free cookies; not too many; and sprinkle them over the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan. Mix 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened, 1 can fat-free Eagle milk, 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter. Fold in 2 8-oz. cartons fat free Cool Whip, thawed. Spread half over the crumbs, sprinkle with chopped dry-roasted peanuts, drizzle with chocolate syrup, spread on the other half of mixture, top with more chopped peanuts and chocolate syrup. Freeze until firm. Take out of freezer 10 minutes before serving; put birthday candles on.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I guess I am cut from a different mold them others, it never bothered me to go gluten free. Giving up wheat, rye, barley, and oats was great since I felt so much better. The only thing I missed was bread and noodles. For years and years going somewhere and eating was not enjoyable to me, so I began to associate good times as being with friends, people I love, not food. I do not need food to feel happy.

Yes, I have become more sensitive about it all because of all of my intolerance's. If I could live simply gluten free, I would be so happy. I never associate a good time with food. I do not eat out and rarely trust others to cook safely for me. There are a very few who I do trust and of course, they are the ones that know and believe my intolerances.

I never really liked cake anyways--ice cream party sounds great!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Guest lorlyn

Just wanted to wish you a Very Happy Birthday :rolleyes: When we found out my 10 yr old daughter and husband have Celiac it was right before Thanksgiving :( It was hard on my husband who loves to eat especially my sister made from scratch german chocolate cake. As a mother the depression that comes with Celiac is the hardest part that I can not fix for her . It just breaks my heart. :( Be strong and enjoy all that you can. :P

rach6886 Newbie

My b-day in Feb. was tough too. I tried to make myself the gluten-free Pantry Angel Food cake but it failed miserably b/c i don't own a hand mixer. and the "gluten-free cupcakes" a friend got me at a regular bakery in DC made me sick! boo! I was in a gluten-free slump. My boyfriend and i used to love to eat out and i became extremely frustrated with sticking to salad and baked potato or unmarinated steak (which, for the most part taste the same at every darn restaurant!! no fun). Now he's has begun treating me with wonderful wines for special occasions and when we eat out so that I have something to look forward to other than the food. So for my birthday we opened a very fancy bottle and indulged. I didn't even miss the cake! Who wants cake with wine anyway???

This might not work for everyone but I would encourage you to find something else about those "social" eating events to look forward to - other than the food.

Guhlia Rising Star

Carvel can make a gluten free ice cream cake. It won't cost any more than a regular ice cream cake. I think all they have to leave out are the crunchies. You'll have to call your local Carvel for more info, but it seems like something worth looking into if you like to celebrate. Also, perhaps you could suggest this for other office parties so you can take part in things.

Also, Dairy Queen can make a gluten free ice cream cake. You will need to have them leave out the cake crunchies, but everything else is gluten free. Make sure they know you have a severe intolerance so that they use caution when making your cake.

Guest cassidy

My first birthday was very hard. My father in law has the same birthday and they made him my favorite kind of cake and I sat there and watched everyone else eat it. That was the day after we all went out to dinner for our birthdays and I tried to be careful ordering but I got very sick. I was not happy and just wanted to go home.

I just had a baby shower and I made my own cake. Everyone else had gluten cake and I cut small pieces of mine so everyone could try it. It was good and everyone said it was edible. I used the gluten free pantry recipe and made some chocolate frosting. I was happy and didn't feel left out and it was much easier than watching everyone else eat.

I froze some of the cake in pieces and I will have one of those at my birthday in a few weeks. I also told everyone that I will be happy to go out to eat to celebrate my FIL's b-day, but not on my actual b-day because I want to do things for me that day. I don't eat in restaurants because I usually get sick and I'm very pregnant and not taking any chances. You can always establish a new birthday tradition. I realize that it takes time to grieve and I certainly went through that, but once you get to the point where you are ready to make the best of it, it isn't so bad. I'm going to get a massage on my birthday, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Hope you have a good birthday!

Archived