6 replies to this topic

#1 surfgolden

surfgolden

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease on December 5th, 2006. I have since been adhering to a strictly gluten free diet. Over the last month, I have been experiencing swelling in my legs. My legs are their normal size in the mornings, but throughout the day, they swell to be quite big. More often now, my arms will swell and when my arms swell, my face is generally puffy. Sometimes I feel as though my torso swells when the swelling is inordinate in my arms and legs.

Prior to my diagnosis, I had no real medical history. Even now, all my blood work is normal, including thyroid, glucose, ferratin and hemoglobin, kidney and so forth. I take no medications except for clonopon (sp?) which is for my restless leg syndrome and I am cutting back on that as that rarely causes me any problems either. My BP runs 90-ish over 60-ish all the time.

I am 47 years old, work out 90 minutes a day and eat healthy 6 days out of the 7 days a week. I splurge foodwise one day a week. My biggest vice is Diet Coke. I know I drink too much of it. I don't drink alcohol or smoke. I am 5 ft. 7 inches tall and weigh 140 lbs.

My doctor speculates that I have an increased salt sesitivity perhaps due to the celiac disease. She is stumped I believe. On days where my salt intake is fairly moderate, I have swelling. On days that I eat a more salt, I am that much more swollen. Having said that, one might say that yes, salt is the problem.

Last night was my splurge night so I had french fries and a few nuts. This morning, I was noticeably swollen all over to the point that I could not button a pair of pants that are normally loose. It is very unsettling to say the least, especially since salt has never been a problem for me prior to now.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Has anyone become more salt senstive as a result of celiac disease? Any other possibilities that I should consider?

I would appreciate any information.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

Has your doctor done a simple urine test for protein? I had something similar and it turned out to be a kidney disease, even though my kidney function was 100%. I'll spare you all the details, but it's a simple test for your doctor to do. I would at least want to rule this out if I were you. I had problems with salt too. (I'm fine now and can eat salt again.)
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#3 UR Groovy

UR Groovy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

Has your doctor done a simple urine test for protein? I had something similar and it turned out to be a kidney disease, even though my kidney function was 100%. I'll spare you all the details, but it's a simple test for your doctor to do. I would at least want to rule this out if I were you. I had problems with salt too. (I'm fine now and can eat salt again.)

I'm going to second this - I have the kidney thing too. Swelling too. If you haven't had your protein checked and you decide to, you may want to get your cholesterol checked also.
Could have nothing to do with this. One of the symptoms you will sometimes have with this is "foamy" urine.
Your BP looks low. High BP is usually associated with this problem, but mine is normal range usually. Hope you find your answer in any case.

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

I have found a magnesium supplement to be very effective for increasing nutrient absorption. It seems to help with proteins, carbs, fats, and I think a few other things. It has helped to reduce or eliminate the swelling most of the time, unless I really over indulge.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 UR Groovy

UR Groovy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

If you haven't had your protein checked and you decide to, you may want to get your cholesterol checked also.

On second thought, just the protein test would be a much easier way to rule it out. The cholesterol test will probably be unneccesary unless something shows up on the simpler (protein) test.

#6 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

I know french fries are high in sulfites. The reason being they would turn brown once peeled and exposed to the air. Some people will have a sensitivity to sulfites if you want to do a google search on it. I can't recall all the foods high in sulfites other then wine, greens in a salad bar (so they stay fresh looking, dried fruits, and I believe lunch meats.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#7 surfgolden

surfgolden

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

Thanks to all of you for your prompt responses. I have had that particular urine test and the results were fine.
I will research the sulfites angle as suggested by one of you, however, I've experienced excessive swelling without having eaten fries. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: