This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Laparoscopy For Endometriosis

SpikeMoore

SpikeMoore Apprentice

Hi everyone

Just had a lap and dye test yesterday. Wasn't too bad at all. I know that there was a cyst on one ovary for sure and the rest I'll find out at my follow up visit in 5 days. Just wondering who has had experience with this, ie did the endo return? Were you able to get pregnant? I'm 36 and have never had a baby and am beginning to think I'm a little old (although a year ago I married the best guy in the world and would love to have a mini version of him).

My hope is that in combination with gluten free happy guts, there will be less inflammation in the area and the endo will be less likely to flare up. I'd be happy to control the periods and spotting that were getting out of hand, although I did notice a big improvement in the past couple of months having gone gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dally099 Contributor

hi there, ive soo been what your going through, i was 22 when i went for my endo, and me and hubby were planning the wedding but didnt want me waddling down the isle, the day of my endo my doc told me that i had endomitriosis, and he phoned me a couple of days later to make sure that i had been able to understand him after surgery. i went for my follow up a week later and we decided to put me on shots (cant remember the name of the drug any more) that would put me into menopause so no periods or ovulation, this would keep me clean for 3 months until i was married and ready to be prego. i had hot flashes and nausea and gained 10lbs (squeezed into my wedding dress i was soooo upset) but got married in august, went off the shots we worked at it for a couple of months decided that was no fun and quit trying in november 1998 and found out i was pregnent just before xmas of that year, had my daughter the following aug, decided we wanted another kid april 2001, my doc wanted me to use clomid, i said no way and bought myself a fertility monitor that you pee on the stick every morning and it tells you when you are ovulating, ( i didnt ovulate on day 14 like your supposed to day 21 for me), i found out i was prego in aug 2001had my son april 2002, decided that we wanted another kid in aug 2003 decided we would let nature take its course for once found out was i was prego in oct 2003 and had my daughter june 2004, decided in feb 2005 we wanted another and seeing as i was going to be 30 years that year and wanted a hysterectomy eventually (due to the pain in between pregnancys and being on the pill was AWFULL!!) decided to let nature take its course again, no docs, and found out mothers day weekend that i was preg again, and she was the jan 1 2006 baby for my area!!, i had a hysterectomy in march 2006. so there is loads of hope for you!! :lol:

i will say however that since having my hysterectomy i have had some health issues, potentially being celiac one of them and a host of new food allergies another but in the long run i dont regret it as living with chronic pain and bleeding sucked even more. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted. if you have any questions email me:

dally099@hotmail.com

tomsmom Newbie

I had two laps done for endometriosis. I felt a lot better after the first one but still couldn't get pregnant. When my endo symptoms came back 2 years later I did some research before I went under again. I learned that abdominal surgery can cause inflammation and adhesions. The endometriosis also causes adhesions. So, I wasn't getting pregnant because my tubes were all kinked up from lots of adhesions. Surgeons can use special adhesion barriers that prevent this from happening.

My surgeon zapped all the endometriosis away, cleaned up all the terrible adhesions, straightened out my tubes, and then wrapped everything in adhesion barriers. Adhesion barriers are like gauze pads that melt into a lubricating gel that keeps tissue from getting irritated while it heals from the lazers. This worked great but I still didn't get pregnant right away.

The biggest and most important thing for me was taking baby aspirin once in the morning and again before bed. Once a day is not enough. Both the endometriosis and the celiac's disease cause really bad inflammation in the pelvis and abdomin. Once the aspirin got the inflammation under control I got pregnant and had a beautiful baby boy. This all took about 5 years.

Also, it's important to watch out for two more serious Celiac related conditions that can cause infertility. I just found out with some blood work with my current pregnancy that I have a secondary condition called thrombophilia. Mine is caused by a protein S difficency and may have been the cause of several early misscarriages. The aspirin also helps with this condition but since I'm pregnant (a baby girl due in July) I have to take daily blood thinner injections. Also, I have blood sugar issues from a borderline case of diabetis. Uncontroled diabetis or insulin resistance can cause PCOS or irregular ovulation.

After this baby is born I'm going to seriously consider a hysterectomy too.

Best of luck to you.

SpikeMoore Apprentice

Thank you both for your replies. I just found out today that I have moderate to severe endometriosis. So chances of pregnancy are pretty well zippo. I thought I was having a lap with laser treatment, but the surgeon said that it was quite advanced and that he would have had to seriously damage the ovary with the endometrioma. So he opted to tell me I should have IVF. I don't think so. It's too much of a roller coaster emotionally and I think that the hormones they inject are not good for you.

But I will try the baby aspirin. That seems to make sense. If I opt for a surgical fix, I like the idea of the adhesion barriers too.

Thanks for your advice and support. People on this forum have been excellent. Sometimes we all need a little support.

• 2 weeks later...
April in KC Apprentice

I have had a couple of laps for endometriosis-related pain in my 20s. I started TTC after a lap at age 26. I did not get pregnant right away, and my endo pain got worse. Part of the problem with endo is that it changes the peritoneal fluid--lots of prostaglandins (cramp-producing substances) in the fluid. Just because of the pain, I started taking the maximum daily dosage of Aleve, which I believe is 3 tablets. I don't recommend this--I was bruising rather easily. I did get pregnant while doing this, about 13 months after I started TTC. I didn't realize I was PG at first and kept taking Aleve at least through the 7th week. I had a lot of cramps in the first trimester (your endo flares in the 1st trimester, quiets in the 2nd and 3rd). My son is 6 years old now.

I had multiple miscarriages after that. Like another poster, I found I had a sticky blood problem, in my case antiphospholipid antibodies (specifically anticardiolipin antibodies). I started taking baby aspirin daily (no more Aleve by this time). It's important if you're going to take baby aspirin to take it daily, even prior to ovulation...pregancies are more successful this way. Also, with your doc's permission, keep taking it after you get pregnant, at least until the blood supply to the fetus is well established. I have had two more sons who have been conceived and carried while I was taking baby aspirin.

I also ovulated late in cycle--closer to day 19 than day 14.

Sorry about the extensive endo. I hate that stuff. Best wishes. Hopefully the baby aspirin does the trick--you can use the enteric coated if your stomach is sensitive. Of course, ask your doc if it's okay. Some also recommend taking guaifenisen around ovulation to help thin CM. Plain robitussin with only one active ingredient--don't get the multi-symptom kind.

April

cchhrriiss Newbie

I have severe endometriosis. It's been zapped five times. My first doc thought I should have a hysterectomy at the age of 17. He said, I couldn't have children.Went to a new doc. Well ,one miscarriage, and two pregnancies later we have three healthy children (one adopted.) One warning....Each time the doc went through my belly button. It weakend the stomache wall (not sure proper terms). I had a severe umbilical hernia that had to be repaired. Ever since problems with Wheat and Gluten. Who would of thought!!!!!!!!

dally099 Contributor
I have severe endometriosis. It's been zapped five times. My first doc thought I should have a hysterectomy at the age of 17. He said, I couldn't have children.Went to a new doc. Well ,one miscarriage, and two pregnancies later we have three healthy children (one adopted.) One warning....Each time the doc went through my belly button. It weakend the stomache wall (not sure proper terms). I had a severe umbilical hernia that had to be repaired. Ever since problems with Wheat and Gluten. Who would of thought!!!!!!!!

hey its interesting that you would say that! i had my 4th baby newyears day of 2006 and my hysterectomy through my belly button on march 13th 2006, this is when my problems began, started with some stomach pain and gas, and this xmas i got very sick! i have been wondering if my hysterectomy maybe kicked off celiac, or at least a gluten sensitivity. would love to here your thoughts on it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momof2sn Apprentice
hey its interesting that you would say that! i had my 4th baby newyears day of 2006 and my hysterectomy through my belly button on march 13th 2006, this is when my problems began, started with some stomach pain and gas, and this xmas i got very sick! i have been wondering if my hysterectomy maybe kicked off celiac, or at least a gluten sensitivity. would love to here your thoughts on it

Hello,

I am not a person with celiac disease ( I found this site looking for some answers for my daughter)

I just wanted to say that I am a mom of two children. I have endo also and haven't had a lap for 9 years which shocks the heck out of my doctor. I take a natural progesterone cream by Lame Advertisement it is called Prolief. It is amazing. I was given shots for my son and found out about this cream about 4 years ago. I accidently got pregnant with my daughter. She is now 21 months. I also have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and take glucophage daily. I thought I wouldn't need the cream anymore. But I do!! It makes a huge difference in my life. I just wanted to encourage you women out there. Also the Prolief makes you more fertile ( so they say). I have also been told that the glucophage makes you fertile too. I'm being carefull now I'm not ready for any more babies yet!!! I also wanted to add that I am like you wanting a hysto too, but my doctor told me I would just be exchanging one problem for another. You know I'm glad at least he is honest. Most Doc's do the surgery and don't let you know that things will get better in one area but you will have a whole new set of issues. Shealey

cchhrriiss Newbie

Dally099, I'm not sure, but I'm suspicious. Having endometrios, I've always had stomache pain, but it seems much better...well gone since gluten free. The only reason I went gluten free though was after my surgery I got this terrible rash on my face. Very loose stools, and abnormal stomache swelling. Well, long story short, 8 doctors couln't figure it out. I got the flu( couldn't eat a thing), and it cleared a little. I knew it had to be food. I tried wheat and gluten several times each time I get sick and a rash. I'v finally convinced my doctor, but can't get tested. 1 day on wheat I can't leave the house. What about you?

dally099 Contributor
Dally099, I'm not sure, but I'm suspicious. Having endometrios, I've always had stomache pain, but it seems much better...well gone since gluten free. The only reason I went gluten free though was after my surgery I got this terrible rash on my face. Very loose stools, and abnormal stomache swelling. Well, long story short, 8 doctors couln't figure it out. I got the flu( couldn't eat a thing), and it cleared a little. I knew it had to be food. I tried wheat and gluten several times each time I get sick and a rash. I'v finally convinced my doctor, but can't get tested. 1 day on wheat I can't leave the house. What about you?

well ive had such horrible pain all the time that i wouldnt know if it was due to celiac's, my weight has allways been on the low side, but since my big H i have had gas issues and upset stomach for a while i had to cut out salads and veggies as they were giving me horrible gas, im wondering about dairy right now as well. i did a gluten challenge for a week and had lots of neurological symptoms first, and then the pain and D started after 6 days i was miserable now im back to gluten-free.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I also have had two laparoscopies for endo. Was diagnosed in my early 20's, and told I would have a 50/50 chance of ever being able to conceive. Got married at 29 and we decided to start trying right away as it might take us a couple of years. Four months later I was pregnant. I now have four wonderful children, including twin 6 yr old boys!

Sometimes I feel like marching into his office with my clan and showing him what 50/50 got me! LOL!

I guess the point I am trying to make is don't always believe EVERYTHING the doctors say.

Hugs.

Karen

JodiC Apprentice

I also had severe endo, which I choose to have a complete hyto for. However, I have 3 children (two are twins) after being told I would never conceive. The pregnancies were difficult and I was on bedrest for both due to premature labor but the kids were healthy. I didn't know I had Celiac at this time or it could have been different. I choose not to do HRT because endo thrives on estrogen so if I take it the endo starts up again. I have endo all over my intestines and stomach also. I read an article stating that endo is cause by celiac. I can't remember what article though.

DoriGates Newbie

When I was 18 back in 1985, I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I had 6 laps, one baby (1991), and a total hyst (1999). Sometimes I feel that if I had know about the celiac, which was not diagnosed until after the hyst, I would have been better off. It took about three years to get pregnant and I am greatful that I was able to. sometimes I felt like it was never going to happen. Finally, after some relaxation, I was pregnant. I was so stressed out from the Lupron and Depo and anything I could try to get rid of the endo to get pregnant. the Lupron was the last thing I tried and I waited about six months. After some tender loving care and relaxation it happend. In 1999 I had a total hyst. and in my opinion, it was the best thing for me at the time. I always though that there was some correlation between the endo and the celiac.

Archived